My first attempt ever at painting, STUG IV

Started by agrippamaxentius, August 20, 2015, 12:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agrippamaxentius

Don't laugh too hard!  :crazy2: So im actually surprised I was able to manage this, this is from the flames of war series recommended by longblade and others.  I threw some dabs of panther Gray on for a more "Urban" look, not sure if good. Please leave some feedback, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: bbmike on August 20, 2015, 12:14:35 PM
Laugh? That looks good to me.  O0
Thanks man! :D I was very self conscious about posting it, now I just hope I can do a decent job on the much smaller infantry units :D.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

LongBlade

Nobody will look closely at your infantry so don't sweat it too much.

That tank looks great - especially for a first time. Practice will improve your skills. Keep at it and keep posting!  :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: LongBlade on August 20, 2015, 12:36:59 PM
Nobody will look closely at your infantry so don't sweat it too much.

That tank looks great - especially for a first time. Practice will improve your skills. Keep at it and keep posting!  :)
Thanks LongBlade! :D

LongBlade

Here are a couple of mine with some terrain. Haven't played in a couple of years. Makes me want to break them out again.

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: LongBlade on August 20, 2015, 01:00:29 PM
Here are a couple of mine with some terrain. Haven't played in a couple of years. Makes me want to break them out again.

Holy damn that looks incredible! How long did you have to practice before you moved onto more complex patterns like this?

LongBlade

Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 20, 2015, 02:23:09 PM
Holy damn that looks incredible! How long did you have to practice before you moved onto more complex patterns like this?

Honestly they're more minimalist than complex. The one on the right has a base coat with a sort of kelly green randomly drawn all over it.

The one on the left is even more minimal with a base coat and three colors of simple stripes drawn to break up what I perceive as the critical points of the outline. Whether it would actually be effective or not I don't know, but I liked the look and went with it.

remember that the object of camo isn't simply to scribble scrabble colors hither and yon, but rather to break up the outline. Whenever you see a pattern emerge in your lines you need to run another color over or under it to toss the pattern on its head. Corners of vehicles need to be paid attention to. Profiles (silhouette) should be broken up as best as possible. You needn't have complexity to accomplish this.

Also, there are true camo patterns out there that were used on vehicles. for authenticity you can do a bit of research (there are books as well as a few online resources) which can help you. I played with a guy who had researched a particular unit in Patton's army which had been authorized to use a kind of night camo. He was unable to find any surviving visual documentation but he did know it used a dark green and black pattern. So he used his imagination and did the rest.

If you really want to get into the weeds you can try to match the exact colors used by historical units. Heh.

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: LongBlade on August 20, 2015, 02:38:04 PM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 20, 2015, 02:23:09 PM

Honestly they're more minimalist than complex. The one on the right has a base coat with a sort of kelly green randomly drawn all over it.

The one on the left is even more minimal with a base coat and three colors of simple stripes drawn to break up what I perceive as the critical points of the outline. Whether it would actually be effective or not I don't know, but I liked the look and went with it.

remember that the object of camo isn't simply to scribble scrabble colors hither and yon, but rather to break up the outline. Whenever you see a pattern emerge in your lines you need to run another color over or under it to toss the pattern on its head. Corners of vehicles need to be paid attention to. Profiles (silhouette) should be broken up as best as possible. You needn't have complexity to accomplish this.

Also, there are true camo patterns out there that were used on vehicles. for authenticity you can do a bit of research (there are books as well as a few online resources) which can help you. I played with a guy who had researched a particular unit in Patton's army which had been authorized to use a kind of night camo. He was unable to find any surviving visual documentation but he did know it used a dark green and black pattern. So he used his imagination and did the rest.

If you really want to get into the weeds you can try to match the exact colors used by historical units. Heh.
That's extremely cool. So can I paint some of my units somewhat differently "For instance my Wehrmacht Infantry" and turn them into SS units with some black/grey or would this go against game rules?

LongBlade

Some guys do indeed paint for specific units - down even to the company level. I don't, but Flames of War retails dice to match the army you're using: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=79&CategoryID=2482&PageIndex=6   

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Looks like a good paint job to me, Agrippa.  O0

When I started up, I did some machines at first.  Good way to ease into it, IMO.  Painting faces, white clothing, and fur have been where I've had a slow time improving.  Doing living beings is a challenge I've not quite conquered yet.

So glad there are many YT vids with painting tips.  Learned a lot of stuff from them and I think they helped me hit the ground running.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: LongBlade on August 20, 2015, 01:00:29 PM

Well of course the building's destroyed.  That's what you get for putting red barrels right next to the place.  Everyone knows the red barrels are the explodey kind.

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 20, 2015, 06:02:03 PM
Well of course the building's destroyed.  That's what you get for putting red barrels right next to the place.  Everyone knows the red barrels are the explodey kind.

Hee hee. That's why I painted them that color. I really liked this sculpt - the giant hole looks like a shell plowed through it. But when you look closely you can tell that they used something like a big fat pen to shape the hole as it tapers smoothly to a point. But I still really like it and thought it would look awesome painted to appear still burning. I could probably go back and paint some more shading to make the contrast gradual, but since I'm not playing FoW at all right now I'll leave that be. Got plenty of other mad stuffz to paint ATM.

agrippamaxentius