Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 10, 2022, 12:33:24 AM
well it seems the Ukrainians took Kupyansk today!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1568464792909643778

LOL...lots of Russian media trying to scramble and say "videos of Kupyansk falling are just civilians filming the city."

Astounding accomplishment! 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Ukrainian soldiers in front of the Kupyansk City Administration building.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

Nothing to see here.  Cosplayers in airsoft. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

at the very least they control the west side.

GDS_Starfury

its gonna be a good day!  :bd:

GDS_Starfury

Staggerwing

^ Second verse, same as the first?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

fucking hell, Izyum and Lyman both liberated between finally passing out last night and waking up.
:bd:

no point in posting maps that will be out of date in hours.  :pullhair:

Crossroads

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 10, 2022, 08:37:44 AM
fucking hell, Izyum and Lyman both liberated between finally passing out last night and waking up.
:bd:

no point in posting maps that will be out of date in hours.  :pullhair:

This all started with analogies to Winter War. Lately, comparisons to second battle of Kharkiv. Here's hoping we're soon comparing this to Eastern Front of the Great War in Novemberish 1917.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 10, 2022, 12:39:31 AM

LOL...lots of Russian media trying to scramble and say "videos of Kupyansk falling are just civilians filming the city."

I saw one video which acknowledged they took the city, but spun it as a wry joke (paraphrasing from memory): "I didn't know Kupyansk was the capital of Russia! -- all the celebration, as if they just took a real Russian city. Fronts shift around a little back and forth, but it's what happens at the end that counts."

But it's their city, it matters to them! (Also Russia encouraged celebration when Russia took it, so...  ::) )

Looking forward to the day when they try to spin things as "Pfft, so much celebration over Crimea, as if they had conquered a truly Russian province! Come here and try that and see what happens!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I saw on FOX this morning a report that Putin had arrested 5 of his top officials for conspiring to remove him from office. So, 5 more volunteers for the Izyum Front.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 10, 2022, 10:02:32 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 10, 2022, 12:39:31 AM

I saw one video which acknowledged they took the city, but spun it as a wry joke (paraphrasing from memory): "I didn't know Kupyansk was the capital of Russia! -- all the celebration, as if they just took a real Russian city. Fronts shift around a little back and forth, but it's what happens at the end that counts."

But it's their city, it matters to them! (Also Russia encouraged celebration when Russia took it, so...  ::) )

Looking forward to the day when they try to spin things as "Pfft, so much celebration over Crimea, as if they had conquered a truly Russian province! Come here and try that and see what happens!"

As usual, I find wry humor a bit puzzling.  Perhaps somebody should have reminded the humorist that Russia attacked Ukraine and that the point of the war is to get the Russians out of
Ukraine.  As far as I know, no one has the intention of taking Moscow except for the Russians who have been boondoggled by Putin's regime.

SirAndrewD

Well, the Russian MoD has finally spoken.   

With their strategic objectives in the Kharkiv region complete, they're redeploying all forces there south to support the stated goals of their Special Military Operation in Donetsk and Luhansk. 

Russia is victorious in Kharkiv!  Civilians in the area will be evacuated to Russian territory in this orderly redeployment.