World and War:Blood and Bridges

Started by JudgeDredd, September 15, 2014, 01:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So as the referendum is on this week, I've got Thursday through Sunday off - and I am determined to get these rules IN my head and do an AAR of this game.

It should be right up my street - modern warfare, cold war era - but the rules are - well, not overly clear...especially for someone with a short term memory problem.

But I have started and restarted an AAR before for this and didn't get anywhere...this time it's for real (I hope)

Third time lucky

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

World at War
Blood and Bridges

Scenario 1 - Separation
May 22nd 1985 - 06:30
During the night, retreating elements of both the 613th Panzer and 182nd Panzer Grenadiers attempt to link up with remnants of the 171st Panzer Grenadiers, which were regrouping after their battle with the 1st Tank in the Eisenbach Gap.

At the same time the lead elements of the Soviet breakthrough forces push forward hoping to seize a Rhine crossing before the British are aware that they are threatened.

In the pouring rain and confusion, the combatants get separated. As the sun rises and the rain disappears, Soviets and Germans alike realise they are not the only detached units in the area.

Scenario Details
Order of Battle
Soviets
93rd Recon
  1xHQ, 2xT80, 2xBRDM-2, 2xBMP-2
62nd Motor Rifle
  1xHQ, 3xBTR-70, 3xInfantry
Reinforcements
57th Air
  2xHind E (enter via AP13 when marker is selected)
1xSu-25 (added to selection on turn 3)

West German
1/613rd Panzer
  1xHQ, 3xM48
2/182nd PzGren
  1xHQ, 3xMarder, 3xInfantry, 1xRedeye, 1xMilan, 1xPanzer Morser

Setup
A roll of 6 for the 1/613rd Panzer sees it setup within 3 hexes of AN23.
1xHQ + 1xM48 to the east of Bendorf in AO21
1xM48 to the south of Bendorf in AQ22
1xM48 to the east of Rieden in AK22

A roll of 6 for the 93rd Recon also sees it setup within 3 hexes of AN23
1xHQ + 2xBRDM-2 south east of Rieden in AK25
1xBMP-2 in AK23
1xT-80 in AK24
1xT-80 in AL25
1xBMP-2 east of the river in AO25

A roll of 2 sees the 2/182nd PzGren setup within 3 hexes of AF10
1xHQ + 1xPzMrs north of the lake in AF12
1xMarder + 1xInfantry (unloaded) setup in the woods in AG13
1xMarder + 1xInfantry (unloaded) setup in AI11
1xMarder + 1xInfantry (unloaded) setup in the woods south west of Faulbach in AG8

A roll of 6 for the 62nd Motor Rifle also sees it setup within 3 hexes of AN23 - it's pretty crowded down there!
1xHQ + 1xBTR-70 + 1xInfantry (unloaded) in the shattered forest south west of Bendorf in AO23
1xBTR-70 + 1xInfantry (unloaded) in the forest south west of Bendorf in AP22
1xBTR-70 + 1xInfantry (unloaded) south of Bendorf in AQ25

This is the setup at start

A closer look to the south west of Bendorf

And a closer look to the north of the lake

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I am working on this - I promise. It's just a time sink trying to work out what I can and can't do and what the rules mean/don't mean.

First salvo is going to the 62nd Motor Rifle...first chit pulled. So things are going to get harem scarem 1/613th Panzer!
Alba gu' brath

Capn Darwin

One of my favorite BnB scenarios.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

One I don't think I've played and I've played a good chunk of the BnB scenarios. Looking forward to the AAR!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

OK...question time...

I have a BTR-70 which doesn't have an AP range, firepower or to hit value...is that able to attack a tank?

The reason I ask is because there doesn't seem to be any benefit to the defending AFV if a unit is using HE values (no HE armour or save values)...just the normal Armour and Save values.

It only says in the manual "...Attackers usually use their AP firepower to attack hard targets"...not "can ONLY use their AP firepower to attack hard targets"

Most confusing...especially as there seems to be no detrimental effect to using HE

I'm guessing if it ONLY has HE, then it can attack with those and if it has AP and HE, then it would use the best values against the target - which would be AP on AFV's??
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Hey JD,

My understanding is that HE can only be fired against "thin-skinned" AFVs, those with an Armor Value of 1 and a save number of 5-6.

AP is meant for "hard targets", heavily armored AFVs. HE is meant for soft targets, thin-skinned AFVs and helos.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JudgeDredd

Thx mirth.

The problem with the rules is that things are mentioned in several places when they apply in one place and should be referenced in other places. For example, the HQ Leadership value. There's a section in the manual that is titled HQ Leadership which mentions the use of the value when checking morale...however, that section DOESN'T mention the value being used for boosting a unit's attack...that is mentioned in the section HQ Combat...and isn't even referenced or mentioned in the attacking section

This is more a fight with the rules than it is on the map!  ;D
Alba gu' brath

mirth

It's a great game system, but the rules are a bit of a mess. It can be frustrating. I've had many 'WTF' moments myself trying to figure them out.

Staggerwing

Sounds like a "W@W for Dummies" guide would be helpful for some of us, myself especially.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on October 05, 2014, 06:42:14 AM
Hey JD,

My understanding is that HE can only be fired against "thin-skinned" AFVs, those with an Armor Value of 1 and a save number of 5-6.

AP is meant for "hard targets", heavily armored AFVs. HE is meant for soft targets, thin-skinned AFVs and helos.
Having said that - common sense would suggest that if you only had HE - you'd fire it.

BUT - I'll go with AV of 1 and Save of 5-6 is a light armoured AFV and therefore doesn't get attacked with HE values.

Thanks

And World at War for Dummies wouldn't be needed if the rules were simpler. As with you mirth, I love the look the game and the feel of the play and the system - but the rules are a minefield.

Impulse one is going to be here shortly - I've been writing, reading and playing for more than an hour now and I've only managed one formation's impulse!!
Alba gu' brath