Going Coastal - a Heroes of the Blitzkrieg: In Defeat Defiance DAR

Started by Barthheart, June 25, 2013, 05:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

I've chosen to do this DAR using a scenario from the Heroes of the Blitzkrieg expansion In Defeat Defiance.

The scenario is called Going Coastal. Here's the description:

QuoteEast of Calais, France: May 24th, 1940
The Allies had collapsed into a defensive pocket around the Channel ports. In order for 350,000 rations for the BEF to be brought from Calais to Dunkirk, the road between the two cities had to be reconnoitered and secured. An initial squadron of tanks fought their way to Dunkirk but no news of this made it back to Calais, and thus a second squadron was sent, this time with infantry support from the 1st Rifle Brigade. They found the road blocked by elements of the 1st Panzer Division covering the rear flank of the German attack on Gravelines, on the outskirts of Dunkirk.

The scenario is only 6 turns long and the British need to clear the east-west road, and 2 hexes to either side, of good order Germans. The Germans start setup and the British enter on turn one from the west.

To accomplish this mission the British get 5 squads, 3 half-squads, 2 leaders, and a couple of Bren LMG's  from the 1st Battalion, 1st Rifle Brigade. They also get 2 Cruiser A10's, a Vickers LT, and 3 Bren Carriers, one with a mounted Boys ATR, from the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment.

I've never played this scenario so it will be a figure it out as we go kinda deal. It looks like a tough one for the Brits. The Germans are able to setup and cover the map well.

This is the map and the German setup.

TheCommandTent

Wow it looks like you'll have your work cut out for you.  I am  looking forward to following this.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JudgeDredd

Nice one...OFT being used :-)

This will help me be able to get into other aspects of the game as the last one was infantry only (and I choose it for that)
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Should be interesting.  It looks like you'll be attacking a "fortified" defensive position with much less than a 2:1 ratio (more like 1:1).  Is that a stone building that they are in?  Even if not, it's going to be a tough one, especially with only 6 turns and you have to clear out the entire center of the board basically.  I wouldn't want to be the British here!  Can't wait to see how you play it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

W8taminute

Looks like I will follow this story as well.  Forgive my ignorance but what is DAR?  During Action Report?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on June 26, 2013, 08:31:02 AM
Looks like I will follow this story as well.  Forgive my ignorance but what is DAR?  During Action Report?

Yeah, During Action report. I plan to ask the peanut gallery for some help on what I should do during the play.

W8taminute

Thanks for the clarification.  As a member of the peanut gallery I'll be eating popcorn and looking for opportunities to comment on the mission.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GJK

Quote from: Barthheart on June 26, 2013, 08:33:45 AM

Yeah, During Action report. I plan to ask the peanut gallery for some help on what I should do during the play.
Call in for some reinforcements!!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on June 26, 2013, 09:49:11 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 26, 2013, 08:33:45 AM

Call in for some reinforcements!!

;D Yeah.... I think they're all trying to get off the beach!  :P

Barthheart

Oh Jeeze.... Brant's been posting about this all over Facebook... better make sure I know my rules and don't look too stupid out there....  :P

GJK

So what's the plan for getting the British safely on board?  B7 to C7 and then up to the treeline is one obvious choice.  The left flank could set up first in the treeline and provide some covering fire that hopefully supresses the German armor.  I think that going "up the gut" down the middle of the map would be pure suicide.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Barthheart - that board doesn't seem to have a fold in it...did he stop with the folding play boards?

I wish he'd make the hex numbering more prominent. I find it quite difficult to read.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

So far I've thought of breaking the force into 4 parts:
1 platoon (leader and 3 squads) move like you suggested, through the building and try to work their way up to the trees in H7
2 platoon (leader and 2 squads) move up the north face through those trees to F1.
3 half squads mounted in the 3 Bren Carriers will try to make it to the trees in F4, F6, G5. They'll also act as tank bait.... unfortunately for them...  :P
The 3 tanks, well 2 tanks and a armoured MG platform, will have to try and keep to what cover they can until they can get good shots off.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2013, 11:02:43 AM
Barthheart - that board doesn't seem to have a fold in it...did he stop with the folding play boards?

I wish he'd make the hex numbering more prominent. I find it quite difficult to read.

I'm using a colour printer enlarged version of the board, it's just a sheet of 11x17 paper. I like to play on large hexes.  8)

GJK

Looks like you can safely take out the squad+leader in K5 by sneaking in between the F4, F6, G5 trees. 

Are LnL scenario's usually on small maps like this (half a board)?  It just bugs me to when you can't even get on the map without taking fire with little or no room for manuevering.  JD's was small like that too IIRC.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer