Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I just can't buy the notion that an entire Russian army brigade was destroyed in Andivika, the pre-war population was less than a hundred so where would the Russians hide 4,000-5,000 men at? And why would they put that many men in one little Podunk town? They'd more probably be spread-out along the entire line. If there were thousands of dead bears lying in a village without one building left standing I think they would be very easy to see. 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Windigo

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 17, 2023, 09:54:31 PMOne honest election in Russia is all it would take to solve their problems and end this war.

Sir Slash, That one honest election is never going to happen with their current kleptocracy.... never...
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2023, 07:02:44 AMvery funny that the backround was blurred for security reasons.

and she gone...

Windigo

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 18, 2023, 10:53:13 AMI just can't buy the notion that an entire Russian army brigade was destroyed in Andivika, the pre-war population was less than a hundred so where would the Russians hide 4,000-5,000 men at? And why would they put that many men in one little Podunk town? They'd more probably be spread-out along the entire line. If there were thousands of dead bears lying in a village without one building left standing I think they would be very easy to see. 

While it seems that this number is really high, remember how orders are carried out/chain of command functions in the Russian forces? In my mind this is entirely possible with just a few orders carried out.

The Russians do fairly well in trench warfare, but when the battlefield becomes foggy, they are terrible.

Con

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2023, 07:02:44 AMvery funny that the backround was blurred for security reasons.

Need to know - what tire defense doing?

JasonPratt

Even one honest election in Russia would probably put a gung-ho strongman on the triggers. Prigo was apparently very popular.

A lot of Russians evidently believe the anti-Uk propaganda; they just don't trust the competency of their military or that the military will properly take care of their own people.

Admittedly, who knows? -- I hear all kinds of things. But by the same token, who knows? At best an honest election would be a crapshoot, and THAT assumes whoever wins power will work for peace -- either for or against the honest vote which put him there.

How often to politicians in real republics do what they promised they'd do to get hired?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 18, 2023, 10:53:13 AMI just can't buy the notion that an entire Russian army brigade was destroyed in Andivika, the pre-war population was less than a hundred so where would the Russians hide 4,000-5,000 men at?

I've learned not to get fixated on a specific location with how things are reported.  better to think of it as the Andivika sector got hammered, not just the village.  it would also serve you well to look at the terrain of the area and how the rail line dominates it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

True, the HQs may have been (apparently were?) in the town, but the brigade elements would be deployed mostly around it.

Do I remember hearing that a serious number of officers up to generals got crunched there?  :huh:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

a serious number, as in all of them.  :evil:

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

heres a russian bmp going full Leroy Jenkins.  seems pretty effective ngl.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1703668189521920395

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2023, 01:19:56 PMEven one honest election in Russia would probably put a gung-ho strongman on the triggers. Prigo was apparently very popular.

A lot of Russians evidently believe the anti-Uk propaganda; they just don't trust the competency of their military or that the military will properly take care of their own people.

Admittedly, who knows? -- I hear all kinds of things. But by the same token, who knows? At best an honest election would be a crapshoot, and THAT assumes whoever wins power will work for peace -- either for or against the honest vote which put him there.

How often to politicians in real republics do what they promised they'd do to get hired?

Sadly, historically, getting rid of authoritarian rulers has never been easy. They like having large wings of their palace dedicated to their wife's shoe collection.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

FarAway Sooner

It's an interesting question, what is the political alchemy for transforming authoritarian governments into liberal democracies.

The most successful examples from the 20th century have probably been Germany, Japan, and South Korea.  Numerous Central and South American countries also seem to be making that transition successfully, although it's often a "two steps up, one step back" kind of process.

Russia saw an explosion of liberal society over the last 20 years.  Unfortunately, almost all of that was outside the halls of political power--in NGOs, in classrooms, in non-state media outlets, etc.  The recent crackdown from the hardliner-oligarchs calling the shots in the Kremlin has silenced many of those would-be-liberals, while it's driven many others out of the country.

Even if it weren't for their status as pariah outcasts, the Russian country and the Russian economy would be deeply screwed based on corruption, demographics, and economics alone.  Add in the international embargoes, the increasingly limited choice of trade partners, and the brain drain from a decimated middle class, and it gets even worse.

I'd be lying if I said that I feel sorry for them.  I feel sadness, but justice is seldom a dish that gets served gently.

Windigo

It's pretty clear that the educated GTFO and the uneducated GF'd.

GDS_Starfury

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2023, 07:47:46 PMhttps://twitter.com/i/status/1703766517488193792
I'd hate to have to stop ina  hurry in that "jeep".

That reminded me of the T-Rex chase scene in Jurassic Park.
Alba gu' brath