Assault on the Bin Laden Compound

Started by GJK, September 29, 2013, 09:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Ok gents; a mini-AAR.  Not up to nevermore's standards but fun to make and play nonetheless.

Just learning how to play Force on Force, so we set up a little skirmish.  As we were setting it up, we decided to put some semi-historical background on it.  So, what we have is a recreation of the raid on the Bin Laden Compound except it's during the day and the bad guys have an ambush ready to be sprung.  Oh, and they have men with guns on the roofs.  And who knows what else inside.  And there were no helo's; special forces teleported to the precise location.  Ok, ok.  Here's the action:

After beaming down from the Enterprise, our 4 special forces teams are at the line of debarkation:

Opening moves.  A cautious advance towards the objective:

Easy enough to secure some small shops that are just outside the compound.  All secured at this point:

We now have "eyes" on the compound.  Oh snap, I think they were waiting for us!

Sure enough - the baddies open up as the SEAL teams approach:

Taking fire and some light casualties.  Nothing serious as of yet however:

We have some of the shops secured and can now set up some overwatch:

Moving in on the eastern side of the compound.  I should of thrown some smoke on hindsight:

Closing in - baddies are opening up but our overwatch is proving effective:

Baddies on the southern wall have taken a number of casualties and have retreated to with inside the compound (not shown):

And that's as far as we got today.  I have forces along the southern wall and we are ready to place charges and open that gate.  No telling what hell will be unleashed though once we go charging in.  MUST use smoke this time!

More later as we play it out.  Overall, it's gone really fast and we're getting comfortable with the rules.  The Action-Reaction system is the most confusing part of this game system but I worked up a chart (with some house-ruling) to handle it more smoothly and thus far it's worked out nicely.  I'll be anxious to get some vehicles on the table for the next game.

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Very cool.  Looks like y'all had some good fun

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Fun stuff. Can't wait to read what you think of the rules.

The cork board seems to have worked well.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GJK

Yeah, we did.  My son is liking this system which is great; especially given the amount of time that I put in to making the buildings and painting all those damn mini's!  lol 

The game system really shows the difference in training.  The SEAL Teams are using D10's and the irregulars D8's.  The rule of thumb is to roll 4+ to either accomplish tasks or score hits (with modifiers for terrain and special weapons).  So if I have a team of 5 firing with 5xD10 and I count only rolls of > 4 and he rolls defense dice with D8's trying to beat my dice...it's tough.  I'm going to get slaughtered going in to that compound though; I know that he has a couple of RPG's waiting in ambush there somewhere.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: LongBlade on September 29, 2013, 09:42:41 PM
Fun stuff. Can't wait to read what you think of the rules.

The cork board seems to have worked well.

I basically rewrote the first half of the Force on Force rulebook.  I have the hardbound copy of the rules but the organization is awful plus it's all loosly written paragraph style where I'm used to strict rules numbering.  So, I took out all of the explanations for why things were done they way that they were and kept only the hard written rules, organized them and gave it a numbering system for easier reference.  So far, so good.

Yes, the cork works great.  Very simple to assemble stuff and just a couple of coats of spray paint and they look good enough to me.  I wouldn't want to use only balsa wood for these things.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I wonder how the cork would hold up to being spray-painted by some of that 'rock-texture' kind of spray paint for walls and stuff?

this is a 6-pack for shipping to your house, but you can buy single cans in the stores
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-12-oz-Stone-Granite-Stone-Textured-Finish-Spray-Paints-6-Pack-238323/202057032#.UkjnXBbntgY

they have it in different colors, too
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 29, 2013, 09:57:49 PM
I wonder how the cork would hold up to being spray-painted by some of that 'rock-texture' kind of spray paint for walls and stuff?

this is a 6-pack for shipping to your house, but you can buy single cans in the stores
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-12-oz-Stone-Granite-Stone-Textured-Finish-Spray-Paints-6-Pack-238323/202057032#.UkjnXBbntgY

they have it in different colors, too

I have a couple of cans of that stuff.  I used it some parts of that Blood Bowl pitch that I made (scoreboard).  I'll have to try it out and see how it works.  I know that you have to let it dry for quite some time as it will remain runny for a good while. That and you don't get much out of those cans.  They're the same size as a regular spray paint can but since it's filled with all that extra goo, you get maybe 1/4 the spray that you'd get with normal spray paint so it could get a bit expensive if you have a lot of models to paint.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: Bison on September 29, 2013, 10:12:31 PM
That looks really good GJK.

Thanks buddy, we had a good time.  Oh, and was that you that was calling on Skype?  I had Skype on upstairs while we were downstairs so sorry that I missed your (or somebody's) calls.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

Home Depot may be cheaper than Floquill, which you can get at Micheals et al. Floquill doesn't run, but is a tad 'spensive.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

nevermore

PVA glue with bird sand will work well on cork even on 20mm 15mm size, very cheap as well .... is there a joke in that sentence ?

Staggerwing

Quote from: nevermore on September 30, 2013, 02:48:41 PM
PVA glue with bird sand will work well on cork even on 20mm 15mm size, very cheap as well .... is there a joke in that sentence ?

"Cheap-cheap" said the birdie?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys