Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Crossroads on October 07, 2022, 02:28:04 AM
As a personal observation, Russia's invasion of Ukraine follows the century long (if longer) tradition to establishin a small puppet regime somewhere in a neighbouring country, having that ask Russia to assist them against the alleged aggression of this "legitimate" regime, and then Russian military rolling in. A playbook so classic it should be obvious now, as the "people's republics" are nothing but Russian placed puppet organizations.

Yep! -- the refined version comes from the Soviet theoretician Triandafillov (probably mis-spelled), but the first systematic version seems to be from the Butcher of Blood himself Tukachevsky (following the theories of Lenin and Trotsky). This was why the Red Army was always supposed to be 'counter-attacking' on 'defense': defending the workers and peasants rising up against the property owners in a border state, against the counter-attacks of the property owners. In effect the motto was 'Fake it till you make it!'  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Sorry, not impressed with Russel Brand as a serious political commentator. I tried...I really did.

And Musk? I think he just forgot to mention that his proposal would bring "peace for our time."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 07, 2022, 08:51:22 AM
Sorry, not impressed with Russel Brand as a serious political commentator. I tried...I really did.

And Musk? I think he just forgot to mention that his proposal would bring "peace for our time."

He's not a political commentator. He's a guy with no agenda who asks questions and who is critical of authority and the corporate media. People like him are the last ones in media who are independent and are simply in search of truth. I honestly don't understand how anyone couldn't be impressed by his balance, ability to communicate and genuine commitment to honesty and truth. And this is coming from someone who actually used to find him utterly repugnant.

But, I suppose if you prefer, CNN, MSN, Fox, etc...different strokes, I guess. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2022, 11:00:35 AM

He's not a political commentator. He's a guy with no agenda who asks questions and who is critical of authority and the corporate media. People like him are the last ones in media who are independent and are simply in search of truth. I honestly don't understand how anyone couldn't be impressed by his balance, ability to communicate and genuine commitment to honesty and truth. And this is coming from someone who actually used to find him utterly repugnant.

This was my impression as well.  The clickbaity video titles definitely give a bad first impression, but he strikes me just as a guy with a YouTube channel and a decent following who is surprisingly good at separating objective fact from emotional reaction.

Also for how much I personally dislike Musk, I don't think the "peace in our time" point is as lost on him as people make it out.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

WarGames and Damnation Alley played back to back unprompted on my random streaming feed last night while I played Terra Invicta. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 07, 2022, 11:31:53 AM
WarGames and Damnation Alley played back to back unprompted on my random streaming feed last night while I played Terra Invicta.

At least it didn't pull up "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" by the Animals
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

From a few days ago, but still evocative:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/xwm9wm/russian_draftees_exasperated_abandoned_left_in/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The Russian 42D quantum chess mobilization strategy continues apace!  >:D

(There's a longer video of this, too, without subtitles. I can't vouch for subtitle accuracy, but they don't seem to be faking their attitudes, especially as they're standing literally on train tracks which is not the safest area in a railyard...)

JasonPratt

What can save the Russian Army now (that they've given up a bunch of T-90s to the Ukrainians  ^-^ )??

How about those super-experimental next-generation Armatas!?

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/xwq3sv/the_newest_t14_armata_they_say_that_it_was_filmed/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Wait, shouldn't T-14s be older than even the Soviet Union per se...? It sure sounds like it's over 100 years old! Good grief, that thing inspired pity instead of fear, hearing it shriek around on open ground like it had never been oiled in its life...

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, in what is probably coincidental timing, the US Department of Health and Human Services has released a $290 million purchase of radiation-sickness drugs repurposed from hospital stock. Specifically, the purchase (announced back on October 4th, now released) was made by the Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response (ASPR), an agency within the HHS that's tasked with preparing the nation for future disasters and public health emergencies.

It's a normal move for shifting excess hospital stock into national emergency stock, then back into hospital stock or to government agencies for their own useage. The medical stock is managed by Amgen USA, a biotechnology headquartered in Thousand Oaks, California. In its original press release statement about the contract on storing Nplat (the medicine being purchased), Amgen said "Amgen will maintain this supply in vendor-managed inventory. This approach decreases life-cycle management costs for taxpayers because doses that near expiration can be rotated into the commercial market for rapid use prior to expiry and new doses can be added to the government supply."

In this case the HHS is buying the medical stock from Amgen for its daughter-agency ASPR. In a statement on Oct 4th, when the HHS announced the purchase plan, ASPR said, "Repurposing drugs for acute radiation syndrome that also are approved for a commercial indication helps to sustain availability of the product and improves healthcare provider familiarity with the drug."

(The article for this is behind a paywall. I'd quote more of it, but it's mostly background information about what a couple of the drugs do, including Nplat, and how the drugs are managed by the HHS.)

Jarhead0331

All these life and death struggles taking place every day, all day. You can mock Putin, talk about the big picture, or the consequences of appeasement or the risk of nuclear war until you're blue in the face. In the meantime, men...Russian, Ukrainian, foreign volunteers...they will all be fighting the same battle for just a little bit more of life. Just one more breath and the hope that they may live to see another sunrise and hold the ones they love.

It's all so God damn tragic.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Petreus said a nuke in Ukraine would warrant a massive conventional air campaign that would erase the Russian army from the map and sink the Black Sea fleet.  Further nuclear aggression by Russia would warrant further escalation from US and nato.  How is this difficult to support ?  I'm cool with calling Putin's bluff and if it leads to real nuclear war then so be it.  But I'm not living in a world where the Putins can hold us hostage.  If he's going to destroy it for himself and all of us....so be it.  But he's not getting his way, even if it's over my dead body.  That's my resolve.

I don't trust Musk, as he's a business man, and sees the war as bad for his business. 

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2022, 02:16:32 PM
All these life and death struggles taking place every day, all day. You can mock Putin, talk about the big picture, or the consequences of appeasement or the risk of nuclear war until you're blue in the face. In the meantime, men...Russian, Ukrainian, foreign volunteers...they will all be fighting the same battle for just a little bit more of life. Just one more breath and the hope that they may live to see another sunrise and hold the ones they love.

It's all so God damn tragic.

Like blinken said, Russians can leave Ukraine anytime.  They can stop this at anytime by just walking away.

Jarhead0331

^That is a very ignorant and naive statement to make that is totally detached from reality. Utterly not surprised to hear it come from someone like Blinken, a career bureaucrat whose closest brush with actual danger was hearing his stepfather talk about the Holocaust.

Men are compelled to serve in war often times not by choice and even more often, against their free will. There are obvious consequences for those who would just "get up and walk away". Moreover, once on the frontline, you're fighting for your life and for those of your comrades. It's no longer about Putin or service. It is only about survival.

Yeah...get up and walk way. And accepting nuclear war as a viable option...Both equally unmindful statements. Such bravado!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog