Main Menu

Blood Bowl!

Started by GJK, July 06, 2013, 04:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Ok, in the Zen7.1 LRB6.0.xls Excel spreadsheet the 'Position' cells/drop-down menus are limited to Amazons and certain Star Players. It doesn't look like it's generic or able to allow a team other than Amazons to be built. What am I doing wrong?

Sigh, nevermind. Found the drop-down I needed to change.  :-[

GJK

You don't *have* to use the spreadsheet; you could just use the OBBLM (league manager software on the vabbl.org site).  Actually, it will need to go in to vabbl.org but I found it easier to plug it in to excel first to play around with the cash to see what I could get.  Then once I figured out my purchases, I replicated them on the webpage.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JasonPratt

Quote from: GJK on September 11, 2014, 08:12:57 AM
Did Java install ok Jason?  I'll search the vassal forum to see if anybody else has had similar issues with Mac OS 10.4.

Super-busy day at the office; will try today.

Of course, I could install VASSAL at the house on my massive gaming computer... ::) :coolsmiley:

But for purposes of moving things along quickly, it will definitely be better if I can set it up here at the office (and also at the house if/once I do that, of course).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

I probably won't have a chance to install VASSAL and upload my team's info until early next week, GJK.

I did, however, finally settle on a team: an undead one. An undead one comprised of all dead writers.

For example:

Heinlein the Hammer (Mummy)
Sick Orwell (Wight)
"Soulsucker" Sophocles (Ghoul)
Poe Choice (Zombie)

...are but a few of the pun-fest that will be my undead team!

I just need to come up with a catchy name reflecting my weirdness, here.

GJK

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 12, 2014, 09:16:47 AM
I probably won't have a chance to install VASSAL and upload my team's info until early next week, GJK.

I did, however, finally settle on a team: an undead one. An undead one comprised of all dead writers.

For example:

Heinlein the Hammer (Mummy)
Sick Orwell (Wight)
"Soulsucker" Sophocles (Ghoul)
Poe Choice (Zombie)

...are but a few of the pun-fest that will be my undead team!

I just need to come up with a catchy name reflecting my weirdness, here.

No problem B_C, we're still trying to secure that 8th/9th coach's spot.  My brother still has to submit his team as well.

On the vabbl.org forums, I posted a quick primer on how to submit a team to the OBBLM software that the league is using - hope this helps:  http://vabbl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55&sid=699c39b10d64e6b9d3e04db4ec0b64fc
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Guys, our wiki, forum and league management software is all up and running....we're getting pretty serious about this thing!  If you're wanting to get in the league for this season or just want to follow the action, stop on by!  www.vabbl.org
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

undercovergeek

Quote from: GJK on September 12, 2014, 03:05:37 PM
Guys, our wiki, forum and league management software is all up and running....we're getting pretty serious about this thing!  If you're wanting to get in the league for this season or just want to follow the action, stop on by!  www.vabbl.org

cool, it seems theres a few hoops to jump through here (in a good way)

is there a do this here, then do this here, and then go there and do that guide so that we know were all on the same page

GJK

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 12, 2014, 04:27:52 PM
Quote from: GJK on September 12, 2014, 03:05:37 PM

cool, it seems theres a few hoops to jump through here (in a good way)

is there a do this here, then do this here, and then go there and do that guide so that we know were all on the same page

Good question.  I'll add something to the VABBL wiki as well but basically: 1) make sure that you have Java and VASSAL installed and working, 2) grab the latest build of the Blood Bowl VASSAL module and become familiar with it (I suggest playing through some logs of mine and outcasts' game which are in a folder within the dropbox folder, and 3) create your team and plug in the info on the website.  And that's where we are right now.

outcast has a rough set of league rules that I've looked over and they look great to me.  One question is how to handle botched rules.  If you're playing back your opponents log and you see that he forgets to do *something* that should of been done (mandatory), what do you do?  One suggestion is that the non-offending coach can request that the offending coach replay the turn.  Another, and this happened in another pbem game of mine, is that the offending coach can create a new log which includes the previous log (that has the error in it) so that the error is corrected in the combined log.

For example.  I forgot to use the skill "Frenzy".  It's mandatory that my lunatic blitzer follows up a block (if possible) and then blocks the same guy twice (if he didn't knock him down the first time).  I forgot to do that.  My problem however was that had I followed the rules, I would of moved in to a square that would of then given the other guy an assist and my follow up block would of been a "2 against" roll.  So, I opened up my previous log, and then started to record a new log WHILE I was doing the playback of the previous log.  When it came to that particular block that I didn't follow up on, I interjected with a comment and then moved the piece (followed up) and then did the follow up block and sure enough, I rolled an Attacker and Defender down.  I picked the obvious choice for him (Attacker down) and so my guy went crashing to the turf and was injured (luckily only stunned).  I then did the playback for the remainder of the initial log (none of my other moves were affected by this lack of "Frenzy"...the only reason why this was able to work this way) and I then sent him the corrected log.

Ok, that was long winded and belongs on the vabbl wiki but hopefully that gives someone that might be on the fence about whether or not to coach an idea of what we're doing and how it works.  The takeaway is; we aren't going to get in somebody's grill (as in being on a Blood Bowl pitch!) if you bonehead the rules a bit.  This is a laid back league...unlike what I found on FUMBBL and some other online leagues where the coach's have literally 1000's of plays and are trying to pad their teams stats.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Another thing that you guys might want to consider doing while we wait to get things rolling is schedule some scrimmages with one another.  Either meet live on the VASSAL module or set up a pbem game (or two).  That would be actually be the best thing to do right now if possible.  That accomplishes several things at once; tests your vassal, gets you familiar with the module and also helps you to brush up on the rules for the game (in case you've been letting the computer do it for you  ;) ).  I have two pbem's going on at the moment but could squeeze in a third if somebody wants to give it a shot.  Otherwise, try and set something up amongst yourselves....oh, my brother (who is in the league) doesn't have any pbem's going right now...his Wood Elf team really needs some scrimmage time.  Contact him via the vabbl.org site and set up a game!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer