Are you cool? Sharks and Jets

Started by GJK, January 31, 2015, 11:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

The situation: Central Park, 28 May 1957: Early in the spring  the Jets had held the line in their turf wars with  the Sharks. After their initial setbacks at the  playground and during boy-girl dances at the  gym the Sharks had regrouped and resumed their  offensive, taking control of most the park by  mid-May. The Sharks planned to spend the last  week of May consolidating their position  painting graffiti in the park rest areas. With  school almost over for the year the Jets were  preparing to launch their own counter-offensive  in June with the park as the frontline. Thus  neither side was fully prepared when Tony and  Maria decided to sneak away and enjoy a  romantic springtime stroll only to be discovered  by Chino - as all hell broke loose.

Played to "Tonight" ensemble version (2/4 time but 2 measures per player turn. Each Gang Member Counter (GMC) has 4 MF's)

This will be an AAR for the game "Sharks and Jets" (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22083/sharks-and-jets) which is really ASL(SK) dressed up in West Side Story leotards.

I've created all of the game components, mounted the counters and mapboards.  The goal is to entice my fiance to play a game with me.  So far, this is a solitaire only playtest scenario.

The map is what Central Park would look like if this were ASL with the exceptions that what are wheatfields in ASL are flowerbeds in S&J.  Stone buildings are Rest Stop buildings and wooden buildings in ASL are pavilions here.

The gang "Sharks" are baby blue and the "Jets" are yellow.  These are rival gangs and this is gang warfare but if you've dared seen West Side Story, then you know that the "fighting" is really dancing.  Hang in there, we'll get through this.  The turns follow the ASL sequence of play however the phases are:

RALLY PHASE – RPh
CHORAL DANCE PHASE – CDPh
MOVEMENT PHASE – MPh
DEFENSIVE FIRST DANCE ATTACKS
DEFENSIVE DANCE PHASE
ADVANCING DANCE PHASE
ROUT PHASE– RtPh
ADVANCE PHASE – APh
PANTOMIME PHASE

VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Sharks win if there are no cool (unbroken/good order) Jets in any rest area (building) on map boards 4 or 1.

The scenario at start has Tony of the Sharks walking with Maria (sister of Jets gang member) in Central park. 

They have been spotted by Chino of the Sharks and he calls out to his fellow gang members who will enter the park first on Turn one on the east edge of the map (right side of map).

During Turn 1 Choral Dance Phase (Prep Fire Phase), Pepe, Rocco and Toro have also spotted Tony and Maria.  Toro attempts to dance for Tony but it's far away long distance and Tony is unphased by the twirls and leaps of Toro.  Pepe and Rocco forgo the dancing as there's some trees in the way.

For their half of the turn, the Jets enter the park from the west (left side of map) and do so without being detected because of trees and objects in the park blocking the view. 

The end of turn 1 finds the Sharks clearly in control of the rest areas of boards 1 and 4.  The Jets have 6 turns to "freak out" (break) the Sharks and have them run off the map.

Next up, Turn 2 and more dancing!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I can honestly say that I'm speechless
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

"DANCING WITH THE DEVIL" Turn 2.

The turn starts with the Sharks gang members moving in to Central park where they are loitering around the rest area buildings.  They're able to move in to position to defend their turf without any incident.

This scenario is only 6 turns long and so the Jets have to play aggressively and with that, they enter the park from the west and attempt some "in your face" dancing.  Let's see how the Sharks respond.

Riff (Sharks gang leader) tells Baby John to try and flank the Jets held up in one of the rest area buildings.  Baby John leaps out from behind some trees, does a pirouette along the trail when he is spotted by Toro of the Jets.  Toro does a high leg kick and shoots a mean look towards Baby John but it has no effect.  Baby John is stage left and in position for the next scene (turn).

Next Riff instructs A-rab to line dance over towards the same rest area building.  He leaps and spins and while up high on his toes he moves closer and closer to where some of the Sharks are hanging out.

As soon as he comes from behind the trees, Rocco (under Pepe's direction) yells "hold it right there!" and does the splits.  A-rab is not impressed and he moves closer and then closer towards the building until he is up close and personal with Toro of the Sharks. 

Toro raises his hand, waves it back and forth while snapping his fingers and says "uh uh boyfriend" which totally Freaks Out A-rab.  This puts an end to the great charge - not at all reminiscent of what Pickett and his men did but a charge nonetheless.  A-rab will need to crawl back towards the trees.

As a final "we spit in your general direction" type of moment, Chico and Juano of the Sharks dance in duo towards the Jets gang leader himself, Riff.  But being super cool, Riff just nods.

The action as it stands at the end of turn 2:

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

mirth

That is either the best or worst thing I have ever seen. Still trying to figure out which.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 19, 2015, 08:07:15 PM
That is either the best or worst thing I have ever seen. Still trying to figure out which.

+10,000 

Edit: LOLOLOLOL...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22083/sharks-and-jets

You can download it there, it looks like. Free game.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

I've done a complete revision of the graphics for it (as can be seen in my pics above).  I've also rewritten the rulebook by keeping it more in line with ASL(SK).  It *is* basically ASL(SK) but with the West Side Story theme.  I'm in the process of a move so haven't had a chance to get back to my AAR but the *real* goal is to get the girlfriend interested enough to play it with me (we'll see).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 19, 2015, 08:08:46 PM
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22083/sharks-and-jets

You can download it there, it looks like. Free game.

Quote from:  from game descriptionChoreography results table
Awesome!

Quote from: GJK on February 19, 2015, 10:15:54 PM
the *real* goal is to get the girlfriend interested enough to play it with me (we'll see).

Best of luck!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys