Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: CMO Red Tide
« Last post by Tripoli on Today at 05:02:59 PM »
At  1346Z BEDFORDs subsurface contact is classified as a CERTSUB and is typeclassed as a GOLF II SSB.  BEDFORD continues the hold down ops. A third P-3B is launched from Banak at 1535Z to relieve the second P-3. 

By 1700Z, I'm satisfied that the area around the Don AS is clear of submarines, and that the BEDFORD has contact on the only submarine in the area.  Because of this, and due to the possible air threat from  Greem Bell, I have the incoming P-3s take over surface surveillance operations (SSC) in the western part of the AOR, while having the OSLO rejoin BEDFORD in the hold down operations.  Although OSLO has a light air defense capability, it is more capable of defending itself than a P-3.

Image 5 011703Z April 85

In the ensuing 9 hours, the OSLO rejoins the BEDFORD and continue to hold down the GOLF II.  Numberous MAIL MPA fly  in the vicinity of the NATO ships, but none engage.  At 020421Z, a Harpoon-equipped P-3 engages and sinks the Don AS, while the OSLO sinks the GOLF AS with torpedoes.

Note: I was a little confused by the victory conditions, which specified that NATO could only attack in self defense.  Since I was never attacked, in my first play through I simply sat on the Soviet ships and submarines, with strike ready ships and P-3.  However, I scenario end, I had a score of "0", so I could not advance in the campaign.  I simply went back to a previous save, and attacked. Possibly the fact that the Don AS was in Norwegian territorial waters was sufficient cause belli 

Image 6 020421Z April 84

Digital Gaming AARs / Re: CMO Red Tide
« Last post by Tripoli on Today at 04:40:01 PM »
At 1016Z, the BEDFORD picks up an underwater contact with its AN/SQQ-23A active sonar. in the vicinity of the periscope sighting.  The P-3B arrieves at approximately this time and begins to lay a bouy pattern.  There are numerous schools of fish in the area, generating false submarine contacts, but the underwater contact initially detected by the BEDFORD appears to be a submarine, as it is holding a steady 2 knt course at 233 feet depth.  The P-3 is retasked to sanitize the area immediately to the west of the BEDFORD, while the BEDFORD establishes a station 1 nm astern of the PROBSUB  and begins "Hold Down" ops.  At 1031Z, a second P-3B is launched early  from Banak to provide additional ASUW and ASW capability.    At 1242Z, this second P-3 rigs  a surface contact that was in the vicinity of the reported "large Soviet vessel" that had previously been reported at 0815Z.  The aircrew VID the contact as a Soviet Don-class submarine tender.

Figure 3 011242Z April 85

By 1330Z, the OSLO has a visual on the Don AS, and the second P-3 is sanitizing the area to ensure there are no submarines in the vicinity of the Don.  The BEDFORD is continuing hold down ops, and the first P-3 has sanitized the area to the west of BEDFORD, and is about to check OFFSTA and return to Banak.

Figure 4 011330Z April 85
Digital Gaming AARs / AAR: CMO Red Tide
« Last post by Tripoli on Today at 04:13:54 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

I recently picked up the latest DLC for Command Modern Operations.  This latest DLC addresses a hypothetical NATO/WP conflict in 1985. This is also the same time frame that I was a young Ensign in the USN, so the topic has some personal interest to me.  I will try to play through the whole DLC here (and at the same time finish my Flashpoint Campaign AAR, which features a ground  invasion of Germany at approximately the same time).   

The First scenario is "the Bedford Incident" based loosely on the movie and book of the same name.  The scenario introduction is as follows:

Date/Time: 1st April, 1985/ 08:00:00 Zulu
Duration: 1 Day
Playable Sides: NATO
USS Bedford, a US 2nd Fleet destroyer is on patrol near the Svalbard Islands together with HNoMS Narvik, and they have been repeatedly overflown by Soviet aircraft, including low-level passes at main deck level.
Bedford has also had fleeting contacts on sonar, which is believed to be an unknown submarine in territorial waters.
Even though hostilities have not broken out, the Bedford’s captain is hell bent on bringing it to the surface – or worse…

OVERVIEW
The increase in tensions between NATO and the Soviet Union has intensified over the last 2 weeks, this has been more so in the Barents Sea region with various intermittant contacts of submarines along the Norwegian coast.
USS Bedford, HNoMS Narvik and a detachment of Orions based in Banak have been conducting round the clock patrols in the vicinity of Svalbard Islands.

ORDERS & CONDUCT OF OPERATIONS
USS Bedford and associated air assets are to conduct aggressive ASW Patrols in their allocated areas.  Any Submarine contact is to be forced to the surface if detected in the Svalbard Islands TTW. Units are to only fire in self defence.
Soviet MRR Aircraft have been deployed to Greem Bell, Intelligence suggests the Submarine is onroute to RV with a Submarine Support Ship.

ORDER OF BATTLE
Surface Forces
•   USS Bedford
•   HNoMS Narvik
Banak
•   333 Sqn Det P-3 Orion

THREAT
Surface Forces
Unknown Submarine Support Ship
Sub-Surface
Unknown Submarine
Air
Be-12 Mail MRR

COMMAND & CONTROL
Flagship - USS Bedford
EMCON
Limited Transmission on all sensors

Environmental
The sea state is 3, with light clouds at 20,000 feet.  The water is isothermal, with no Convergence Zone.

