Band of Heroes AAR

Started by JudgeDredd, April 14, 2013, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Right

The time has come. I'm kicking off my learning boots and trying this beast out.

I know it's not as hardcore as other games out there - but the rules have had me reading and re-reading - trying desperately to hold them in my head. I wouldn't necessarily say they were difficult - but there's more than I'm really used to and my short term memory prob doesn't help.

I'm still not sure of armour or the OFT - and I DON'T like the multi level buildings (thinking about leaving that out forever). I also don't like the fact the game is missing counters. Namely victory counters and "multi level" counters.

I think the rules for the most part fit well with a squad based tactical wargame and probably err on the side of simple given other games out there.

I've watched some videos on Youtube (links supplied by Arctic Blast or Barthheart...sorry, can't remember) of which this scenario was one such link. And I know both of you had given some input previously - so thanks both

It should be noted I am rather a cautious commander and would be crap in real life because I care too much...to use the words from a famous song..."I'm a lover not a fighter"

So anyway - I'll do an AAR. I'd appreciate anyone stepping in to give instruction to rules and issues you see.

This AAR will be the infantry only Carentan...an 8 turn scenario

Set the scene....

The men of E Coy 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment entered Carentan on the morning of June 12th 1944. Colonel von der Heyte, the commander of the 6th Fallschirmjager, who were defending Carentan, had pulled all but 50 of his men from the city. These fifty would fight like tigers. Of course, their adversaries would be none other than The Screaming Eagles!

US Forces
Turn 1
3x2-5-4 Squads
1xBAR
Major Tom
Turn 2
3x2-5-4 Squads
1x1-4-4 Squad
1xM1919A4
Sgt Hill
Turn 3
3x2-5-4 Squads
1x1-4-4 Squad
1xSatchel Charge
1xM1919A4
1x2-2-6 Hero
Lt Michael

Axis Forces
Turn 1
1x3-3-4 Squad
1xMG42
Cpt Weiss
Turn 2
1x3-3-4 Squad
2x2-3-4 Squads
1xMG34
Lt Frietag
Turn 3
1x3-3-4 Squad
1x2-3-4 Squad
1x1-2-4 Squad
1xMG42
Lt Praun

1xSniper (any turn)

The US has a tough time here (I played this scenario a bit on the Vassal module). There's a fair bit of open ground to move through with some strong German defensive positions.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

This is the scenario start

Axis Forces
1x3-3-4 Squad, 1xMG42, Cpt Weiss in I3

US Forces
1x3-5-4 Squad in C4
1x3-5-4 Squad, 1xBAR in B4
1x3-5-4 Squad, Major Tom in A4
Alba gu' brath

Ubercat

I've played this scenario more than any other, perhaps 6 times. It's a great, compact little skirmish that almost looks like you could fit it in your pocket! I was the Americans in about 4 of those games and they haven't won yet. It's tough, but I'm sure that it hasn't helped that I always forget about my fate points!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JudgeDredd

Yeah - fate points look like they could get you out of an occasional hole.

I loved the scenario as soon as I saw it played (partly) on youtube and I gave it a partial run through on vassal...I say partial because I decided to stop and play it on the board - as that is my preferred method.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

JD, iam looking forward to your AAR :) 
there always great,  i love ... and also hate them ;) ...cause sooner or later it cost me money, cause i simply cant resist to get me the very game also, lol

because of the rule-memorizing-overload problem (and the upcoming spring with less time indoor-activity) i finally shied away from applying for the closed-beta of LnL over at Matrix (deadline 4/8) ...how can i help finding bugs, when i am not rock solid with the rules myself  :-[   

will this be a solitaire setup?

JudgeDredd

Thanks for your kind words MikeGer. I enjoy doing them because they highlight any issues I have with the rules and hopefully eagle eyed wargamers pick up on those issues.

Yes - it's solitaire.

It's difficult because although you can switch off to who you want to win...what you can't switch off is making a move you know will cost you...so you can shy away from some decisions. Luckily, there's an 8 turn limit and the US has to get across the board...so moving into open terrain will have to be done.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Hey, don't stop now! I want to see those para's get chewed to bits...... this is a VERY hard scenario for the US. Only won it once by being very sneaky....

JudgeDredd

Sorry

I haven't stopped. It's just my camera isn't great for taking photos in darker conditions and therefore I have to put the flash on - which ultimately puts a huge splash of light on the board. Also - I don't have alot of time during the week to get on this because I go out cycling after work so don't get in until about 8

But I will be playing this...I promise. I will definitely get a chunk of it done at the weekend and will try and kick it off tonight as my bike ride is shorter tonight

I fully expect you and Arctic Blast to kick me in the arse if I show some lack of understanding of the rules!
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 16, 2013, 10:30:29 AMIt's just my camera isn't great for taking photos in darker conditions and therefore I have to put the flash on - which ultimately puts a huge splash of light on the board

tape a tissue or two over the flash to help reduce the glare.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Scenario Objective
The AXIS own all buildings to the east of hex row "H"
Boths sides must must try and own more buildings to the east of hex row "H"
If both sides own 5 each, the AXIS win
To own a building, all hexes belonging to the building must have had a good order unit pass through it (MMC or Hero)

Special Rules and Reinforcements
All buildings are level 1
The AXIS has a Sniper that can be deployed any AXIS impulse
All AXIS reinforcements can be placed anywhere to the east of hex row "H" and deploying the unit does not count as it's impulse
All US units enter on the west side of the board
The US get 9 FATE POINTS. These can be used 1-3 at a time on an impulse to modify the AXIS die roll. The US must specify how many they will use. Using 3 sees the US unit being able to re-roll a bad defence roll OR have the AXIS player re-roll an attack. At the beginning of any US impulse where 5 FATE POINTS have been used the US can remove all Fired, Moved, Assault Moved, Low Crawl and Ops Complete markers from a hex.

