Star Wars Battlefront II

Started by Grimnirsson, October 12, 2017, 07:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

So, I have been playing the beta now for quite some time and actually it feels I played it longer than the first game (which was boring as hell) and I enjoyed it - it is much better than BF1 and has the SW feel the first one was lacking. BF2 seems to have enough content this time, enough variation and simply more reason to actually play it. But...and there's a BIG BUT...EA is taking their greed to a completely new level now.

Counting on the fact that the SW topic is attractive for a huge crowd they said "Well, we are nice to you and will give all the DLC that comes out later for the game out for free, maps, weapons, characters, stuff, all for free - you pay the 60 bucks and we will give you the DLC stuff for free this time. Aren't we great?" They can do this because they had a much better idea this time (but the idea seems to be part of a longer plan, check out the speech by former EA CEO John Riccitiello below...) and so they put in the loot boxes that every game seems to have now and which are a pest imo but this time it's not cosmetics what you get here (that doesn't work with the Lucas Arts license I suppose, a stormtrooper in pink shoes...nah, not going to happen) but the whole progression system and level up is based on opening loot crates that spill out stuff randomly!

So if you want to modify your weapon with stuff you'll have to wait that what you need drops from the random loot. You get the loot crates by playing the game, but you don't get many...you can also craft weapons etc. but only with crafting points that....may appear in the random loot crates...or not. And of course you can shell out more money to BUY these loot boxes. The plan is to get you frustrated enough that you don't get better gear by playing so that you eventually open your wallet to at least have more chances to maybe get what you want. This way you could play forever, waiting forever that you get stuff to even the playing field with those who bought the game for 60 bucks and immediately dropped 200 bucks more for the loot crates and now have the cool star cards and weapons and good gear that let them stomp all over the noobs who only paid the 60 bucks for the game. EA actually brought in the real light vs dark side part of the SW saga into a game...the dark side is luring you all the time, come on just buy some more loot boxes, you get stuff you need....and playing will be so much more fun if you can actually fight back...come...just one or three boxes...a day...try it....or stay a lame Jedi, refuse the temptation and repeat the mantra "I already PAID for the game" but then don't cry if you get annihilated by a Boba Fett who has that nice legendary card equipped that is reducing his damage to 100%...come....imagine you can be that cool....try a shiny loot box....it's rather cheap....

That's a low level I could not have imagined, the DLC politics so that you make a game and then cut out parts to later sell as DLC was already low imho and the games and the hobby suffered because of this greed. But this now...pay for your progression... is beyond what I can stand. Many SW fans and players who will play the game are younger, kids maybe and this is luring them into a gambling mood which is not acceptable. And imagine the fun playing RPGs in the future....level up! -> go to store...disgusting what these greedy bastards in suits do to what was once a great hobby  :tickedoff:

So, no matter how I liked what I played I am not sure I will support this by buying the game when it stays the way it was in the beta. I can think of possibilities that they keep that system without annoying the dudes who only play the game the normal way, say by giving you much more of these boxes for playing the game, doing the challenges and all but I doubt they will change much...it's testing the water...if too many people cry out or the game sales suffer they will perhaps adjust it, but at launch it will be this way I'm sure.

Here's how it works:

And here's the master plan behind it...in the end you'll buy a shooter and they will make you pay for the bullets you need to shoot...

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

jamus34

Yeah I'm quickly reaching the point of saying "fuck EA". I'm fine with micro transactions for non gameplay elements (i.e. Visual customization) but as soon as it goes to "pay to win" I'm out. And that's on a FTP game. On a game where they $60 bones and then throw in this shit??? >:(
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

Warning for language...Angry Joe was mentioning loot crates...same thing?

Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 13, 2017, 08:29:27 AM

Edited OP to add YT embed URL
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Grimnirsson

Huh? Didn't my YT videos show up? I have seen them... ???

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 13, 2017, 08:45:39 AM
Huh? Didn't my YT videos show up? I have seen them... ???

I don't see them. For embedding here, you should use the link created when you click on "Share"
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Grimnirsson

Well I should have written "I can see them" LOL since to me they never disappeared ;)
Anyway, I now used the share link address, to me, nothing changed, still there, so can you now see them too?

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

Grimnirsson

Ok! So you missed the sinister voice and thoughts of the former EA Emperor about his masterplan...

DICE published an official answer to the criticism:

Quotehttps://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/thank-you-beta

How much of this is the typical PR blabla just to avoid any further hate comments on this topic...well, we'll see in November.

www.homefrontcenter.de

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2017, 08:32:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 13, 2017, 08:29:27 AM

Edited OP to add YT embed URL

I included that.....and I couldn't see the links in Grimnirsson's post...is something wrong with the interwebs?

I do see his links now - hence why I missed that he'd posted AJs video

I've just noticed I included the URL instead of the Share URL from YT - which is very odd because I KNOW to use the URL from the Share option.

Oh well...brain fart.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

JD, the embedded link in your first post was this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4CnyNW9O4

This is the URL for the same video from the "Share" button - https://youtu.be/ne4CnyNW9O4

The Share URL is the one that always works for embedding in posts here.

*looks like you just figured it all out  :bd:

Grimnirsson

QuoteThe Share URL is the one that always works for embedding in posts here

But why can the poster see the videos as embedded in the post and others can't? I could understand that the "normal" URL just doesn't work here so that you have to use the share link to make it appear in your post...for everybody including yourself. But that the normal URL works fine for the poster but not for everybody else...strange  ???

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

Grimnirsson

www.homefrontcenter.de

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 13, 2017, 09:55:35 AM
QuoteThe Share URL is the one that always works for embedding in posts here

But why can the poster see the videos as embedded in the post and others can't? I could understand that the "normal" URL just doesn't work here so that you have to use the share link to make it appear in your post...for everybody including yourself. But that the normal URL works fine for the poster but not for everybody else...strange  ???
I couldn't see my post. When I posted I just didn't check and only noticed it when I saw a reply and came to look  :smiley6600:
Alba gu' brath