The ASW conditions are good, so I hope to detect the submarine relatively quickly.  My plan is to have the  USS Bedford and HNoMS Oslo to work in close proximity to each other for mutual support and to maximize their limited sonar search. This will also maximize their limited AAW capability against any air threat from Greem Bell.
My search strategy will be to use the P-3Bs to quickly develop a surface picture and locate the submarine support(AS) vessel.  Once that is located, the MPA will set up a search barrier to detect the SSB as it approaches the AS. 
EMCON ALPHA (no emissions) will be the initial setting for the surface ships.  If they are detected by Soviet MPA, they can go to EMCON DELTA (unrestricted emissions).

On scenario start, I launch a P-3B from Banak.  However, it is over 500 nm to the OPAREA, so it will take 1.5 hours to arrive ONSTA. 

At 0815 NATO receives a message report from fishing boats that a large Soviet ship was located near the coastline. See Figure 1.  Because the vessel is described as a large Soviet ship it may be the submarine support vessel. I did not expect it to be located at close to Svalbard.  The HNoMS Oslo is sent to investigate the contact, and the enroute P-3B is  vectored to provide a VID.

Image 1 010849Z April 1985

At 0920, the the HNoMS Oslo VIDs a Primorye-class AGI.
At 0930, fishing boats report a periscope invic 7933N03350E  The USS Bedford is nearby and is sent to this location. See Image 2.  During this time, Soviet Be-12 MAIL flying boats are detected operating near the USS Bedford, and at 0944Z, one is VID'd.  Because the USS Bedford has been detected, it goes to EMCON DELTA.  The P-3 is retasked from VID'ing the possible large Soviet vessel and sent to this periscope sighing location. 

Image 2 010926Z April 1985

Computer Gaming / Phantom Galaxies
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 03:43:31 PM »
Looks awesome!

PHANTOM GALAXIES combines open-world space sim with fast-paced mech shooter and a captivating story.

Once enemies, the factions of Neoterra now share a dangerous alien foe, the Sha’Kari. The Sha’Kari Zealots are the priest cast of the Sha’Har race, intent on destroying mankind for desecrating their ancestral planets.

Choose the transforming Mecha Starfighter that suits your play style - Lancer, Buster, Assault, and Breacher classes and take the fight to the Sha’Kari!

Music, TV, Movies / Re: Dune movie coming in October 2021
« Last post by Redwolf on Today at 02:36:00 PM »
I think, from a narrative perspective, that's the proper choice.  Feyd should be different from the other Harkonnens and I think his introduction should be jarring.  I imagine Villeneuve is saving his intro for the big Gladiatorial set piece with the captured Atredies soldier.  I think that'd be a really good way to meet him.

I'm on board with that. As long a Feyd is played by Rowan Atkinson :)
Computer Gaming / Re: Share your videos!
« Last post by Russell Ian on Today at 11:25:49 AM »
Here is my latest where Apache goes off to drink at Fiddler’s Green

Computer Gaming / Re: New 40K Game Revealed
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 11:01:10 AM »
^yeah. I haven’t seen anything to suggest there will be ship combat. It’s a game about Grey Knights, so I’d expect the focus to be on combat with that team in play. Maybe there will be some combat aboard vessels through boarding actions?

I'd be happy with boarding actions.  I can see that being in the game based on that preview video. 

The other thing I liked was that the developer was stressing tactics over luck.  There will be no random dice rolls where an elite soldier firing the most accurate gun in the game at a target 5 inches away misses a 99% hit chance.

I liked how he was referring to the original Chaos Gate, which gives me hope that he has played it and understands what made it so great. In my opinion, it is one of the few isometric tactical games to rival the original X-com. it is certainly one of the best 40K IP games ever made.
« Last post by W8taminute on Today at 10:00:13 AM »
^yeah. I haven’t seen anything to suggest there will be ship combat. It’s a game about Grey Knights, so I’d expect the focus to be on combat with that team in play. Maybe there will be some combat aboard vessels through boarding actions?

I'd be happy with boarding actions.  I can see that being in the game based on that preview video. 

The other thing I liked was that the developer was stressing tactics over luck.  There will be no random dice rolls where an elite soldier firing the most accurate gun in the game at a target 5 inches away misses a 99% hit chance. 
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Dune movie coming in October 2021
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 09:55:35 AM »
I thought it was magnificent. 

It was worth it alone for being the first time a filmed version of Dune portrayed warfare in the Dune universe correctly. 

The only downside was having to wait for part 2. 

On that note, Villeneuve has addressed a lot of concerns about characters missing or given shorter screen time saying that was intentional to give them more time in the second part.  This includes Feyd. 

I think, from a narrative perspective, that's the proper choice.  Feyd should be different from the other Harkonnens and I think his introduction should be jarring.  I imagine Villeneuve is saving his intro for the big Gladiatorial set piece with the captured Atredies soldier.  I think that'd be a really good way to meet him.
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 09:48:24 AM »
Ok…this looks like one worth waiting for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10