Turn 1 Start
Initiative
Normally a roll for initiave happens here, with the highest roll winning initiative and if both rolls are the same, the side with initiative the previous turn gains the intiative again...but no roll is required on the first turn as the AXIS have the initiative

Rally Phase
Rallying units, packing up deployed (so the unit can move), deploying, picking up, dropping and exchanging support weapons happens this phase
No units to rally
The AXIS MG42 is deployed and they keep it deployed so they cannot move it

Operations Phase
Impulse 1 - AXIS
AXIS 1xMG42 (I3) attacks US 1x2-5-4 Squad (C4) (no spotting required because the US unit is in the open)
The US announce they will use one of their FATE points and this will be removed from the AXIS roll
AXIS attack roll = 2+1(leader)+3(IFP)-1(FATE POINT)-1(degrading terrain from E4) = 4 total
US defend roll = 2 (no TEM)
Red 1d12 shows number of FATE POINTS remaining
Yellow 1d10 shows number of FATE POINTS used

Difference of 2
Damage Check roll = 2+2(difference)=4 which is less than the US unit morale value (6)

Attack fails
The AXIS unit is marked as FIRED

Impulse 2 - US
US 1x2-5-4 Squad (C4) double times (DT) to C5,C6,D7,E7 and F7 for 6MPs and is marked with a MOVED marker

Impulse 3 - AXIS
PASS

Impulse 4 - US
US 1x2-5-4 Squad+1xBAR (B4) DT to C4, D4, E3 and F3 for 5MPs and is marked with a MOVED marker

Impulse 5 - AXIS
PASS

Impulse 6 - US
US 1xMJ Tom+1x2-5-4 (A4) Squad DT to B4, C4, C5,C6,D7 and E7 for 6MPs and is marked with a MOVED marker

Impulse 7 - AXIS
AXIS deploy Sniper to J8

AXIS Sniper (J8) attempts to attack MJ Tom (E7)
Axis attack roll (2d6) = 11+1(unit moving)=12
US defence roll = 3 (no TEM)

Difference of 9!
US announces it will use 3 FATE POINTS
Damage Check roll = 4+9-3(FATE POINTS) = 10 which is greater than the morale value (6) for MJ Tom

Attack succeeds and MJ Tom is SHAKEN. As the US used 3 FATE POINTS, it could have the AXIS roll again. However, the minimum the AXIS could roll is 1, giving a minimum DAMAGE CHECK value of 7 meaning he would be shaken anyway - so the only outcomes for re-rolling would be the same or worse...so the US player does not get the AXIS to re-roll.

The AXIS Sniper (J8) is marked as FIRED

Impulse 8 - US
PASS

Impulse 9 - AXIS
PASS

Impulse 10 - US
PASS

Administration Phase
All Moved and Fired counters are removed.
This is the situation at the end of Turn 1

Turn 1 End

NB
I hadn't changed the red d12 and yellow d10 to reflect the FATE POINTS remaining...but the US has 5 FATE POINTS remaining (red d12) and has used 4 FATE POINTS (yellow d10) 
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quick note JD:

1) Squads can only double time when they move with a leader for their entire movment.

2) When a sniper attackes a hex with more than 1 unit in it, you randomly choose the target, you don't pick the target.

3) Just flip any MMC (multiman counter) or SMC (single man counter) when shaken, it will show "Shaken" across the lower edge of the counter. Except heroes, heroes never shake. Usually the shaken counters are for weapon teams and vehicles.

JudgeDredd

1) BUGGER. I knew I was being too confident not rechecking some rules! I will move those two units (F3 will move to E2 and F7 to D6) because they are clearly in a position they shouldn't be which puts them in a stronger position for the next round than they should be at this stage. By moving them to the hexes mentioned above, they are protected but not in the strong position they would be. Thanks.

2) I know...I read that and I decided to ignore it. I even rolled the dice and then thought "Hold on...if a sniper was going to attack he would be able to choose his target".
But I now see the point of the random roll - that the hexes are 40m and some units may be spotted and some not...some may be hiding, someone may stick their head up etc...so I will employ the random rule next time.

3)Thanks. Forgot about the Shaken side of the SMC!

NB
In addition to the changes in position I made for the two squads who should not have double timed, I've also made a roll for the MMC and SMC under fire from the Sniper. A 1-3 would see the SMC get hit and a 4-6 would see the MMC get hit. I rolled a 3 - so the damage stands - MJ Tom is shaken.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

at #2)
at the front line its SOP that officers (and medics) try to look as grunt-like as possible  so the sniper can only guess from the interacting behavior of the group who may be senior to whom...  ;)

-edit- and he guessed right this time   :)

ArizonaTank

Just got my copy of BoH so interested to see how this goes.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

Short bike ride tonight - so Turn 2 to follow tonight  ;D
Alba gu' brath