Texas on the Red Sea: July 7, 1969

Started by MengJiao, June 16, 2016, 02:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Historically, the IDF managed to shoot down 9 Mig 21s with this ambush scenario based on the fact that the Egyptian air defense radar did not cover the area south of Suez City very well.  Plus the IDF had a radar system that they would snap on to track the Egyptian interceptors when they moved into the area  to see what the Israeli Mirages were up to down there in what the Israeli pilots called "Texas".

In making this work solitaire, I made the Israeli ambush a variable set of dummies to be revealed and I'm going to fly 8 Mig 21s in to see what happens -- rather like the Egyptians really did, at least initially.  In the Elusive Victory scenario the Egyptians get twice the points for shooting anything down so a 1:1 draw will give them a big win.

mirth

Another game I own and need to play...
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MengJiao

Quote from: mirth on June 16, 2016, 02:29:22 PM

It is a fairly cool game.  The southern map has quite a few pyramids noted on it.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 16, 2016, 08:45:46 PM

It is a fairly cool game.  The southern map has quite a few pyramids noted on it.

2 minutes into the battle and the Egyptians have a random quick response event...so that's good and SAM-2Bs start switching on and they have 12 Mig21s in the air, BUT the detection rolls leave them all detected and only one possible Israeli dummy is spotted, so things still could go south pretty fast for the Egyptians:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 17, 2016, 10:10:39 AM

2 minutes into the battle and the Egyptians have a random quick response event...so that's good and SAM-2Bs start switching on and they have 12 Mig21s in the air, BUT the detection rolls leave them all detected and only one possible Israeli dummy is spotted, so things still could go south pretty fast for the Egyptians:

4 minutes in and the Egyptians do the (last-first) defender move thing and collide with the Mirages at medium altitude (assuming those are not dummies).

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 18, 2016, 01:33:25 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 17, 2016, 10:10:39 AM

4 minutes in and the Egyptians do the (last-first) defender move thing and collide with the Mirages at medium altitude (assuming those are not dummies).

Not dummies, but aggresive ace-level Mirages with EXTREMELY deadly gun sights.  Result:  Egyptians -- no hits, IDF -- two MIGs down and one crippled.  Yikes!

And it looks like things are getting even messier:  SAMs acquired one flight of Mirages and 8 Mirages will probably be engaging 4 Migs at high altitude.  If the ratios stay the same
the overall result could be something like 6 migs down for no IDF loses.  Just like what really happened more or less.  Photos later.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Staggerwing

Damn- it's only $29USD right now.

Has anyone here played via VASSAL yet? Would it be suitable for a turn-a-day match?

mirth

mirth

Nice write up, Meng.  Looking forward to the additional pics.

MengJiao

Quote from: mirth on June 19, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Looks like the end.  Every day Charlie is in the Jungle getting stronger:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 19, 2016, 01:35:02 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 19, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Looks like the end.  Every day Charlie is in the Jungle getting stronger:

And it was the end.  The Egyptians achieved a double bounce surprise and didn't get into position to make any shots.  The Surprised Israelis got off a shot and missed.  SAMs would fire next turn, but at extreme range so this battle is over.