Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on June 16, 2021, 03:49:56 PM
The hind is not that complex, a basic hotas like the t1600 would work or the saitek one.  I always recommend pedals for a helo, but start with a basic hotas first to see if you like it.  Even an xbox controller could work if you just want to test things out before committing money.

Relative to what? It looks extremely complex to me and from the videos put out by Wags, very difficult to fly.

No way I would recommend using a gamepad type controller for DCS. I mean, technically mouse and keyboard works too...but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to dip their feet in because I don't think it will really give an accurate representation of flight in this sim and could cause some unnecessary frustration. I'm all for saving money though, so try DCS World 2.7 for free or jump into the amazing free fly event they have running now!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Didn't know about DCS World 2.7...link is here for anyone else interested:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Gus, you have never struck me as DCS material.  Aren't you the guy that had trouble flying a biplane in Rise of Flight?   :-"
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on June 16, 2021, 08:42:01 PM
Gus, you have never struck me as DCS material.  Aren't you the guy that had trouble flying a biplane in Rise of Flight?   :-"

Flying an older warbird from the first two world wars is harder than flying a, lets say, DCS F/A 18. 

I could land an F/A 18 on a ground strip first try.  Forgiving aircraft. 

What's hard is learning all the avionics and interface.  Flying is easy.  I imagine Gus could do great in an F86.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

This is all true. When I was in my teens and 20s, I was able to play any sim. But the last 10-15 years it has been very difficult for me to learn any kind of sim. I am interested in DCS and have been for a long time, and with the Hind my interest has been piqued.

Toonces has me in his sights today for whatever reason :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Just as I suspected...

Still totally suck at flying helicopters. I do not know how people control these things like pros.  Colliding with the ground aside, what a cockpit the Hind has. It's extremely roomy. I feel like I would actually fit into it well. Such a mean and capable looking aircraft.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Did you kill anything with it yet?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 18, 2021, 10:22:51 AM
Did you kill anything with it yet?

Myself and my gunner, Petrovich.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I recommend doing rolling takeoffs like a stol fixed wing with a fully loaded hind.  Same with landing if your fully loaded.

Redwolf

More like tumbling takeoffs...

Jarhead0331

I had a relatively nice controlled flight yesterday in the Hind. I might be getting the hang of it. Who would have thought?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Too late for Petrovich...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2021, 07:35:58 AM
Too late for Petrovich...

Should have scored higher on whatever Soviet equivalent of the ASVAB there was.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Grim Reaper, a big YTuber for DCS demonstrations, has been messing with DCS world recently, pitting the Supercarrier group against various threats (mostly but not entirely AI driven).

This was a rematch from a broken loss the first time, trying to fix various things.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!