Digital Gaming > Ally/Opponent Finder

Vassal opponent?

(1/14) > >>

DicedT:
I've never really tried Vassal. It looks like a clunky way to play, but a lot of grogs swear by it, so maybe I'm missing something. Anyone want to teach the system to a newbie?

Michael

bayonetbrant:
or two newbies?

Staggerwing:
Funny thing, I was just thinking I'd try a couple of turns of Patton's Best this morning.
I've checked it out and tried a few Solitaire games for a couple of rounds but never played another person.
My problem is that when I'm home I have constant family distractions and can't stay in front of the computer
long enough to play more than a turn or two every couple of hours. I do want to try a more traditional PBEM
type session sometime maybe. No meaningful tips to pass on yet though. What I know is probably what you
know already if you have it installed and you've D/Led a module for a game you know . Most of the actual
playing looks very straight forward. It's module design that looks more intimidating.

Barthheart:
What games to you guys want to play on VASSAL?

I'm farily versed on the in's and out's. I usually play LnL's Band of Heroes series with VASSAL both live with Skype and PBEM.

A Skype session is usually a lot easier to explain how VASSAL work but it can be done using the chat function.

We could set up a session with a game that most know and then have as many people as are interested join in to learn/watch/kabitz. The basics can be learned in less than an hour, as long as we're not also teach the game rules itself.

Module design can be very intimidating. But the way I learned was to reverse code existing modules. I've done a bunch of LnL's games for the owner for both play testing and for free release. I can't do any of the real fancy stuff yet, java coding, but i'm learning all the time.

DicedT:
I'd like to start with something simple. Maybe War at Sea, or something like an old AH or SPI Quad Game?

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version