Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Bill Whittle studies Putin's past career for clues on what to expect strategically going forward:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I'm going to guess that JH's work address is 24 E. 23rd St in Manhattan.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: ComradeP on March 12, 2022, 03:12:33 PM
It's also tempting to simplify logistics issues as being due to "mud", but this is not the Ukraine of the early 1940's. There are all-weather roads on every axis of the Russian advance.

there are roads and there are Roads.  not many roads can take the sustained use of modern military equipment.  this isnt West Europe or the US.
and then theres the problem of the Ukrainians having flooded the territory to the north of Kiev.  then add in typical weather in the region.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2022, 03:29:54 PM

Tell that to the Marines.

Well, to the Marines being surrounded just simplifies the problem.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 12, 2022, 03:17:06 PM
You can have the best trained guy in the world but if he doesn't have food, proper clothing and ammo not a lot he can do to be an effective fighting man.

Chosin?  Bastogne?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

ComradeP

Quotethere are roads and there are Roads.  not many roads can take the sustained use of modern military equipment.  this isnt West Europe or the US.
and then theres the problem of the Ukrainians having flooded the territory to the north of Kiev.  then add in typical weather in the region.

A highway doesn't suddenly turn into a muddy field, but I guess some roads might indeed get torn up. The volume of traffic might not be enough for that.

As to flooding north of Kiev: have you seen any other images or articles about that other than the one you posted earlier? That was a picture showing the Dnieper river and an area directly adjacent to it, which on satellite images seems "naturally" swampy during spring thaw.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

GDS_Starfury

it doesnt turn into a muddy field but it does get broken up and very bumpy pretty quick.  it really depends on the way the road was built.  Ive seen a pretty well constructed asphalt road crumble in the space of a week because of heavy dump truck traffic.  a modern military is a lot heavier then that with a lot more vehicles.

GDS_Starfury

as to your second point, googling more info is hampered by Ukrainian flooding, Kiev flooding, military flooding.  they all give back natural disaster articles.
it was reported but news has maybe moved on? 

Con

First military equipment is hell on roads. Tracked vehicles are particularly bad.
Second there is a good article I was reading on how the roads under the vehicles that have been burned out are essentially destroyed from the bitumen diesel and heat from burning fires.
Lastly unlike NA/EU there are still much fewer roads leading to fewer options to advance along.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2022, 02:00:38 PM
Have all of Russia's elite units in Ukraine actually been totally destroyed?

My guess is that he is holding back the best troops, and his latest toys (aircraft and armored vehicles) in case he has to fight NATO somewhere.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ComradeP

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 12, 2022, 04:58:30 PM
it doesnt turn into a muddy field but it does get broken up and very bumpy pretty quick.  it really depends on the way the road was built.  Ive seen a pretty well constructed asphalt road crumble in the space of a week because of heavy dump truck traffic.  a modern military is a lot heavier then that with a lot more vehicles.

and

QuoteFirst military equipment is hell on roads. Tracked vehicles are particularly bad.
Second there is a good article I was reading on how the roads under the vehicles that have been burned out are essentially destroyed from the bitumen diesel and heat from burning fires.
Lastly unlike NA/EU there are still much fewer roads leading to fewer options to advance along.

I know tracked vehicles are not exactly good for roads, I'm just wondering if the volume of traffic is enough to damage roads to the extent that they disappear in the current Ukrainian mild frost/thaw conditions. Depending on how many units advance along a road, you would have a few dozen tanks and IFV's moving along a specific section of road once. Most of the support vehicles would be wheeled.

During NATO "paper" mobilization trainings in Western Europe, the main limits to road movement were deemed to be bridges and viaducts/overpasses (which is one of the reasons why the conclusion was that the Cold War infrastructure was gone: it was very difficult to plan movement of AFV's), but there are more high quality highways in this part of Europe than in Ukraine.

Incidentally, a big loaded dump truck would be considerably heavier than a BMP.

The ground conditions complicate off-road movement in case of drone/air strikes or artillery fire, which is why we see primarily trucks stuck yards from the nearest road, but I have yet to see footage of asphalted roads pulverized to the extent that they're no longer usable.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Con on March 12, 2022, 05:22:39 PM
First military equipment is hell on roads. Tracked vehicles are particularly bad.

Absolutely... tracked vehicles can quickly chop up asphalt.

The main roads into Kyiv aren't always that great. Thanks to Google street view, we can all see for ourselves.  Below is a typical "main route" into Kyiv from the north.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7032626,30.3708121,3a,75y,284.81h,83.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMhRgEMVMuedjUA7PF9fiEA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DMhRgEMVMuedjUA7PF9fiEA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D194.69276%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

But some are OK:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8193369,31.0210176,3a,75y,231.22h,82.6t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sigHhVOVLeZ7nY0RJqPxrZw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DigHhVOVLeZ7nY0RJqPxrZw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D116.02534%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

QuoteIncidentally, a big loaded dump truck would be considerably heavier than a BMP.

its not the singular vehicle, its hundreds if not thousands of them.

GDS_Starfury

as a side track, I feel like Ive read out all the books for the eras that I like reading about.
this war is going to be a gold mine.

Gusington

^I felt guilty for thinking the same thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd