Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I think in this war, actually controlling a position is not as important as being able to hit it with firepower. The sack the Ukes have around Robovney can be hit from 3 sides with everything the Russkies can hit it with, thus the need to disperse their troops. And the need to enlarge the position. The first line as I understand it was just a Tank Ditch and Dragon's Teeth, not the actual trenches. The UAF is using almost exclusively infantry here as armor gets clobbered right away. How far can an Infantry-only drive get? Unless they get their arty to dominate, this maybe just a jumping-off place to hold onto until next Spring.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

you might want to go back a few pages and scroll through the trenchs post I put up.  that first line was not just a ditch and some concrete blocks.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Sir Slash

Pardon me if I put more faith in what others post than you Star. It's not personal. There was video a couple of days back of a Ukrainian soldier walking to the east of the of the tank ditch and dragon's teeth which were clearly visible in the distance. If there was more than that there, I didn't see it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Sir Slash

In related news, I see the Ukrainians are altering their Draft/Conscription rules to include persons previously deferred for Medical Reasons as Able-Bodied now and subject to call-up. Also they're doing away with deferments for persons attending college previously not being called-up.

Probably most of this was needed and past due, and the Russkies are doing far worse to recruit men for the war, voluntarily or involuntary. But it does look more and more likely this war ain't near close to being over.  :HideEyes:

JasonPratt

The mobile SAMs on blocks are weird enough, but there's a photo or video floating around of another mobile SAM system (maybe not that large) up on a 20 to 30 foot steel scaffold.

At least the ones on the blocks could still theoretically roll back off on their tracks (there are stair-steps behind them).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Re the abandoned teeth and trenches: I think the point is that they have been ABANDONED now rather than still being held. They were supported before now. Orks are falling back to the second line. Or father. To quote a movie I can't recall, "There may be no minimum safe distance."  :evil:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 05, 2023, 09:54:18 AMThe mobile SAMs on blocks are weird enough, but there's a photo or video floating around of another mobile SAM system (maybe not that large) up on a 20 to 30 foot steel scaffold.

that would be this Pantsir, but don't put faith in that.   :ROFL:

Con

Interesting read on unspecified NATO training vs Combat Reality for Ukrainian forces on the ground.
Sounds like at least in this case some of the training is to fight the last/cold NATO war again and not what the Ukrainians are fighting.  Tree line by tree line assaults against unimaginable numbers of mines, arty and drones in record numbers impacting CC and the OODA loop.

https://twitter.com/Teoyaomiquu/status/1699193558685618235

GDS_Starfury

a clearer picture of russias new tire armor on a Tu-95:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

ya, I only posted the original pics 2 days ago.
it also seems to be a different bomber.

Gusington

That is insane-balls and just reeks of desperation.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

the first pic from the last page seemed to be operational as there are shadows from the propellers on the tarmac.
this pic doesn't have those shadows and its in a different location judging from the marks on the ground and orientation.
still.....