Main Menu

Death Of The PC

Started by renobe, May 14, 2013, 11:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renobe

This is a interestig article on the possible death of the PC. It appeared as a link on the Yahoo home page.

http://beta.fool.com/joekurtz/2013/05/14/yes-the-pc-is-dying/34222/?source=eogyholnk0000001

Barthheart

When they can make a tablet that can run my 3D mechanical design software and my computational fluid dynamics programs that bring my 16GB, i7 Core laptop to it's knees, then and only then will I agree that the PC market is dead. You cannot do engineering or most other businesses on a tablet. Just try writing an email, let along the 30 page design note I just finished this week, on a tough screen keyboard.

Yes PC sales are down, what a whopping 14% in this article, but that's because kids aren't using them ( or maybe everybody how wants one has one :o )

Governements and businnesses are still going to need desktops and laptops to operate properly.

Grimnirsson

QuoteWhen they can make a tablet that can run my 3D mechanical design software and my computational fluid dynamics programs that bring my 16GB, i7 Core laptop to it's knees, then and only then will I agree that the PC market is dead.

You know really no need for that...if you want make money with selling games you better go console...and since the publishers fully understand this the PC is dying as a gaming platform, Michael Pachter would say 'It's a profit deal, it's that simple'
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Steelgrave

When I start seeing PC game titles dwindling to the scarcity of Mac games, I'll believe it. Otherwise, this has been proclaimed before. Granted, sooner or later it will likely happen as the entire PC industry continues to change, but I don't think it's here quite yet.

Gusington

If anything I think we are in another golden age of PC games. So much to choose from! An embarrassment of PC gaming riches.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

carnator

No one has ever successfully done a RTS game on a platform other than PC.  League of Legends is the most popular game in the world...   Starcraft is a huge esport as well.  Cannot play these games anywhere else.  Also the big MMO's are on PC...World of Warcraft.  PC gaming is not going to die.  Lot's more people are gaming now, and lots of other devices (tablet and mobile) are getting bigger for gaming, more people get more smart phones and ipads means more gamers, but PC will not go away. 

eyebiter

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2013, 07:38:06 PM
If anything I think we are in another golden age of PC games. So much to choose from! An embarrassment of PC gaming riches.

And with digital distribution the prices have never been better.  Top tier titles drop in price from $60 to $20 within six months. 

MIGMaster

Convergence is the future! The PC and console will be one - they almost are now. After totally convergence I suspect the PConsole may become a sentient life form.

Centurion40

And it will survive on a diet of nachos, beer and pizza.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bob48

^ and crisps / chips and other snacks that produce crumbs to gather in our keyboards and eventually produce sentient lifeforms.........
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

^Crisps...stop being so damned British!! And all that. D'oh it's catchy!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Crisps are so much more descriptive. Chips, like wedges hacked off the potato is also far more accurate. Once in a while the British way makes more sense. Like football which you move around with your feet.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

I'd toss in pork rinds but I've never acquired the taste and think that might be cheating.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

Quote from: LongBlade on May 16, 2013, 12:03:54 PM
I'd toss in pork rinds but I've never acquired the taste and think that might be cheating.

For some reasons, we call pork rinds 'scratchings' and they are bloody discusting. I love crisps though.

Cheddar & Onion flavour - yum!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!