Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 11, 2022, 08:57:57 AM

Here's hoping for massive equipment losses, and tons of surrendering soldiers are welcomed in my book as well.

Maybe not. He's been quite reliable with his assessments. Also, "battalions" have often shrunk in size to companies, so there's that too.

QuoteOn the western side of the Dnieper there are no longer any regular and large RUS forces. In several places, the Ukrainians are liquidating the last RUS shielding forces, which have not managed to withdraw beyond the Dnieper, among others east of the Antonowski Bridge.

In general, the AU achieved great military and political success, but the retreat of the RUS itself was quite successful, i.e. we do not have whole RUS brigades broken. At most, a few battalions that did not manage to withdraw in time or the AU caught them in the field.

https://twitter.com/Artur_Micek/status/1591060163167125505
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

Russians are apparently taking heavy losses in Kherson region as they retreat, and the Ukrainians pound them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-troops-suffering-catastrophic-losses-while-retreating-report/ar-AA1404sf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ea7f34763fa549ca979d125cbbe44b3e

The thing I don't get is why the Russians announced their retreat.

From the military point of view, you never tell your enemy your intention to retreat.

I can only think the announced retreat was for political reasons.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

One of the articles I linked to earlier, suggested that the announcement was theatrically staged by/using "General Apocalypse" to shield Putin publicly from the political fallout. Hopefully not to involve literal fallout...  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 11, 2022, 09:50:13 AM
Russians are apparently taking heavy losses in Kherson region as they retreat, and the Ukrainians pound them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-troops-suffering-catastrophic-losses-while-retreating-report/ar-AA1404sf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ea7f34763fa549ca979d125cbbe44b3e

The thing I don't get is why the Russians announced their retreat.

From the military point of view, you never tell your enemy your intention to retreat.

I can only think the announced retreat was for political reasons.

This is why many still believe it is a trap for the Ukrainians.

Announce a retreat but keep a part of your army (maybe in civilian clothes) in a booby trapped city.

Gusington

The Ukrainian 'massive crowd' clip is allegedly from March when the Russians came in, according to the posts below it on The Twitface.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Quote from: Gusington on November 11, 2022, 11:30:34 AM
The Ukrainian 'massive crowd' clip is allegedly from March when the Russians came in, according to the posts below it on The Twitface.
Duh. So many videos out and of course I picked an old one. Edited with a new clip. 

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

^Not blaming you! Blaming...The Twitface.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The big question now is will the Ukrainians continue to push across the river toward the Crimea or settle for what they've got right now? One thing's pretty obvious, Putin's not capable enough to pull-off a modern day Stalingrad by trying to hold Kherson.  L:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Zelensky has stated 'we want all of Ukraine back.' Including Donetsk, Luhansk and Crimea. What that will look like in reality who knows...I just hope it doesn't involve the Russians lobbing tactical nukes as they 'advance to the rear.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 11, 2022, 12:04:10 PM
The big question now is will the Ukrainians continue to push across the river toward the Crimea or settle for what they've got right now? One thing's pretty obvious, Putin's not capable enough to pull-off a modern day Stalingrad by trying to hold Kherson.  L:-)

They don't have to cross the river.  They are already across it north of there.  I would imagine that if the Ukrainians launch a major offensive any time soon, it will be to cut off the land connection to the east of Crimea clear down to the Sea of Azov.

Crossroads

BBC also out with news that Russia's evacuated the west bank of Dnipro River.

QuoteWhen the new commander of Russian forces in Ukraine, Gen Sergei Surovikin, appeared on television on Wednesday, apparently asking the defence minister's permission to order his troops to leave the city, this staged bit of theatre marked the end of the process, not the beginning. Anything of value had already gone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63598805

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

My sense is that specific details of what is happening to the Russian Army around Kherson remain extremely vague.  We know that the Russians retreating in the past have seen disastrous results.  All we have here is a couple vague articles.

With the Russians having to cross at bridge locations or using whatever ferries and light boats might still be working, I can imagine that they're still losing vehicles at a hefty rate as Ukrainian heavy weapons work over those concentrations thoroughly.  OTOH, the phrase "I can imagine" pretty much means what it says.  Given the Ukrainian caution, it's obvious that his been more of a retreat than a route.

Question for those folks on this board who know more about certain topics than I do:  Does it get cold enough in Ukraine that the Dnieper ever freezes over enough to get vehicles across?  Or even men?  And how much artillery does it take to shatter a frozen river?  Or do you just build a pontoon bridge on top of the ice?