Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by steve58, September 06, 2017, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Thanks Mirth. Me too but I hate to wish bad stuff on somebody else. Here's hoping aliens teleport the damned thing to Little Kim's front porch.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 06, 2017, 12:49:00 PM
JH did your parents evacuate?

No. I don't believe they are in an evacuation zone. They are far enough inland.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 06, 2017, 02:58:41 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 06, 2017, 02:56:37 PM
Hopefully it tracks far enough east that you're spared the worst of it, Slash.

Yea, thanks dickhead. My parents are on the southeast coast.  >:D

Hopefully it tracks far enough east that everyone is spared the worst. The important thing is for the eye/core to stay offshore.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

Weather Underground was saying that the models are in unusually good agreement that the storm won't make it into the Gulf.  Pensacola should be far enough west to miss most of the worst of the weather.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bbmike

^Yes, the northeast side of the storm is the strongest.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Quote from: Toonces on September 06, 2017, 03:03:46 PM
Weather Underground was saying that the models are in unusually good agreement that the storm won't make it into the Gulf.  Pensacola should be far enough west to miss most of the worst of the weather.

Yeah, but having grown up in Florida and been through several of these, I still don't have much faith in any computer models.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

I'm in complete agreement with you.  They should be performing better as the hurricane hunters gather data and feed it directly into the models, but still. 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I don't know that I've ever seen the ensemble models this tightly clustered through day 5 though.

bbmike

True, I've never seen one like that either.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

ugh. There's not much good to see there.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

trailrunner

Quote from: Toonces on September 06, 2017, 03:10:40 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen the ensemble models this tightly clustered through day 5 though.

For Florida, a lot of it depends where it makes that right turn to the north.

bayonetbrant

we're fine here - plenty of camping / emergency food, propane for the portable grill, plus the smaller pack stove, and 4 cases of bottled water in the garage (yay, soccer season!)

got a generator getting delivered this weekend that we should've bought 3 years ago, and that's about the extent of what we can do here.

other than a tree falling on the house, the worst that can happen is we lose power for a week, and we'll have enough gas on hand for the generator to deal with that - mainly need it for the fridge anyway.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 06, 2017, 04:21:35 PM
and we'll have enough gas on hand for the generator to deal with that - mainly need it for the ice for scotch anyway.

FTFY.

Gusington

Toonces can you explain the extreme turn to the north?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

More importantly, will you get any good waves in RI from Irma?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.