Going Coastal - a Heroes of the Blitzkrieg: In Defeat Defiance DAR

Started by Barthheart, June 25, 2013, 05:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Nah... about 20% are single maps. Most are 2 mappers. And that's a full board for LnL. Mark W. likes scenarios that get you into the action quickly.

Barthheart

Oh and the leader in K4 is a tank leader! He's sitting atop his Pz IVD waitin fer a target.

GJK

Quote from: Barthheart on June 26, 2013, 11:47:23 AM
Oh and the leader in K4 is a tank leader! He's sitting atop his Pz IVD waitin fer a target.

Well that changes things then!  I'd take the Germans in this scenario any day - that is rough!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

I agree. It should make for a good solo scenario though as the Germans can pretty much sit tight and take shots as required.

Barthheart

Ok let's get this rumble started.
Turn 1

Rally Phase
The British start with the initiative so no roll is needed.
No rally rolls or equipment changes for either side.

Operations Phase
Impulse 1
Major Hawkins starts the scenario with this very handy special skill. Should allow him and his platoon to live a bit longer than normal.

Normally it's not a good idea to bunch up your infantry but to get everyone on the board in a timely manner sometimes it's necessary. Here we see Hawkins et al run for some cover in a wheat field along the south edge of the map.

The Germans could Opportunity Fire (Op Fire) but only with Cpt. Wolf and his Pz IVD. He's waiting for a larger crunchier target so no Op Fire.

Impulse 2
Germans pass. They have all the time in the world to pick and choose their targets.

Impulse 3
Lt. Copley takes another partial platoon along the north edge of the map to hide behind some trees.

Again no Op Fire.

Impulse 4
Germans pass.

Impulse 5
A Bren Carrier with a 1/2 squad inside tries to move up the central road and into the light woods in F4, but is Op Fired on by the Pz IIIE in K2.

Just an aside to show everyone what all the numbers mean on the vehicle counters. The To Hit tables are on the back side of the AFV's.

So the range to target is 6 hexes, which means we must use the middle column to resolve the fire.
The To Hit number is 6 or less on 2D6 at this range. This is modified by the following from the Ordnance Fire Table (OFT):
-1 because the firing tank is presently open topped. (Vehicle are open by default in LnL and only marked when buttoned).
+1 because the target is a moving vehicle
+1 because the shot passes through 1 degrading hex and touches part of the art in that hex (F4)
+1 because the target is a small vehicle (this is an optional rule that I like to use)
So the German needs a 6 or less on 2D6 +2, so a 4 or less on 2D6.
He rolls an 11+2 = 13 and a miss.
Since the Bren is an open topped vehicle, he can now he fires his bow MG using the Direct Fire Table (DFT) to try and affect the crew and the passengers. This is the dangers of being open topped.
He gets 1D6 + 4 (MG FP) -1 (moving vehicle target) -1 (degrading hex), so 1D6 +2.
Roll is 3+2 = 5.
Defenders gets to roll 1D6 + 0 (smallest armour factor on vehicle).
Roll is 2. This means the Bren and 1/2 squad must each make a Damage Check (DC) of 1D6+3 verses their morale rating.
The Bren rolls a 4+3 = 7 and falls the check and so become shaken. That stops any further movement.
The 1/2 squad rolls a 2+3 = 5 and passes.
The PzIIIE gets marked with a fired marker and also gets an acquiring marker on the Bren. This will make its next shot easier to hit as long as neither he nor the Bren move before that shot happens.

Impulse 6
Germans pass.

Impulse 7
Another Bren and 1/2 squad move to the woods in G7. Cpt. Wolf again holds his fire.

Impulse 8
Germans pass.

Impulse 9
This Bren Carrier has had its bow MG replaced with a Boys ATR and makes it a little bit more dangerous.
It moves to F6 to try and threaten the German vehicles. The Pz IIC doesn't like that and Op Fires.

The PzIIC To Hit table looks like this. Also note that on the front of the counter there is a "3X" next to the HE equivalent. This means that it's main armament gets to fire 3 times in one attack.

