Band of Heroes AAR

Started by JudgeDredd, April 14, 2013, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Quote from: MikeGER on April 17, 2013, 02:20:03 AM
at #2)
at the front line its SOP that officers (and medics) try to look as grunt-like as possible  so the sniper can only guess from the interacting behavior of the group who may be senior to whom...  ;)

-edit- and he guessed right this time   :)

Or perhaps the sniper *wanted* to choose whatever target was randomly rolled even thought the player would of chosen a different one.

Is there any way to get a copy of this scenario?  I think it might be interesting to do a similar set up using ASL and compare the results.  You could even use the BoH mapboard so that the playing field is identical.  The only issue I see in recreating this scenario in ASL is the sniper.  In ASL a sniper is very random in when and *where* it attacks and attacks from.  It has a counter but is in no way like a normal SMC piece.  It appears that in BoH that a sniper is treated quite differently and from what I'm seeing in this AAR, he's doing quite a number on the advancing Ami's!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Regarding the Sniper...in BoH he is placed at any time in the scenario - but once placed he cannot move. So you have to be careful where to set him up to perform well.

Also - he cannot enter melee - so if an enemy unit enters his hex and he is the only unit in the hex, he is removed from the board.

^at least I think those are the rules - I'm at work at the moment

So I don't know how it plays out in ASL having never played it, but he is quite vulnerable...and once placed, he can almost always be avoided...though in this scenario I'm hoping to take him out.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

A Sniper in ASL has activation numbers (as determined by the scenario).  An area that has lots of sniper activity will have a SAN (Sniper Activation Number) that is more likely to be rolled.  Say a "4" as opposed to a "2".  Basically, if you roll your SAN during your turn (movement or combat), there is a chance that the sniper will pop up and randomly select a target (there's some criteria).  Where the sniper pops up is based off of where the sniper counter is currently located (a roll for direction and distance) and whom he selects will be the nearest target with a random selection from within.  A sniper is basically displaced if you enter the hex (IIRC) and the only counter-sniper attack is done by a hex that was targeted by the Sniper (a roll of 3 "pins" the Sniper, a "2" eliminates it).  Given the differences though, I think that it could be represented in a BoH to ASL conversion.  And note, I'm not saying ASL is "better", I'm just curious to see how the outcomes may differ with the two gaming systems - if they are close to the same or radically different.  Is BoH "tougher" to achieve the victory condition or easier?  It could be interesting to see.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on April 18, 2013, 07:01:48 AM
A Sniper in ASL has activation numbers (as determined by the scenario).  An area that has lots of sniper activity will have a SAN (Sniper Activation Number) that is more likely to be rolled.  Say a "4" as opposed to a "2".  Basically, if you roll your SAN during your turn (movement or combat), there is a chance that the sniper will pop up and randomly select a target (there's some criteria).  Where the sniper pops up is based off of where the sniper counter is currently located (a roll for direction and distance) and whom he selects will be the nearest target with a random selection from within.  A sniper is basically displaced if you enter the hex (IIRC) and the only counter-sniper attack is done by a hex that was targeted by the Sniper (a roll of 3 "pins" the Sniper, a "2" eliminates it).  Given the differences though, I think that it could be represented in a BoH to ASL conversion.  And note, I'm not saying ASL is "better", I'm just curious to see how the outcomes may differ with the two gaming systems - if they are close to the same or radically different.  Is BoH "tougher" to achieve the victory condition or easier?  It could be interesting to see.

I agree it would be interesting to see. I can send you a scan of the scenario if you would like to try it with ASL. I can get you the board as well if you need it.

GJK

That would be great BH - I can give it a whirl over the weekend and do a side by side AAR here.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Thinking about it - I could make an image of the BoH a board that could be opened in VASL so I wouldn't have to print it out.   8)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

OK I'll scan it tonight when I get home.

GJK

Is there a VASSAL module for the game already?  If so, I can just pull the board image out of it.  I doubt that it would have the scenario card image though so would need a scan of it. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on April 18, 2013, 10:03:42 AM
Is there a VASSAL module for the game already?  If so, I can just pull the board image out of it.  I doubt that it would have the scenario card image though so would need a scan of it.

Use this 1.51 module:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Lock_%27n_Load:_World_Championship

for the map. I'll have to send you the scenario card.

