Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

based on the "leaked" information today.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 07, 2023, 02:11:37 PMI'm sure parents all over Finland are proud for their kids to go outside and see that as representative of their nation's commitment to Peace and Freedom.

That picture is from last winter, fresh after the invasion, from a cross-country World Cup event iirc. Russian athletes were not disallowed, it caused quite an upset. Including that stupid snow sculpture.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

Not surprising. Was it to advertise an, 'Event'?  :HideEyes:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

ya it was protesting the "event" of russian trash invading a country.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 07, 2023, 08:43:42 PMbased on the "leaked" information today.

If accurate, that means "battalion" in Russian = "company maybe reinforced". Or "depleted". Or "screwed".
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, remember my previous post where Russia and China gang up to hustle land out of unsuspecting suckers, possibly opening up a way for China to leverage Russia to cede Crimea while settling for the Donbass?

Well, Zeihan has some brief comments on developments since then -- not about the BRICS agreement, but overlapping topically in places.

The less-than-a-few-minutes version is, China hates Russia, and cannot be trusted, and is IMMEDIATELY looking for ways to screw Russia over on land control.  :twirl:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Also, whassup with Turkey in the past week in geopolitical strategy regarding the Ukraine war:

Short version, "the Turks are Ferengis", but Ferengis with the 2nd largest NATO army on the ground in Europe.

Sir Slash

Yeah they could whip somebody if they could only figure-out who they're for and who they're against.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

As of two weeks ago, Zeihan was still "this is Russia's war to lose, they'll have more than half a million troops against Ukraine soon, etc.", and I still don't understand his reasoning. In the interview from then (I can post a link later today), the host immediately questioned whether the Orks had solved their logistical problem, and he instantly affirmed that all their crushing problems from logistics on down are still in place but that 'quantity is a quality' and they can still win with unsupported trash troops without destroying their own nation in the process (faster than they're already going down -- which he agrees will happen for many of the same reasons that have fatally handicapped their fight so far.)

I do not understand his persistence on this at all. It still seems to be 'well, Stalin did it, therefore...' without the slightest real comparison with Stalin's situation aside from the trivial surface similarity of sometimes-Stalin-had-to-use-trash-troops-and-also-failed-his-first-year-so-there.  :doh:

GDS_Starfury

russia doesnt have the people to win.  they still need to maintain their police forces, fire stations, government agencies like the fsb.  they need to maintain some form of presence along their extemely long borders ( now even longer with Finland).  they need to maintain some level of industry from mining to manufacture.  you just cant take huge swaths of men between 18 and 45 and expect your country to survive.
now while the same would seem to hold true for the Ukraine, it isn't.  they ARE fighting for their survival so those rules change.  its important to note that Ukraine isn't suffering from brain drain of their people leaving.  they're also getting massive aid from the West.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

FarAway Sooner

Interesting footage of that plane taking off on the highway.  It looks like an Su-29 to me, but if anybody else here can testify to the contrary, I'll defer to their judgment.

One of the biggest reasons that F-16s aren't practical in Ukraine is because they need long stretches of highway that are kept very clean of debris for take-off in particular.  That requirement is acceptable for NATO countries, who have always relied on being able to maintain relative air superiority over their own borders and who have been able to invest extensively in keeping their own takeoff surfaces relatively pristine. 

But it's not nearly as feasible in a place like Ukraine, where Russian projectiles fall out of the sky on a regular basis and enemy surveillance could easily pick out the sorts of days-long logistical efforts it would take to make a runway readily usable for an F-16.

GDS_Starfury

the USAF and NATO have practiced from rough fields for decades, its 100% able to operate in the environment.
the two planes in question are a Mig 29 and Su 25.  for a fun google search look up Swedish highway take offs.
one of the main ideas behind this is a minimal footprint and logistic tail and hopping around a whole lot to avoid
getting hit.