Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

In the old days, academics and intelligence experts called the whole process of trying to figure out what was going on inside the Soviet political hierarchy "crypto-politics".  Seeing who was standing next to Khrushchev at particular parades or ceremonies was used to infer who might have more power or legitimacy within the Politburo at the moment, which was used to try to predict what policy decisions might occur in particular spheres.  It was also used to try to predict who might be the next-in-line if a current Soviet Premier died.

I heard an interview earlier this year with the guy who was the CIA Station Chief for Russia for over a decade back during the Cold War, and he said, "The only thing that has remained predictable about Russia is its ability to perpetually surprise you more than you thought you could be surprised."

I don't think anybody knows what the power dynamics or decision making is like within the Russians Halls of Power.  Trying to infer motive--much less ability--from some of the comments coming out of Russian state press, Russian leaders, etc. is a total guessing game.

SirAndrewD

^ This is entirely true.  One thing that you learn about studying Russian history and politics is the only thing predictable is its total unpredictability. 

The thing is, not even the Russians know who is in line, who is close to taking or keeping power, who is safe and who isn't.  I think of Alexander's death whenever I think of the parting of every Russian strongman.  In the end the one who will succeed is "The strongest". 

This stuff goes back even to the Tsars. 

There's a reason Prigozhin is keeping himself near the front line surrounded by his loyal men.  I don't think even he knows 100% where he really stands.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Russia: BE FEARED OF OUR HYPERSOUNDIC SPEARS OF UNSTOPPING!!  :RockOn:

Ukraine: yeah, working on that...

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 16, 2023, 01:26:41 PMThere's a reason Prigozhin is keeping himself near the front line surrounded by his loyal men.  I don't think even he knows 100% where he really stands.

"If I blow out all windows in Ukraine, I am not standing near windows."  :pirate:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I never thought of this war in Alexandrian terms, especially on the Russian side, but reading a lot of ancient history now...it kinda works.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

seems a game of missile command in happening over Kiev.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Crossroads

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 16, 2023, 01:26:41 PM^ This is entirely true.  One thing that you learn about studying Russian history and politics is the only thing predictable is its total unpredictability. 

The thing is, not even the Russians know who is in line, who is close to taking or keeping power, who is safe and who isn't.  I think of Alexander's death whenever I think of the parting of every Russian strongman.  In the end the one who will succeed is "The strongest". 

This stuff goes back even to the Tsars. 

There's a reason Prigozhin is keeping himself near the front line surrounded by his loyal men.  I don't think even he knows 100% where he really stands.

Seems a proper bulldogs-under-a-carpet brew is being cooked as we speak. Corpses of smaller players have been hurled out, defenestrated, or committed a suicide with their family, but it is difficult to know what is a power play and what is part of the mafia turf wars that surface once and a while, too.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

SirAndrewD

Oh boy, Kadryov must be upset that he hasn't been in the spotlight. 

He just made a, almost commercial, for the T-72 claiming "On such a tank we will enter Kyiv and carry out denazification, simultaneously splitting the Abrams like nuts!"

Full story here  https://m.jpost.com/international/article-743216/amp

Never mind the horrifying idea of Chechens taking Kyiv and performing what they would term as "denazification".   The idea that they can even get to Kyiv let alone have T-72's brush aside Abrams with ease is almost Baghdad Bob level.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Speaking of "Alexandrian"...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/belarus-leader-and-putin-ally-alexander-lukashenko-rumored-dead-following-sudden-hospitalization/ar-AA1bdGD6?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=bf2ff687afef4121bc0356d6e6938f5f&ei=77

QuoteIn a sudden development to come just days after Putin placed ten nuclear aircraft carriers in Belarus amid Russia's ongoing war against Ukraine, Lukashenko was reportedly rushed to the hospital and is rumored to be seriously ill, in a coma, or deceased.

Well, if I tyrannized White Russia, and Russia put ten nuclear aircraft carriers into my landlocked country, I'd probably rush to the hospital, too!  :uglystupid2:

(Aside from the serious story, I thought the phraseology glitch was highly amusing.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bobarossa

I'm guessing radiation posioning from inspecting those nuclear aircraft carriers!

Sir Slash

Or fell out of a window from a multi-story building onto a bullet which lodged into his head.  :shocked:  Genius to hide Nuclear Aircraft Carriers in Belarus where NOBODY would look for them.  :uglystupid2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

:shocked:
gonna have to click on this one but its good and everyones ok.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1658879443304169472
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Zeihan's short analysis of current Bahkmut is pretty good:

JasonPratt

Business Basics (which occasionally checks in on the war from economic perspectives), looks at the confusing question of whether Russia is running out of soldiers or not.

Demographic shifts are a big factor.

Here is the related episode mentioned at the end, on the question of whether Russia is running out of tanks:

(Both answers in the end are 'yes', but more clearly in the latter case.)

JasonPratt

The Youtube arm of the mil-ops magazine "Task and Purpose", discusses Russia's economic expansion (and so also its military expansion!) into its Arctic areas. Thanks global warming!? (Though I don't recall hearing that Russia's 'Northwest Passage' has actually opened up yet. North America's hasn't.)

DetCord

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 16, 2023, 12:50:56 AMhows it going

Livin'.

Learned that one of the Bn's we were attached to for a short while was nearly and completely obliterated. 70%+ causality ratio for them. No idea what that ratio entails with regards to WIA and KIA, though its probably evenly matched. A lot of UKR units are being completely destroyed and reformed with the greenest of green conscripts, but at least they're making an effort to delineate experienced NCO's and officers among them.