JudgeDredd

Turn 2 Start
Initiative
AXIS roll = 5
US roll = 5
AXIS have the initiative because it's a draw roll and they had the initiative the previous turn

Rally Phase
The AXIS have no units to rally and no weapons to deploy/pack up
The US attempts to rally MJ Tom
Rally roll (2d6) = 2 - rally is effective and MJ Tom is no longer shaken

The US have no weapons to deploy/pack up

Operations Phase
Impulse 1 - AXIS
AXIS deploy 1xMG34 and 1x2-3-4 Squad (I6)
*remember placing AXIS reinforcements does not count as it's impulse
AXIS Sniper (J8) attacks MJ Tom+1x2-5-4 Squad (E7)
Roll of 2 sees MJ Tom targeted again
AXIS attack roll = 8
US defence roll = 5
Attack is good and Difference is 3

US announce using 2 FATE POINTS
Damage Check roll = 5+3-2=6=SHAKEN
MJ Tom is shaken (again!)
AXIS Sniper is marked as Fired

Impulse 2 - US
US move MJ Tom to D8 for 2MPs

Impulse 3 - AXIS
AXIS deploy 1x2-3-4 Squad with the AXIS Sniper (J8)
AXIS PASS

Impulse 4 - US
US 2-5-4 Squad (E7) moves to F7 and G6 for 4MPs
AXIS OP FIRE
AXIS 1x2-3-4 Squad+1xMG34 (I6) opens fire on US 2-5-4 Squad moving into G6
AXIS attack roll = 3+2(IFP)+2(MG)+1(moving)=8
US defence roll = 4+3(TEM)=7
Attack succeeds with a difference of 1
Damage Check roll = 5+1=6
No damage and AXIS unit marked as Fired
**because the US unit expended 2 MPs to move into the hex, the other AXIS squad in J8 could have OP-Fired also - but they didn't.

Impulse 5 - AXIS
AXIS deploy 1x3-3-4 Squad in hex I2
PASS

Impulse 6 - US
US 1x2-5-4 Squad+1xBAR moves to F3 for 2MPs

Impulse 7 - AXIS
Lt Freitag is deployed (J8)
PASS

Impulse 8 - US
1x2-5-4 Squad (D6) moves to E6, F6 for 2MPs
AXIS OP FIRE
AXIS 1xMG42+Cpt Weiss (I3) opens fire on US 2-5-4 Squad moving into F6
AXIS attack roll = 5+1(Leader)+1(moving)=7
US defence roll = 2
Attack succeeds with a difference of 5
US use 2 FATE POINTS
Damage Check roll = 1+5-2=4
No damage and AXIS unit marked as Fired

Because a 1 was rolled, a hero may be rolled for...a roll of 6 sees a hero deployed (even number) with the US unit with the card SPEEDY

The US unit continues it's movement to G6 for a total of 4MPs

Impulse 9 - AXIS
PASS

Impulse 10 - US
SGT Hill+3x2-5-4 deploy to A7 and move (DT) to B7,C6,D7,E7,F7 for 6MPs

Impulse 11 - AXIS
PASS

Impulse 12 - US
1x1-4-4 Squad+1xM1919A4 deploy to A4 and move to B4,C4 and C5 for 4MPs

Impulse 13 - AXIS
PASS

Impulse 14 - US
PASS

Impulse 9 - AXIS
PASS

All Moved and Fired counters are removed.
This is the situation at the end of Turn 2

Turn 2 End
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Looking good JD. Getting the hero will help the US a lot.

1 question: in impulse 8 the Germans op fire and you state
QuoteAXIS 1xMG42+Cpt Weiss (I3) opens fire on US 2-5-4 Squad moving into F6
AXIS attack roll = 5+1(Leader)+1(moving)=7

Just to be clear Cpt Weiss was not actually fire the MG the squad in that hex was right?
Also it seems you left out the FP of the MG in the attack calc.... should have been 3(roll) + 3(MG) + 1(leader) + 1(moving) = 10.

Another thing to remember is that stacking regular units with a sniper will negate the sniper getting double TEM if fired at. It does protect him from melee though.

JudgeDredd

Thank you. I'm really enjoying this one.

Yes it was the squad firing the MG - I didn't specify the squad because they're range wasn't sufficient to attack. I thought if I mentioned them, someone might think I was including them in the attack. As it is - I see why that is just as confusing.

Thanks for pointing out I missed the MG42 FP - can't believe it - DOH! There's no point in changing that now as that would upset the mechanics (I wouldn't be able to have moved the squad were I did etc, etc

I had actually forgotten about the double TEM - so thanks for that. Even knowing that though, I would've put a squad with the Sniper anyway - kind of "cheating" because I "knew" the US were going to try and melee...sometimes playing solitaire doesn't quite work out as fair :-)

Quick question...
The rules mention "degrading" LoS...like the flower hex and light woods...it also mentions silhouettes...I presume that means the shadows cast by the buildings? So if LoS goes through that shadow, it's a degrading LoS?
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

The shadows don't cause degrading. By "silhouettes" we play it means actual art work.

So if you look at the hex I5, which is light woods. If you could trace a LoS that passed between the tree art your shot would not be degraded. It would be degraded it if touched any of those trees.

For the flower bed in G4, if the LoS dosen't touch the flowers it's not degraded.

JudgeDredd

Ah - thanks.

As for the flower beds - if I'm in a building, I'm at level 1, so flower beds (which I believe are level 0?)  wouldn't affect LoS? Or is me not having the TEM sheet in front of me showing in that statement?
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

None of the building in this scenario are above ground level... so everything is in the way. :)