Hellish Quart - Anyone?

Started by Philistine, February 25, 2021, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philistine

Hellish Quart is an early access 17th century fencing simulator/fighting game.

It's only got 5 fighters working (out of a planned 12), and the gameplay is limited to 2 singleplayer modes:  pick your fencer and your opponent for a single fight, and survival, where you pick your fencer and cycle through the others until you die.  There's apparently a rudimentary multiplayer that I understand is a bit hit or miss (no pun intended), with a planned robust multiplayer and a single-player story mode

AIUI, it's a two-man outfit putting it together, one of them did animations for the Witcher 3.

I'm enjoying it, for what it is:  best looking and playing sword fighting game I've played.  It gets a lot of comparison to Bushido Blade (which I never played).

The stated aim is to be as realistic looking/playing as fun and gameplay allows.  It's $16.99--which is a bit spendy for the fairly limited nature of the game right now--but what is there plays very well.  If you have a particular interest in sword-fighting, it should be a must-buy--or at least keeping it on the watch list till it matures a bit more.

Anyone played it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1000360/Hellish_Quart/

--Philistine

ArizonaTank

I have it, and have played a bit. 

While I really like it's portrayal of sword fights, there still is not much there as a game.

still, it is very promising...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Looks very interesting. But I notice that at the moment it is essentially single player. Unless you want to play it split screen locally.
I think even when it is online PVP if they ever get their, that it will still be 1v1.
Otherwise it looks really good.

I often watch Matt Easton's video and he has done some good commentary on the game;
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Looks set to be good once it's fleshed out a little. I wishlisted it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

smithcorp

I like the look of it, but the side-scrolling style position seems weird. I have seen some FPS looking gameplay that looks so much more interesting but I think its not meant to be played that way. I think it would be incredible in VR, but again I don't think they are heading that way. Game also seems to have auto parry or something like it?

Philistine

It's not completely side-scrolling, there is some "3-D" movement as well--which, I have to admit, sometimes I find disconcerting because it can obscure the camera a bit at times.

No FPS view contemplated as far as I know.  It is auto parry-the only input on parrying is backup or double backup, both have an effect--otherwise when and how to parry is automatic.  It actually works pretty well as a mechanic.

--Philistine

smithcorp

I fenced when I was a young man, so being able to play something like this in VR first-person would be amazing. The actions of the fencers looks really great though.

Destraex

Quote from: Philistine on March 03, 2021, 07:35:07 AM
It's not completely side-scrolling, there is some "3-D" movement as well--which, I have to admit, sometimes I find disconcerting because it can obscure the camera a bit at times.

No FPS view contemplated as far as I know.  It is auto parry-the only input on parrying is backup or double backup, both have an effect--otherwise when and how to parry is automatic.  It actually works pretty well as a mechanic.

--Philistine

This sounds horrible unfortunately.

Philistine

Quote from: smithcorp on March 04, 2021, 03:37:49 AM
I fenced when I was a young man, so being able to play something like this in VR first-person would be amazing. The actions of the fencers looks really great though.

Which weapon?  I fenced Sabre in college and a while after.

A first person VR would be great, but I'm skeptical of how well you could program an AI.  Straight multiplayer, maybe, but I don't see how you could really implement attacks on the blade, or any other tactile signals.

Be sweet if they could, though!

--Philistine

smithcorp

Quote from: Philistine on March 04, 2021, 06:43:21 AM

Which weapon?  I fenced Sabre in college and a while after.

A first person VR would be great, but I'm skeptical of how well you could program an AI.  Straight multiplayer, maybe, but I don't see how you could really implement attacks on the blade, or any other tactile signals.

Be sweet if they could, though!

--Philistine

I fenced sabre and foil - I took a 6th in an Australian national sabre comp when I was about 17. I really loved sabre and as a lefty had some advantages.

I was no good at foil - first comp, and first bout I drew this bloke as my opponent - Greg Benko, fresh from the Montreal Olympics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Benko He stood there with a sort of nonchalant guard, I attacked, lazy parry, riposte, touch. Repeated until it was over. I had no chance.

Destraex

Smithcorp. Wish I had done some sword wielding\fencing back in the day. It sounds like it would have been fun.

Destraex

Well a friend of mine got me to get this and after 7 minutes in game (literally) I am thinking of refunding it.
I just think the street fighter side scrolling, auto blocking, set speed button rather than mouse attacking kind of game this is looks good to watch, but does not really do a good job of actually feeling like a sword fight. It feels like defender of the crown from the 90s, like it's scripted.

smithcorp

I want it to be first-person. Seems like it should be an option doesn't it?

ArizonaTank

While I like the fights, the lack of a reason to fight is holding me back from recommending it. So if Hellish Quart and Mount & Blade had a baby...that would be a game I could really love.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 28, 2021, 02:26:51 PM
So if Hellish Quart and Mount & Blade had a baby...that would be a game I could really love.

The 1v1 nature of the game seems like it would work really well with a Crusader Kings style game, where you navigate court politics resolve duels or fight off assassinations with a Hellish Quart style sword fight.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao