Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

QuoteGAH STOP IMAGINING STAR!!  :hide:

you make the false assumption that I wear pants.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

They are prepared for Damnation Alley!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Blocking units threaten to shoot their own retreating soldiers in order to compel offensives and have been used in previous conflicts by Russian forces.

The British report comes after reports that Ukrainian spies intercepted audio in late October in which a Russian soldier described being in a "retreat-blocking detachment" tasked with killing any of his comrades trying to flee the front.

Gusington

^Can't believe I'm reading that in 2022 and not 1942.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Could see savvy Ukrainians alerting front line units with something like, "Hey, tell you what; you tell us where those blocking units are and we'll take 'em out.  You can then retreat to your heart's content."

Gusington

^I see new job opportunities opening for you.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on November 04, 2022, 09:22:25 AM

Just motivate them with money !

Another day, another headache for the Kremlin. Protest videos are appearing from several places in the country: recruits or their families complain that the promised money is not forthcoming. To persuade volunteers to go to the front, Moscow had waved a lot of money, but that is not always available. Waging war is therefore expensive: according to estimates, the invasion of Ukraine costs Russia about 900 million euros a day.

"Who scammed us?" A Telegram video shows protesting soldiers in Ulyanovsk barracks, some 700 kilometers outside Moscow. They demand the payment of the 5,000 euros that were promised to them when they signed their contract. In Voronezh, relatives of mobilized people complained to the governor. They have been waiting for a small 1,800 euros compensation since the men left.

The leader of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, Denis Pushilin, admitted earlier this week that there are insufficient funds to pay the military and their families.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on November 04, 2022, 09:22:25 AM

Heck, blocking squads (and regiments) have always been used by communist Russia since November 13, 1918, when Lenin's communist Russia (not yet the Soviet Union per se) tried to kick off WW2 by invading its westward neighbors to ignite the world revolution and march on Berlin, Paris, and London! (Which gives you an idea of the fantasy they were indulging via scientific Marxism, or neo-Marxism rather. ;) )

Worth noting, that the DI update correctly states the blocking squads are (ideologically) meant to enforce offenses, not defenses. They were eventually used for defensive purposes, too, to stiffen the line of resistance, but that was never their original purpose.

I recall seeing mention of the blocking squads long ago earlier this year when Russia was on the offensive but having difficulty moving forward.

ArizonaTank

Russian revolutionaries are planning to convene a congress in exile. They will meet in Warsaw to draft a post-Putin constitution.

These guys will probably only ever be footnotes in history...and all of them will have to be careful around open windows...

But...you never know. Sometimes these governments in exile have legs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-revolutionaries-prepare-for-post-putin-future/ar-AA13Jliq?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ca33588f23624aff83afc12c0194f4f9
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

And this from Pete above:

"Who scammed us?" A Telegram video shows protesting soldiers in Ulyanovsk barracks, some 700 kilometers outside Moscow. They demand the payment of the 5,000 euros that were promised to them when they signed their contract. In Voronezh, relatives of mobilized people complained to the governor. They have been waiting for a small 1,800 euros compensation since the men left.

...along with AT's post immediately above...are so 1917.

Unreal.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd