Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I also posted a PCGamer link about the World of Tanks developer getting the can on the previous page.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 01, 2022, 10:50:01 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2022, 10:28:10 PM
Which general said earlier that if that convoy had been fighting NATO, not a single troop there would have survived the first hour?

Petraeus. 

However, he also said, and I agree, that Russia would've never fought NATO like this. 

The Russians have all the look of an army that had absolutely zero regard for its opponent.

Heavy snow coming to parts of the Eastern Ukraine.  Seems like this might help the defenders, but I have no real idea.

Gusington

I thought it may help the Russians by freezing the ground and making moving their heavy equipment easier.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2022, 10:56:26 AM
I thought it may help the Russians by freezing the ground and making moving their heavy equipment easier.

Sounds plausible, though apparently its time for a grinding war of attrition so maybe the weather is less relevant:

Another western official also said that there is a sense that the conflict may be shifting to a grinding war of attrition — not the flash campaign that both
Russian President Vladimir Putin and US intelligence had suspected would cause the fall of Kyiv in a matter of days.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2022, 10:39:10 AM
I also posted a PCGamer link about the World of Tanks developer getting the can on the previous page.

Sorry, missed that.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 01, 2022, 01:45:57 PM
^Disagree.

NATO opening its airspace to Ukrainian aircraft actively engaged in combat with Russia would be madness and totally unjustifiable under the circumstances in my view. It is as if you are suggesting that NATO should purposefully goad Russia into a situation that would require an invocation of Article 5. The purpose of Article 5 is for it to be used as a shield, not as a sword, as you are suggesting. You are trying to weaponize a purely defensive provision of an alliance to which Ukraine is not even a member.

I don't concern myself with all the tough talk and characterizations of Putin. I concern myself only with facts and consequences. Based upon both, the EU, NATO and other civilized nations can and should respond, but twisting our military defense commitments in order to use them to escalate or trigger a larger war is an outrageous suggestion and I am glad that thus far, it does not seem that those in leadership roles are seeing this situation through such an aggressive and unlawful lens.

I am very surprised it hasn't yet spilled over.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

really dont know if this crosses a line here, if so delete it.

[snip]
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Yes. it crosses a line. Very obviously so.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

You have to give it to the Ukrainians for winning the messaging (or propaganda) war, at least in the West.

So far Russian attempts to portray their side of events in the West has been pretty pathetic.

"Exhibit A" - Russel Bonner Bentley, a "vlogger" (from Texas?) apparently embedded with Russian forces:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article258928373.html

His video is like something out of an SNL parody, except it's not.

The article says he has been with the Russians since the 2014 Crimean invasion. They clearly have been feeding him well.

BTW, it seems his video has been removed from YouTube, but the Twitter link in the middle of the article still works.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2022, 10:56:26 AM

Snow is an insulator, so the ground won't freeze very deep, maybe a crust of frozen dirt.... still vey impassable. plus the snow will compact on the roads into ice... this is not good news for mechanized outfits.

Gusington

Well I stand corrected then. I just pick things up and put them down in my limited military experience, in my defense. Closest I have been to anything mechanized is this thread. And my Subaru Forester. Which would probably do better than most of the Russian mechanized units in Ukraine up to this point.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Zulu1966

Quote from: MengJiao on March 02, 2022, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 02, 2022, 09:43:18 AM
I thought this was interesting, Wargaming.net, the World of Tanks company is originally a Belarus company.

They have fired their Creative Director for his pro-Russian, pro-invasion comments.

Apparently the company has "hundreds" of workers in Ukraine and they have made a large donation to the Ukrainian Red Cross.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-of-tanks-dev-let-go-from-wargaming-after-pro-russia-comments/1100-6501146/

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-03-01-wargaming-fires-world-of-tanks-creative-director-following-pro-russia-statements

There are a lot of Russian games out there (DCS world?  Enlisted?  War Thunder? Mius Front?  Battle of Stalingrad? etc.) that I was already cutting back on so maybe now its time for cutting back even more.

Muis Front is actually Ukrainian  so go buy ALL of that. Dont know about the others.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2022, 12:01:30 PM
Well I stand corrected then. I just pick things up and put them down in my limited military experience, in my defense. Closest I have been to anything mechanized is this thread. And my Subaru Forester. Which would probably do better than most of the Russian mechanized units in Ukraine up to this point.

Canucks have direct experience with things such as this.

We should be sending the Ukraines non-military equipment such as this:

they could steal all the stuck/broke down Russian equipment...

Windigo

For those who don't know... that's a Forest Industry Log Skidder