Fleurus: August 29, 1622

Started by MengJiao, August 07, 2020, 06:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Fleurus ( a lot of battles happened around Fleurus) is another battle like Nieuport where even the question of who won or lost can be described differently.  At Neiuport in 1600, the Dutch obliterated the Spanish/Imperial army but failed to take Nieuport.  Since seiges were massive undertakings, the failure of a seige was a bigger outcome than the loss of a small army.

Fleurus is kind of the flip side of Nieuport; the Spanish mostly destroyed Mansfeldt's small army. but enough of it got by to force Spinola to raise the seige of Breda (when Breda fell to another siege a few years later it merited a dwarf-free painting by Velasquez).  Anyway, Here is the beginning of my latest run of Fleurus.  Both sides have about 300 more men and Mansfelt's men have been paid by the Dutch:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 07, 2020, 06:42:10 AM
Anyway, Here is the beginning of my latest run of Fleurus.  Both sides have about 300 more men and Mansfelt's men have been paid by the Dutch:

Having been paid, Mansfelt's army starts to follow orders and Cordoba moves to block them:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 10, 2020, 05:52:34 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 07, 2020, 06:42:10 AM
Anyway, Here is the beginning of my latest run of Fleurus.  Both sides have about 300 more men and Mansfelt's men have been paid by the Dutch:

Having been paid, Mansfelt's army starts to follow orders and Cordoba moves to block them:

And the mad Halberstader is about to charge:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 27, 2020, 12:30:08 PM

And the mad Halberstader is about to charge:

And (about an hour into the battle)...around 8:20 AM...he's trying to reform for another charge (Historically he charged 10 times and had his left arm shattered by a musket ball):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 31, 2020, 09:21:30 AM

And at around 8:30, Cordoba finds his his left is collapsing.  This sort of resembles what happened historically (though it took all day) and I suspected it would happen like this in my slightly modified version.  So...time to beef up both sides and hope Cordoba does better next time!