Range is 7 so To Hit is 5 or less on 2D6 modified by:
-1 open topped firer
+1 moving vehicle target
+1 target in Light Woods terrain
+1 small target
So that means 3 or less on 2D6, tough shot but he gets 3 tries!
1st shot rolls snake eyes! That's an automatic hit.
Now we check the penetration value of the shot. last number in the To Hit column. It's a 1. So his penetration rolls is 1D6 +1. He rolls a 2+1 =3. This is now compared to a defence roll for armour. The Bren has a front armour rating of 1 so he gets 1D6+1 and rolls 3+1 = 4. No penetration. Spang!
A no penetration hit results in a morale check for the Bren. This is modified by the difference between the penetration roll and the armour roll, in this case 1. So the Bren rolls 2D6 -1 and gets 7-1 = 6 and passes. No effect from the shot.... the crew have balls of steel!
2nd shot 7+2 = 9 and miss.
3rd shot 8+2 = 10 and miss.
Now he tries to machine guns the bastards. 1D6+2(FP)-1( moving target), rolls 3+1 = 4
Defence rolls 1D6 +1(light woods), gets 6+1 = 7 no effect.
PzIIC gets an acquisition marker on the Bren.

Impulse 10
Germans pass.

Impulse 11
First British tank, if you can call it that, buttons up and moved to E7. This is a Vickers LT, basically a very light tank with a heavy machine gun. It can still penetrate light armour so maybe not completely useless.

Impulse 12
Germans pass.

Impulse 13
British Cruiser A10 buttons up and assault moves to C4. Assault Move (AM) allows a unit to move and fire in the same impulse but take half of the units MPs. A10 only have 6 MP's but the Brit want a chance at a shot. Cpt. Wolf springs to action and fires at the A10 before the A10 can fire!

Here's a comparison of the 2 tanks. Pretty evenly matched with the A10 slightly better. Notice that the A10's HE equivalent value is an asterisk.  This means that it can only shot AP shells and has no HE. Silly Brits!

Range is 8. To Hit is 5 or less on 2D6 -1 open topped, -1 for leadership value, +1 moving target, +1 degrading hex - Bren in E4. So 2D6 even. Rolls a 5! Hit! Roll is odd so shot hit the hull.
Penetration value is 1D6 + 2. Rolls 6+2 = 8. Best possible shot.
Armour value is 1D6 + 4(front hull armour). Rolls 5+4 = 9. Spang!
A10 makes morale check for non-penetrating hit. Rolls 2D6 - 1 and gets 4-1 = 3 no effect.

Return fire! To Hit is 6 or less on 2D6 +2 for AM, +1 degrading hex E4. So 2D6 +3. Rolls 9+3 = 12. Miss.
Fires MG at Cpt. Wolf. 1D6 +4(FP) -2(AM) -1(degrading hex E4). Rolls 5+1 = 6.
Cpt. Wolf defends with 1D6 + 1(smallest armour factor). Rolls 3+1 = 4. Damage Check +2.
Wolf rolls 1D6+2, 3+2 = 5 much less than his morale of 8, no effect. The Cpt. is made of stronger stuff than that!
Each vehicle has acquired the other.

Impulse 14
Germans pass.

Impulse 15
Cpt. Pender buttons his A10 and enters the fray at full throttle and moves to E2. PzIIIE in K1 fires!

Range is 6. To Hit is 6 or less on 2D6 -1 open topped, +1 moving target, +1 degrading hex J2.
Rolls 8+1 = 9 misses. Can't use MG because A10 is buttoned up.

Impulse 16
Germans pass.
Impulse 17
Brits pass.
Impulse 18
Germans pass. 3 passes in a row ends the operation phase.

Admin Phase
Remove all the admin markers. This is the situation at the end of turn 1.

Brits got everyone on the board with only 1 shaken Bren Carrier. I call that a successful turn.
Whomever gets the initiative next turn will get first shot! Going to be a big roll!

bayonetbrant

very interesting.  and why didn't you offer to do this for our front page?! ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2013, 08:22:32 AM
very interesting.  and why didn't you offer to do this for our front page?! ;)

Dunno... you can use there if you want. It took me about 10 minutes to play the turn but about 6 hours for pics and write up. Not sure I could keep that up and meet some kind of print deadline.

