Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Whatever warts the game system may currently have, at least the designer/developer cares about trying to get things right. That's a lot more than some of the others out there, and for that reason alone I'm willing to support him and buy the new DLC, even though the only thing about it that really interests me are any bug fixes that happen to be included.  Perseverance should be rewarded.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Philippe on August 25, 2023, 07:40:17 PMWhatever warts the game system may currently have, at least the designer/developer cares about trying to get things right. That's a lot more than some of the others out there, and for that reason alone I'm willing to support him and buy the new DLC, even though the only thing about it that really interests me are any bug fixes that happen to be included.  Perseverance should be rewarded.

100% agree.

They've been a bit back and forth on versions and yeah, they're going to have to sort the battle AI on this one.  They had it right for a bit and now it's a hot mess of blobbing and individual units going to their deaths.

But yeah, they've had it a bit better in previous patches and they'll hopefully get it ironed out soon.  The game has too much potential to just write it off.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not seeing it as available on GOG for some reason.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 25, 2023, 10:21:15 PMNot seeing it as available on GOG for some reason.

Says on their release info that Epic and GOG would follow shortly after Steam....no idea what shortly means

Toonces

Quote from: Skoop on August 05, 2023, 01:06:37 PMI was thinking about this the other day, they should add a quick battle generator where you can set up your own one off battles.  There's actually an insane amount of units and weapons, many times you don't even see them in the campaign.

So I've been investing some time in this game (finally) and I re-read this thread from the first post.  Very interesting to see my own posts from 3 years ago!

I bought the Whiskey and Lemons DLC figuring that would give me more incentive to do the grand campaign, which I still find overwhelming.  And I did watch the tutorials. 

Given my short time with the W&L DLC, it does feel...I don't want to say unfinished.  It's just that, when you're some low-level knucklehead, and your commander decides to settle in for 5 days of nobody doing anything, you're kind of set on 20x speed for some indefinite period of time.  At first I was sort of stoked on a CK2 element to the game, but so far it's been underwhelming.  I spent a good hour just watching the clock tick off at 20x tonight - not fun gaming.  Eventually I booted up the Gettysburg scenario again.  Very good!  I like the fact that it expands over multiple days, which gives some substance to your decisions.  I didn't like that as the bad guys I lost for some unknown reason, apparently my army's morale broke, even though I had those pesky federals on the fence.  I had a great pincer going, I thought!  Could be another RTFM moment.

My thoughts from 2021 are still relevant. I struggle with the inability to control my units' movements with more fidelity at the brigade level.  While I'm cool with orders at the higher levels of the CoC, I'm still having trouble communicating what I want done.

The campaign is just...hard.  Too much for me.  I said this before and I say it again - you gotta invest the time to get it.  I haven't.

BUT, the game really is beautiful, and the scaling from the map to the unit level is just amazing.  I totally feel it's worth the money.  It's just...there's a lot going on.  But geez, the Battle of Gettysburg makes a LOT more sense tonight, having played it out as the bad guys.  It's easy enough to force the Federals onto the outskirts of Gettysburg, but getting them off those hills is a real bitch.

Edit:  The reason I quoted Skoop is that I agree: this game desperately needs a quick battle generator!!!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs