Better Dead than Red: A Red Menace AAR

Started by BanzaiCat, January 12, 2016, 11:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I have a couple of other AARs already, which now that the insanity of the holidays and return to work is hopefully winding down, I can get to...and add to as well!

INTRO
Red Menace is a solitaire game that I bought some time ago from the Wargame Vault (http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php). It is a download-and-play game, with PDF rules and BMP files for counters, as well as a VASSAL module for play (if you prefer that method as opposed to printing and playing). The game, at the time, cost $4.99 to purchase.

This game is a solitaire wargame, and as the rules state, "[pits] the strategic nuclear and defensive forces of the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom against those of the Soviet Union and its client state, Cuba, in 1959."

The game is heavily focused on strategic bombers as the means for delivering nuclear weapons to the enemy. Interceptors on both sides are also modeled, as are AEW and refueling birds. As the player, you control the Western forces (e.g. the U.S., UK, and Canada) while the game system runs the Soviets (including Cuba).

One very important note: the rules state quite clearly that the "game is not meant to be an accurate simulation of the actual capabilities of the strategic forces involved, but rather reflects what the governments and citizens of the U.S., Canada, and the UK believed could happen." It's not at all a serious delve into the world of nuclear wargaming, but it looks to be a fun ride and a quick play.

ADJUSTMENTS
I've made some adjustments to how the map and counters look through the glory of Photoshop. If you're familiar with Red Menace already, this will look slightly different, but not enough to affect gameplay (just aesthetics). If you're not familiar with the game, I'll go through a comparison to show you what the game comes with, as opposed to the changes I made.

The Map
Red Menace comes with an 11"x17" BMP file of the map. I changed several things, including the hexes (making them more pronounced), adding in names of cities instead of letters, changed city icons, and the way the USSR is portrayed.

The old map is to the left, while the new one is to the right.

Above is a closer view of the southeastern U.S., with the Caribbean in view (including Cuba).

And here's what I did to change things. Note that in the original game, letter 'M' refers to Dallas. I changed it to Houston since geographically it's in the same hex, and I live in the Houston area. While I wouldn't mind seeing the Dallas Cowboys nuked, goodness knows I've watched enough Texans football to wish it to happen here, too.

(I say that completely tongue-in-cheek, of course. NSA, I do not believe carrying out a nuclear war to be conducive of good, wholesome life, so please, look elsewhere. Thank you!)

As for the Soviet side of the map, here is the original image. It looks good – clear and clean, but I just can't leave well enough alone, so...

I couldn't resist the hammer-and-sickle designs, making the game map look a little more ominous and better underlining the 'Red Menace' that the game is named for. (At least, to me; you may not like my changes.)

There might be a few other changes that I cannot recall offhand as I've been working on this for a minute here or four minutes there over the last several months.

As for the counters...here are some examples of the Soviets. Since they come from the top of the map and move south, it seemed to make more sense to flip them around so they're facing the other way. The white backgrounds weren't very eye-catching, so I did my best to make them look more so with a few quick changes.

As for the West's aircraft, here's an example. I put their own forces' logo behind the aircraft (specific to the RAF and RCAF, but for the U.S. I just did a white star). I kept their aircraft's orientation pointing upwards, since they're facing their enemies from that direction.

The second countersheet has markers for nuke strikes and a few other things, but I didn't change any of it.

THE GAME
I plan on playing using the images I created as opposed to VASSAL. Doing this kind of graphic work is very cathartic to me (almost like adult coloring books...almost), so I may as well do this on what I created.

I'll get more into the game when I discuss set up, coming up soon. I have a couple of other AARs that as I said, I'll be getting back to soon, too.  O0

Barthheart

Cool! I also bought this game but have yet to get it to table.

I can mod up the VASSAL module for you if you want to use it for the AAR....

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on January 12, 2016, 12:27:59 PM
Oh, and use the advanced rules.  O0

You mean the Optional Rules? Reduced US Bomber Force, Additional Soviet Interceptors, Unknown Soviet Air Defenses, and Sudden Death?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on January 12, 2016, 12:26:45 PM

What do you mean by 'mod up?' I'm just going to do it through Photoshop and take screenshots. At least that was the plan...maybe I should do VASSAL.  ???

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 12, 2016, 12:48:20 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 12, 2016, 12:26:45 PM

What do you mean by 'mod up?' I'm just going to do it through Photoshop and take screenshots. At least that was the plan...maybe I should do VASSAL.  ???

I could change the graphics in the VASSAL module to what you have created. Then you could more easily make pics and such.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 12, 2016, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 12, 2016, 12:27:59 PM
Oh, and use the advanced rules.  O0

You mean the Optional Rules? Reduced US Bomber Force, Additional Soviet Interceptors, Unknown Soviet Air Defenses, and Sudden Death?

Yeah optional...

BanzaiCat

I've been wondering how to edit VASSAL modules, actually.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 12, 2016, 01:39:30 PM
I've been wondering how to edit VASSAL modules, actually.

If you want to learn it's pretty easy to do. If you don't then I can change the map and pieces for you in about 20 minutes....