Explosions and Shootout in Paris

Started by Labbug, November 13, 2015, 04:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

In the could-have-been-much-worse category: just heard that the French President was attending the France-Germany soccer match. I've heard no word yet what kind of casualties happened from the three (apparently suicide) detonations outside the stadium -- not enough to compare with the concert hall attack I guess -- but I find it hard to believe their plan was to detonate more-or-less harmlessly outside.

Timing problem maybe? The other attacks jumped the gun or the trio was late to post? Had they waited, they could have taken out a lot more in the ensuing evacuation of the stadium. Nervous triggers, or had they considered the President their target and so, not getting in place before news of other operations led to his secure departure, just detonated themselves on general principle?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

CNN is saying around 100 dead in the concert hall.

It was the Eagles of Death Metal that were playing - US band out of LA.

From their Facebook Feed

We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation.

Posted by Eagles Of Death Metal on Friday, November 13, 2015
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Also worth wondering whether anyone in the Paris area was / is planning an aftershock attack, like earlier today (or yesterday?) in Beirut: wait for onlookers to gather then hit with a bigger bomb...  (that happened earlier today, so I heard.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2015, 07:21:11 PM
CNN is saying around 100 dead in the concert hall.

It was the Eagles of Death Metal that were playing - US band out of LA.

Guitars Guitarist out of Memphis; heard that in passing. (Jeez, getting old, can't type.)

JasonPratt

Heard on the news a minute ago, that the EDM had accounted for their crew.

I was rather surprised, considering the early snapshots from inside, that that was the kind of concert going on. Looked more high-tone than that...  :o

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 13, 2015, 07:25:30 PM
Heard on the news a minute ago, that the EDM had accounted for their crew.

I was rather surprised, considering the early snapshots from inside, that that was the kind of concert going on. Looked more high-tone than that...  :o

They're not really a death metal band. California desert hard rock from the guy who brought us the Queens of the Stone Age.
Any time is a good time for pie.

panzerde

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2015, 06:17:45 PM
current reports are 60 dead + hostages

unlike the US, the French have no problem sending a shit-ton of boots onto whatever ground is needed and shooting the f-all out of whatever's in their way

The problem is that they still won't shoot enough of them.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Geraldo Rivera's (younger?) daughter was at the soccer game; her parents were afraid she had been at the concert hall. She's naturally pretty shook up.

French President visiting concert hall declares "pitiless war" on ISIS by a united France.

The Fox anchor on duty tonight (can't recall his name) pointed out that ISIS has always said they wanted boots on the ground, on the idea that this would draw in all the militant Islamic fighters all over the world to help them. Kind of doubt ISIS leaders are right about that, but even if they are... fine.  :knuppel2:

Capn Darwin

At what point do we load up B-52s with 500lb bombs and start carpet bombing every square inch of ISIS territory to take these SOBs out?  :tickedoff:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

panzerde

Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 13, 2015, 09:39:11 PM
At what point do we load up B-52s with 500lb bombs and start carpet bombing every square inch of ISIS territory to take these SOBs out?  :tickedoff:

As much as I like to see the good old Buffs flying, I really don't think that's the best approach.

Capturing an asteroid and dropping it on northern Syria and Iraq seem like a far more efficient means to bring this to and end.
>:(

Staggerwing

Giving the Peshmerga heavier weapons might be a good start.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 13, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
Giving the Peshmerga heavier weapons might be a good start.

Like an asteroid.

Sir Slash

Asteroid with a Nuke attached. And a whistle so they'll all look up before it hits.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 13, 2015, 11:03:29 PM
Asteroid with a Nuke attached. And a whistle so they'll all look up before it hits.

Now, that whistle is just gratuitous. I like it.