If you want to move this to the front page with no pressure of when the next installment might happen then sure lets do it.   8)
I have the write up in a word document if that helps.

Might be hard though if I want to make this interactive......

bayonetbrant

I'm just giving you crap - it's a very well-done ADAR that nicely explains the LnL rules to people as its running.

Personally, I vote for massing fire on one of the German panzers while moving the infantry forward.  Somewhere you're going to need to create a localized overmatch to punch through the Germans, but that's going to be very hard with multiple tanks straddling the road.  You gotta get at least one of them out of commission.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

This is an awesome DAR but I have no idea how you are going to pull this off especially if the Brits lose the initiative roll.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JudgeDredd

Hey Barthheart - nice read so far and nice touch with the graphics.

Can I clarify a couple of things from Impulse 5

First, the OFT - you say the range is 6 so you have to use the middle column...I presume that's because (looking at the OFT range band) 1-5 would use the first column, 6-9 would use the second and 10-18 would use the third? (I'm just checking because the range was 6 and there IS actually a 6 on there it confused me somewhat).

And also -
-1 because the firing tank is presently open topped. (Vehicle are open by default in LnL and only marked when buttoned).
+1 because the target is a moving vehicle
+1 because the shot passes through 1 degrading hex and touches part of the art in that hex (F4)
+1 because the target is a small vehicle (this is an optional rule that I like to use)
So the German needs a 6 or less on 2D6 +2, so a 4 or less on 2D6.
He rolls an 11+2 = 13 and a miss.
Should one of those +1's be a -1? Just that the +2 doesn't add up with those modifiers.

forget the strike through text - I think I've got it!

Of course I have no idea of tank warfare or the OFT in this game - so I reading with interest.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

removed the bit I had written here because I saw MY error!

For clarification - the modifiers are on THE DICE ROLL - NOT the To Hit value. I'm more really saying that for my benefit and anyone else who's confused because they did take me some getting used to. Initially I always thought I had to apply the modifiers to the To Hit value which makes the modifiers non-sensicle!

So modifiers are on the DICE rolls - not the To Hit value!
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 02, 2013, 01:34:15 AM
Hey Barthheart - nice read so far and nice touch with the graphics.

Thanks.

Can I clarify a couple of things from Impulse 5

First, the OFT - you say the range is 6 so you have to use the middle column...I presume that's because (looking at the OFT range band) 1-5 would use the first column, 6-9 would use the second and 10-18 would use the third? (I'm just checking because the range was 6 and there IS actually a 6 on there it confused me somewhat).

Yes. You look at the first row on the To Hit table and find the column that has a value that is greater than or equal to your range to target. The three numbers in this case are 5,9,18. Since range of 6 is greater than 5 you need to use the next column.

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2013, 08:34:07 AM
I'm just giving you crap - it's a very well-done ADAR that nicely explains the LnL rules to people as its running.

Personally, I vote for massing fire on one of the German panzers while moving the infantry forward.  Somewhere you're going to need to create a localized overmatch to punch through the Germans, but that's going to be very hard with multiple tanks straddling the road.  You gotta get at least one of them out of commission.

Yes... I'm now thinking that I should have moved my tanks in a bunch on one side to overload it and make the Germans come to me. As it is now they can just sit and shoot.
Also need to keep the infantry's heads down because they are the only ones that can dig the German infantry out of the building.

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 01, 2013, 07:50:59 PM
This is an awesome DAR but I have no idea how you are going to pull this off especially if the Brits lose the initiative roll.

If the British lose the roll I expect them to lose a tank.... just which one.....

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 02, 2013, 01:51:16 AM
removed the bit I had written here because I saw MY error!

For clarification - the modifiers are on THE DICE ROLL - NOT the To Hit value. I'm more really saying that for my benefit and anyone else who's confused because they did take me some getting used to. Initially I always thought I had to apply the modifiers to the To Hit value which makes the modifiers non-sensicle!

So modifiers are on the DICE rolls - not the To Hit value!

Yeah, sorry, the way I wrote that might be confusing. The modifiers are to the dice roll. I always just condense that down into a new To Hit number. A To Hit of 6 or less with a dice roll of 2D6+2, automatically means to me that I need to roll a 4 or less.