East Palestine train derailment

Started by al_infierno, February 13, 2023, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Adding to the insanity, a security camera spotted the train with flames/sparks flying a good 20 miles before the derailment site.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/video-shows-sparks-or-flames-20-miles-before-train-derailment-in-east-palestine/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

My understanding is that Gov. Dewine was acting off the info given him by the EPA like everybody else since they were the agency in charge of the accident. The same group that told local residents it was safe to return home and drink the water. Also, I don't believe the Emergency Brakes that were supposed to be installed on the trains ever were. You would think that a Trillion dollars for Infrastructure that the Administration said it had to have might have been used for that first.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

1. you would think that the prior administration wouldnt have repealed the rule to begin with.
2. with the state of our infrastructure as it is, its going to take years to get to and complete all the projects.
funny that you're complaining about the brevity of asset allocation when one side of the hill fought tooth and nail to kill the legislation that would provide the very fixes you demand now.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 15, 2023, 12:54:40 AM1. you would think that the prior administration wouldnt have repealed the rule to begin with.
2. with the state of our infrastructure as it is, its going to take years to get to and complete all the projects.
funny that you're complaining about the brevity of asset allocation when one side of the hill fought tooth and nail to kill the legislation that would provide the very fixes you demand now.

You're doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do. Making it political. You are the one that mentioned Trump and the prior administration as if the accident is his fault too. Ridiculous. Do not make this political. I specifically said to keep politics out of this. If you can't help yourself, leave.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Groggy

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 14, 2023, 10:48:38 PMI also think its rather silly that the Ohio governor would state that hes got it covered.
https://newrepublic.com/post/170591/train-derailment-ohio-governor-mike-dewine-im-not-seeing-problems

I guess the governor doesn't see any problems with the Ohio department of natural resources stating that the chemicals have killed 3,500 fish across 7.5 miles of streams in the area.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2023, 06:10:43 AMYou're doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do. Making it political. You are the one that mentioned Trump and the prior administration as if the accident is his fault too. Ridiculous. Do not make this political. I specifically said to keep politics out of this. If you can't help yourself, leave.

there is a chain of events that led to this happening.  I also mentioned that the current administration had two years to reverse the rules change.  I'm blaming both administrations and cant be more even handed about it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 15, 2023, 08:07:51 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2023, 06:10:43 AMYou're doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do. Making it political. You are the one that mentioned Trump and the prior administration as if the accident is his fault too. Ridiculous. Do not make this political. I specifically said to keep politics out of this. If you can't help yourself, leave.

there is a chain of events that led to this happening.  I also mentioned that the current administration had two years to reverse the rules change.  I'm blaming both administrations and cant be more even handed about it.

Let's not blame any administration, because, as you said, and then went on to so aptly demonstrate, it quickly gets political. There are plenty of worthwhile issues to discuss that have nothing to do with which president or executive officer is responsible for the tragedy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

So there has been other derailments as well.  One in Texas and yesterday one in Tennessee. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Hm, haven't heard about the one in TN yet. Will check around.

I saw something yesterday suggesting that the EPA set fire to the chemicals intentionally as the fastest and relatively safest way to get rid of them. Seemed like speculation to me, but I'll keep an eye out for anything further along that line.

As for legislation, I'm somewhat doubtful any administration killed legislation that would ONLY have provided safety brakes on chemical trains. Pork in the legislation was more likely the target, which would also explain why the next administration didn't get it passed again (or maybe even try). But I'm only guessing, because I don't know the details yet. I have heard that the infrastructure bill last year (which I don't even recall whether it passed!) only had about 20% of its cash allocated to actual infrastructure. Which might be an exaggeration against the bill, admittedly. Whatever the case in this instance, it's common knowledge that useful things get held hostage by pork interests in legislative bills on a routine basis, leading to propaganda complaints that attempts to stop or reverse such bills are aimed against the useful things. My a priori inductive expectation (which is admittedly not deductive, and also subject to specific evidence), is that the brakes were victims of that kind of political infighting, not targets.

We'll probably hear more about it from our political overlords on all sides, if so.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Now I'm hearing there have been three chemical train derailments since Ohio: Texas, Arizona, and South Carolina. Arizona had a shelter-in-place order for a while. Will see if I can find more specific details. Haven't found TN yet.

Did see something about 2.75 average US derailments per day; but I know from personal experience those can be very, very minor: the tracks I cross every day multiple times have a few "derails" per year near a particular crossing, but those have so far only ever been technical detection of rail problems.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Currently, I don't think there have been any TN derailments since OH, and none involving chemicals for the past couple of years. There was some concern over the Ohio spill-and-fire causing environmental problems in Middle TN, but that's different. (And apparently won't be a problem.)

Windigo

Pipelines are safer than rail.... just saying that
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

steve58

With the recent derailments in the news, it got me wondering about any RR tracks near me. This map seemed to show the most info:  National Rail Network.

p.s.  changing the base map to Navigation or Street really helps show how close any tracks are to your location.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

I would agree that pipelines are much safer than RR's especially in their current state. I don't believe all the chemicals in the tank cars could've been moved by pipeline, however I'm sure the tech exists to increase the ability to use them for many of the chemicals now moved by rail. That would have also been a good use of Federal dollars for Infrastructure.

I have heard the railroad, Norfolk Southern I believe, gave a lot of political donations to both parties over the years. Clearly they thought having friends in high places was necessary.

My little town has almost no trains run through it anymore. While I miss them, I'm kind of glad about that right now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Windigo on February 15, 2023, 10:22:53 AMPipelines are safer than rail.... just saying that

A perverse side of my mind now wants to search for articles of truck drivers colliding with pipelines...!  :evil:

It does bring up the topic of what would be involved for a pipeline distribution system of all the hazardous chemicals we use in the US. Seems nightmarish to me, on first consideration: most pipelines wouldn't be able to handle different chemicals for example.

Meanwhile, with Steve's link, I was surprised to see how few rail-lines TN actually has. I feel like I see them everywhere all the time, but that might only be due to mostly going to areas along the few rail lines.