Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Quote from: steve58 on September 07, 2022, 07:32:59 AM
Reports of a new symbol on Russian tanks.  Doesn't look exactly like the Deathly Hallows to me, but similar...

A Ukrainian official in a Russian-occupied area of his country says Russian forces are transporting tanks marked with the Deathly Hallows symbol associated with the iconic Harry Potter series of fantasy novels and films.

https://www.newsweek.com/harry-potter-symbol-adorns-russian-tanks-near-mariupol-ukraine-official-1740427

https://t.me/andriyshTime/2662?single
If it was exactly like the symbol above, I would say the triangle might represent Mount Paektu, the spiritual birth place of Kim Jong-il, and juche, in the rondel with 'stick'.
However, as far as I can tell the symbol at the link is an 'upside' down triangle, with just a rondel in it, so believe what my beer and I say at your own peril.  Also, if N. Korean SPA had entrained and traversed Russia, US and UK int would be screaming again. 
Could anyone identify the "tanks" travelling by rail?

Gusington

The human side of me feels bad for those Russians. Make it stop.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2022, 08:15:16 PM
Make it stop.

ok, easy

don't feel bad for a society, government and world view that has killed and oppressed tens of millions.
Ukrainian famines, Jewish oppression and deportation, Albanian genocide, war by rape and torture, careless civilian casualties.
need more?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Not the society, those kids in that pic, the draftees. Look at them - pathetic :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

ah, you said russians.  fuck them!
the 2 guys in that pic are forced conscripts from either of the occupied "republics" or occupied territories.
they're at least going to live.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

FarAway Sooner

My sense is that treating another group with such outright personal hostility is more likely to be part of the problem than a part of the solution.

I'll freely admit that I struggle with how to hold the Russian people, and the Russian nation, accountable for their collective sins over the last 50 years.  They must be opposed with conviction and with strength.  I'm just not sure that hatred, or even callous disregard, is part of the solution.

I certainly don't have all the answers.  I know that the Russians need to be stopped as a country.  But I do think there's a lot of wisdom to be found in Thich Nhat Hanh's famous work, Being Peace:  http://wtf.tw/ref/nhat_hanh_being_peace.pdf.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 07, 2022, 11:19:01 PM
My sense is that treating another group with such outright personal hostility is more likely to be part of the problem than a part of the solution.

I'll freely admit that I struggle with how to hold the Russian people, and the Russian nation, accountable for their collective sins over the last 50 years.  They must be opposed with conviction and with strength.  I'm just not sure that hatred, or even callous disregard, is part of the solution.

I certainly don't have all the answers.  I know that the Russians need to be stopped as a country.  But I do think there's a lot of wisdom to be found in Thich Nhat Hanh's famous work, Being Peace:  http://wtf.tw/ref/nhat_hanh_being_peace.pdf.

Having spent the better part of my adult life studying Russia at points professionally or as a layman, I can't help but agree.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.  Russia is a product of, at this point, centuries of it geopolitical position, it's autarky, its social structure and a just an endless myriad of things that contribute to its identity as a state, and a culture and people that I think isn't......all that great. 

That doesn't reflect on all its people.  That doesn't reflect on every one of the soldiers, every "orc" getting ground down and killed in Ukraine. 

I mean, it's telling that my very close friend and professor of Russian history that I oft mention has a Ukraine flag on the back of her car.

I think Russia's current objectives are...to me...a force of evil in the world.  I actively want their defeat.  I hope for it to be decisive. 

But I also, the academic and historian in me understand the long, long path that led Russia and its people to this, and it's complicated.  They're a deeply paranoid and untrustworthily nation and people, because they think the rest of the world is out to get them.  And there are times they have been right.   It's not a point of view without reason.

Anyway, that's my rambling of mixed feelings.  I can't help but cheer at Russian defeats, but like Gus the human side comes in on me a lot.  I love Russian history and I have a deep interest in their culture.  I know not every Russian is the bad guy too, even the ones being shoved in front of bullets.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

I don't disagree with what either of you are saying.

ArizonaTank

Some interesting reporting on the difficulty Ukraine is having with its offensive in the south.

I think this is just telling us what we all know: offense is always harder than defense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wounded-ukrainian-soldiers-reveal-steep-toll-of-kherson-offensive/ar-AA11xWeH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7e440ff53bc4471fb0263663380678ad
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

from everything I've been seeing that article is 100% bullshit ru propaganda.

Crossroads

There'll be a major counter attack to liberate Kherson, they said. Openly. Again and again. But it did not start yet. Orcs reinforced the area with their elite units in preparation. Still no counter attack. There will be though, they said.

Then, they bombed all the bridges, the Orc reinforcements got stuck, and they attacked in Donbas instead, where the occupiers are a few.

I did not see this coming, while it all played out openly in front of us.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 07, 2022, 02:40:42 PM
I mean, ffs, these forced conscripts are right out of WW2!

That's a genuine WW2 veshmeshok (sp?) ruck sack innit? Sheesh.

Edit go get yours!

QuotePretty as a hatful of kittens, the Soviet "Veshmeshok" rucksack is quite likely the best carrying sack in recent history. The black version is the hallowed and feared navy model!

The same kind of sacks were probably used during the Napoleonic wars. However, at some point during or after WW2, these were modernized with four side straps for blankets/shelter halves/greatcoats. Even today it sees action in the modern Russian army. These were still made in the 90s, and if you're lucky, you'll get one of these recently manufactured pieces of ancient history. The dates on the sacks we get range mostly from the 50s to the 80s. No, we will not rummage through the wares for the date of your choice.

The Veshmeshok is a very simple, very rough, and very durable potato-sack type carrying solution. The material is treated to resist water and quite often actually does. The sack is closed with a tie-string and its own shoulder straps. This system prevents pick-pockets from going through the contents when you're wearing it. Amazing!

These rucksacks have one external pouch, straps for attaching a greatcoat or blanket roll, and a name tag holder. Most WWII models were made without these, so remove all excess stuff for that extra special "fighting the fascists"-feeling. Do note that you'll leave holes where the stitching was any stronger.

Edit2 ok so they were manufactured into 90s. Ok. Gotta love the product description though!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

things are on the move all over!  <:-)
yesterday:

today:

photo taken outside Shevchenko:

and it seems they're just continuing to push east.

this is from the Kherson region:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1567883145935994881

SirAndrewD

Awesome.

Looks like several potential encirclements coming.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

:bd:

US State Dept email says the $675 million in PDA-20 will include 1,000x 155mm Remote Anti-Armor Mine System projectiles. Containing 9x scatterable mines each, RAAMS rounds are cluster weapons but not banned by the Cluster Munitions Convention or the Anti-Personnel Landmine Treaty.