What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

SpaceX launches Starship to space for first time

Live stream :

Launch in 15 minutes (if no delays).

And it is delayed.  No launch today.  Clock will stop at T-10 sec.

bobarossa

Pete Dero

New attempt in half an hour.

bobarossa

Did some nice loops.  Probably a first for a spaceship.  And the bonus pyrotechnics at the end!  :HideEyes:

Pete Dero

Partial success.

RUD (Rapid unexpected disassembly) at around 30 K.

Team said just take off would be a success for this first test flight.
Looks like it went wrong when first phase separation should occur.  Rocket needed to flip but became uncontrollable, started to spin and exploded.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

I saw that. A, "Rapid Unexpected Disassembly", apparently good if it's a rocket, BAD if it's your flight to Chicago.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Starship was terminated.

QuoteSpaceX revealed that it activated its "flight termination system" Thursday during the first test flight of the Starship and Super Heavy rocket.

The nearly 400-foot-tall Starship — the biggest and most powerful rocket ever built, with 33 engines — was essentially told to self-destruct as it veered off its planned course. It was carrying no people or satellites when it launched from southern Texas.

"The vehicle experienced multiple engines out during the flight test, lost altitude and began to tumble. The flight termination system was commanded on both the booster and ship," SpaceX said in a statement, noting that the vehicle had climbed to the highest apogee of any other in its fleet to-date.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/spacex-reveals-why-starship-exploded-minutes-launch
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

RUD! I guess Titanic had a Rapid Unplanned Impact resulting in a Rapid Unplanned Submersion.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

The good news is the Self-Destruct Mechanism performed 100%.

steve58

Looks like they're gonna need to move the parking spaces a lot further out for the next Starship launch.  :doh:

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6325526857112

steve58

DMS molecule produced by living organisms discovered on distant planet.

QuoteNASA scientists have detected evidence of possible life on a planet over 100 light years away.

The space agency's James Webb Space Telescope discovered a molecule called dimethyl sulphide, or DMS, on the distant planet, which on Earth can only be produced by life, according to a report from the BBC.

"On Earth, DMS is only produced by life. The bulk of it in Earth's atmosphere is emitted from phytoplankton in marine environments," University of Cambridge Profesor Nikku Madhusudhan, who led the research, told the BBC.

The discovery marks the first time astronomers have detected possible DMS in a planet orbiting a distant star, according to the report.

Along with the discovery of DMS, NASA researchers say they have also detected methane and CO2 in the planet's atmosphere, a sign the planet could be the home of a water ocean.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nasa-detects-molecule-another-planet-only-produced-by-life

MikeGER

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/139/01H9RF0CCN4MZYDG56Q7K33WQV

the good news is K2-18b does a transition (where spectra gets sampled and summed up ) every 33 days, so better data will be availible soon  :ThumbsUp: