Panama Canal Expansion

Started by airboy, November 06, 2013, 09:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The Panama Canal Expansion will be online in a year or two.  This will have a profound impact on the supply chain since huge cargo ships won't have to sail around the tip of South America.

Sounds boring, but this will have an impact on all of our lives.

How is the USA involved?  We need to upgrade our ports, especially on the Gulf Coast and Charleston to handle the larger ships.  Expensive infrastructure improvements, but will help the overall US economy.

Windigo

Quote from: airboy on November 06, 2013, 09:30:14 AM
The Panama Canal Expansion will be online in a year or two.  This will have a profound impact on the supply chain since huge cargo ships won't have to sail around the tip of South America.

How is the USA involved?  We need to upgrade our ports, especially on the Gulf Coast and Charleston to handle the larger ships.  Expensive infrastructure improvements, but will help the overall US economy.

Why just there?  Shouldn't West coast ports get an upgrade too?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on November 06, 2013, 11:54:59 AM
Quote from: airboy on November 06, 2013, 09:30:14 AM

Why just there?  Shouldn't West coast ports get an upgrade too?

I think ports like LA already have been upgraded for a while.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Dolan50

I read somewhere the Chinese wanted to pay to expand the canal so that their big oil tankers can navigate them for easier transport of oil from Venezuela to China.

I'll have to look and see where I read that.
Its been awhile since I first saw that story.
I used to be stationed at FT. Sherman Panama back in 1982 and I was looking up that fort after we gave the canal back to Panama and I think I ran across that story then.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Dolan50

I guess I was wrong it seems China wants to build a canal thru Nicaragua to rival the Panama canal.

China to Build Panama Canal Bypass Through Nicaragua.

http://www.economonitor.com/blog/2013/06/china-to-build-panama-canal-bypass-through-nicaragua/

One of the most extraordinary stories of the past decade largely overlooked by the U.S. media is how Central and Latin America have quietly escaped U.S. control since 9-11, as Washington focused on its global War on Terror (WoT). The WoT diverted Washington's attention long enough that progressive governments established themselves throughout the southern Western hemisphere, from Venezuela through Brazil, Paraguay and Bolivia, which were far less inclined than previous administrations to listen to advice from their giant "el Norte" neighbor. A crucial element in this process has been Central and Latin America expanding their trading opportunities with states frowned upon by Washington, from Iran to China. Now, in the latest sign that Washington's sway over the region is diminishing still further, Nicaragua has announced that it will soon begin construction of a canal to compete directly with the Panama Canal further south, to be financed by ... China. - See more at: http://www.economonitor.com/blog/2013/06/china-to-build-panama-canal-bypass-through-nicaragua/#sthash.MuaqGg4X.dpuf
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Windigo

Quote from: Dolan50 on November 06, 2013, 12:39:46 PM
I guess I was wrong it seems China wants to build a canal thru Nicaragua to rival the Panama canal.

China to Build Panama Canal Bypass Through Nicaragua.

http://www.economonitor.com/blog/2013/06/china-to-build-panama-canal-bypass-through-nicaragua/

One of the most extraordinary stories of the past decade largely overlooked by the U.S. media is how Central and Latin America have quietly escaped U.S. control since 9-11, as Washington focused on its global War on Terror (WoT). The WoT diverted Washington's attention long enough that progressive governments established themselves throughout the southern Western hemisphere, from Venezuela through Brazil, Paraguay and Bolivia, which were far less inclined than previous administrations to listen to advice from their giant "el Norte" neighbor. A crucial element in this process has been Central and Latin America expanding their trading opportunities with states frowned upon by Washington, from Iran to China. Now, in the latest sign that Washington's sway over the region is diminishing still further, Nicaragua has announced that it will soon begin construction of a canal to compete directly with the Panama Canal further south, to be financed by ... China. - See more at: http://www.economonitor.com/blog/2013/06/china-to-build-panama-canal-bypass-through-nicaragua/#sthash.MuaqGg4X.dpuf

competition is good...

Gusington

Not boring at all, to me. Love stuff like this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Given Africa and South America are doing their trade with China, if not falling into the Chinese "sphere of influence", it makes sense that they would want a route that cannot be cutoff. As any RTS player knows you need the constant stream of gold to keep the expansion going.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Windigo

yet another indicator of US diminishment and relevancy ...

sooner or later the citizens of the US will galvinize and take responsibility for their government and start kicking out 'establishment' leaders and vote in new (time for a change) leaders with fresh visions and ideas.

Dolan50

Greed and corruption throughout history has always been the cancer that has led to the demise of great empires.

Windigo

still more good and decent people than IDGAF people....   alignment and agreement takes time, ordinary folk are very tolerant... to a point

IMO the Teaparty was doing well early on, then the Koch brothers got it and perverted its intent

Dolan50

I look at this country today and I see Detroit.
A once great city that was also brought to ruin by indifference,greed and corruption.

I doubt I'll live long enough to witness this country in its death throes,but the seeds of its destruction have already been sown.

eyebiter

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: eyebiter on November 06, 2013, 05:48:00 PM
China has more pressing issues, including several large dam construction projects.  Would think funding an alternative to the Panama Canal would be far down the list.

Anything domestic is not paid for in US $ or treasuries. Buying a stake overseas lets them whittle down their US treasure pile that is slowly melting.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Windigo

Quote from: eyebiter on November 06, 2013, 05:48:00 PM
China has more pressing issues, including several large dam construction projects.  Would think funding an alternative to the Panama Canal would be far down the list.

they're building a foreign affairs tripwire  ... not good!