Planetary Annihilation on Steam for...

Started by Jarhead0331, June 13, 2013, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

$90 Friggin' Dollars!!!!  I'm sorry, but are they insane? 

Yes, the game looks awesome, but $90 for early alpha access?  I just do not get it.  Didn't they raise over $2,000,000 (yes, that says two MILLION dollars) on Kickstarter?  WTF?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

Same here. I was really stoked up for this, then saw the price on Steam. Crazy!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jarhead0331

^...and NO single player content?  I am just totally at a loss.  You raise literally 2.3 million dollars and then try to charge $90 for early access and there is no SP campaign or skirmishes?  Seriously...this is where I draw the line.  I WILL NOT BUY THIS GAME as things currently stand.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

Even more so as its only an early pre-release version. It does seem to allude to lower prices later in the year as the game gets nearer to a full release version, but even then, it seems a way over the top price for what it is.

I'm seriously disapointed with this one :-((

'Clip those corners'

Bison

I cannot even tell what the hell it is.  Some sort of Starcraftish type game?

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Bison

Steam really needs to add another tab for alpha/beta game sales.  It's pretty freaking deceiving at first glance.  For example today there are two "new" games for sale this one and unepic.  However neither is actually a gold release.  Both are alpha/beta releases.  I thought this is what greenlight was for but apparantly not.

Huw the Poo

It doesn't look that good to me anyway, but...yeah...lolz!

SgtRock

Quote from: Bison on June 13, 2013, 02:49:03 PM
Steam really needs to add another tab for alpha/beta game sales.  It's pretty freaking deceiving at first glance.  For example today there are two "new" games for sale this one and unepic.  However neither is actually a gold release.  Both are alpha/beta releases.  I thought this is what greenlight was for but apparantly not.

$90 for a alpha release, did the Airlines or credit card companies just get into the gaming business? :o  Even EA hasn't got the balls to do that, yet! I don't like the idea of buying Alpha/Beta releases (did it once with Elemental, never again) but, selling them just like any other new release is like used car salesman crap.

Tpek

Quote from: Bison on June 13, 2013, 02:27:42 PM
I cannot even tell what the hell it is.  Some sort of Starcraftish type game?

Seems like MP only Total-Annihilation/Supreme-Commander clone.

Nefaro

Quote from: SgtRock on June 13, 2013, 03:30:12 PM
Quote from: Bison on June 13, 2013, 02:49:03 PM

$90 for a alpha release, did the Airlines or credit card companies just get into the gaming business? :o  Even EA hasn't got the balls to do that, yet! I don't like the idea of buying Alpha/Beta releases (did it once with Elemental, never again) but, selling them just like any other new release is like used car salesman crap.

We should probably be happy it doesn't require some Lo-jack you gotta plug into your USB port in order to run it.  That is sent to you a week or two later.  :P

Zulu1966

Quote from: bob48 on June 13, 2013, 01:22:31 PM
Same here. I was really stoked up for this, then saw the price on Steam. Crazy!

I think its being misread and overly reacted to .... they had to charge  that as early access was one of the things included at the higher reward level in their kickstarter campaign. they could hardly put that in a reward tier and then charge less on steam.

the full final game will cost the same as any normal game - but the price on steam is a reflection of the kickstarter rewards tiers. Personally I wouldnt pay for early access in any case (primarily cause it spoils the full game release for me). Its not a normal early access release more an extension of the kickstarter tier and no one has to buy in if they dont want to...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 14, 2013, 08:15:39 AM
...and no one has to buy in if they dont want to...

I find this comment to be somewhat insulting, and pretty ignorant, as well, particularly from the standpoint of a consumer. I hear it repeated often, so I'm not just quoting you for it.

I'm aware of the fact that I do not "have to buy it."  And guess what, because of the price, I won't be. 

You cannot compare the price of a kickstarter campaign to the price offered on a retail outlet.  The purpose is entirely different.  Kickstarter is meant to FUND a project so that it can be developed.  Therefore, if people want to "donate" or pay a premium, thats one thing.  However, Steam is a retail outlet, and the purpose of selling at retail is to make PROFIT.  It is no longer about funding...they had their chance for that and they managed to make over two MILLION dollars.

Now they are just making profit, and at $90 a ticket, its gross profit. 

While we are on the subject of steam as a retail outlet, I feel steam is really starting to blur the line between crowd funding, retail sales and even re-releasing of older titles similar to GOG.com.  The blurring of these lines is most troubling when it comes to releasing a game like Planetary Annihilation at a price point of $90.  It is not in the greenlight program.  It shows up on the main page as a general retail release.  Although one can go to the game's retail page and read that the game is in alpha, some people do not know what this means.  It leads to confusion in the marketplace and I find it hard to believe that this is unintended. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2013, 08:39:36 AM

You cannot compare the price of a kickstarter campaign to the price offered on a retail outlet.  The purpose is entirely different.  Kickstarter is meant to FUND a project so that it can be developed.  Therefore, if people want to "donate" or pay a premium, thats one thing.  However, Steam is a retail outlet, and the purpose of selling at retail is to make PROFIT.  It is no longer about funding...they had their chance for that and they managed to make over two MILLION dollars.

Now they are just making profit, and at $90 a ticket, its gross profit. 

While we are on the subject of steam as a retail outlet, I feel steam is really starting to blur the line between crowd funding, retail sales and even re-releasing of older titles similar to GOG.com.  The blurring of these lines is most troubling when it comes to releasing a game like Planetary Annihilation at a price point of $90.  It is not in the greenlight program.  It shows up on the main page as a general retail release.  Although one can go to the game's retail page and read that the game is in alpha, some people do not know what this means.  It leads to confusion in the marketplace and I find it hard to believe that this is unintended.

+1  Sorry, but I will not purchase anything from this developer.... they had their kickstarter..... and it is not our fault if they grossly underestimated their needed funds.  From an objective point of view it appears to be a money grab or they think we are fools.

Planetary Annihilation = Universal Fail

PE

Tpek

Are we all sure that it's not some kind of mistake?
Someone confusing 19 and 90 $ (they do sound similar)