Stupid Human Tricks

Started by ArizonaTank, April 25, 2022, 11:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

So somebody got the bright idea that it would be exciting to have two aircraft "swap pilots" in mid-air.

The idea was for both pilots to put their planes into synchronous dives, then each pilot would jump out of their aircraft, sky-dive over to the other plane, and then take over the flight controls.

What could go wrong? The FAA disapproved the request for the stunt. The geniuses did it anyway.

One pilot was successful. The other plane went into a spin, the pilot was unable to take control of it. The spinning plane became a lawn dart in the Arizona desert. Nobody was hurt but the FAA is not pleased.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/two-pilots-attempt-to-swap-planes-in-midair-goes-wrong-as-aircraft-crashes/ar-AAWyOsW?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4fc05a1260d14f8d8ea6fa1195eba17d

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Hopefully each pilot started in the other person's plane.  That would give them extra incentive to succeed. Glad they didn't choose to do it over a populated area.  I hope their pilot licenses are permanently revoked.

al_infierno

Pretty amazing nobody died.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Uberhaus

When I was a trainee glider pilot, we were trying not to crash.  Different times I guess.

Sigwolf

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 25, 2022, 02:52:47 PM
Quote from: steve58 on April 25, 2022, 02:42:32 PM
Is crashing planes for Youtube going to be a trend?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trevor-jacob-plane-crash-youtube-video-faa-investigation-pilot-license-revoked-deliberate/

:idiot2:

Amazing...but not in a good way. The Youtube effect..
Unfortunately it's grown much bigger than just Youtube... they actually broadcast that Redbull crap live on Hulu.  We are doomed as a civilization.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: steve58 on April 25, 2022, 02:42:32 PM
Is crashing planes for Youtube going to be a trend?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trevor-jacob-plane-crash-youtube-video-faa-investigation-pilot-license-revoked-deliberate/

This guy and this crash was something else.  He should never hold a pilot's license ever again.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sigwolf

Quote from: steve58 on May 13, 2022, 03:02:34 PM
FAA revokes pilot licenses after failed Red Bull plane-swap stunt for at least a year   :-\
Excellent.  In the case of the lead pilot, that knowingly did it after the FAA rejected it and hid that fact from the rest of the team... should be at least 10 years, if not permanent.

ArizonaTank

Exhibit Two in Stupid Human Tricks:  Guy jumps off cliff into ocean in Spain so that it can be filmed by his wife. The stunt did not go well.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/13/mans-family-films-him-jumping-off-cliff-to-his-death-in-spain/
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

al_infierno

There's a real weird trend around people dying on vacation, especially in places like Hawaii with big cliffs or whatever.  For whatever reason some people just feel that since they're on vacation, they're invincible, and do extremely stupid things like this.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I don't need to be on vacation to do extremely stupid things - like actually drive into my office to work at the crack of dawn to avoid traffic and bask in its post COVID emptiness. Now that is stupid.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: al_infierno on May 26, 2022, 01:02:00 PM
There's a real weird trend around people dying on vacation, especially in places like Hawaii with big cliffs or whatever.  For whatever reason some people just feel that since they're on vacation, they're invincible, and do extremely stupid things like this.

The alcohol speaks to them...
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.