Salute to All Veterans

Started by Gusington, November 10, 2022, 10:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I am in my 10th year in the New York Guard and although I will never be considered a veteran (state service) I hope my fellow service members are making the current generation of vets proud.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Hear, Hear! Thank you all who served to defend our Freedom.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

...and a Happy 247th to all Marine brothers!

Semper Fi.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on November 10, 2022, 10:05:14 AM
I am in my 10th year in the New York Guard and although I will never be considered a veteran (state service) I hope my fellow service members are making the current generation of vets proud.

I think that is just a "legal" thing. I understand from the Federal POV you need to have had a term of active duty to be legally a veteran. But even it you never did that, you are a Veteran in my book.

But doesn't time in service schools count as Federal Service?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Did my time in Army boots...long, long ago.... Thankfully never had to dodge bullets for real.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 10, 2022, 04:53:42 PM

I think that is just a "legal" thing. I understand from the Federal POV you need to have had a term of active duty to be legally a veteran. But even it you never did that, you are a Veteran in my book.

Legally, members of State Militia, such as the New York Guard (as distinguished from the New York State National Guard and Army Reserve) do not qualify for veteran status or benefits under Title 38 of the United States Code. Screwing these service members even further, Title 10 and Title 32 of the USC does not apply to State Militia either. So even when called to State Active Duty (SAD) for full-time service, the duty served by Militia forces is not creditable toward eligibility for federal veterans' benefits or services, or for eligibility status of state veterans' benefits, which requires federal active service. State Militia is generally barred by law from being activated for federal service, but depending on who you talk to, some will argue that it "could" happen. My review of the law  inclines me toward the "can't" happen and certainly the "won't" happen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 10, 2022, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 10, 2022, 04:53:42 PM

Legally, members of State Militia, such as the New York Guard (as distinguished from the New York State National Guard and Army Reserve) do not qualify for veteran status or benefits under Title 38 of the United States Code. Screwing these service members even further, Title 10 and Title 32 of the USC does not apply to State Militia either. So even when called to State Active Duty (SAD) for full-time service, the duty served by Militia forces is not creditable toward eligibility for federal veterans' benefits or services, or for eligibility status of state veterans' benefits, which requires federal active service. State Militia is generally barred by law from being activated for federal service, but depending on who you talk to, some will argue that it "could" happen. My review of the law  inclines me toward the "can't" happen and certainly the "would never happen."

Yes, that sucks.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

^Yeah, especially for state guard guys who have been on state active duty, alongside National Guard and USAR troops, for over two years on COVID missions.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Covid Missions? I thought all you guys did was guard us from Canadian invasions.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

iirc GusTeamSeal got deployed for some shit during his time, that deserves legal coverage to me.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

I feel like four of us should get together and suffer through trying to play WW1: Gold-or-Centennial by email, in honor of Vet Day.  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2022, 08:08:02 AM
I feel like four of us should get together and suffer through trying to play WW1: Gold-or-Centennial by email, in honor of Vet Day.  :notworthy:

I'm up for that.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

Thank you Star, you're right. I personally got deployed for hurricane relief and bombings in Manhattan multiple times over the last few years. Don't get me wrong...I was loading and unloading trucks, doing range control for the National Guard, etc., not storming the beaches at Normandy. But they were deployments. In-state deployments, but still deployments.

At the very beginning of COVID when I was the S1 of my unit, a lot of our troops were doing body recovery in NYC. I was assigning them to do it, I was not doing it myself, for about a year. But it was very f'd up.

For that year I was in a gray area...not physically deployed on active duty but working remotely doing administration work. I resigned from that spot and am now an instructor for our OCS/WOC class and I do enjoy the teaching very much. I am in my 10th year altogether.

There must be something that keeps me coming back or I would just quit. Comradery, friendship, service, etc.

I've also done a bunch of traffic control with a dash of force protection when allowed to legally.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Thank you for your service Gus. And all the rest of you Vets as well.  :clap: :clap: :clap: