[Dominions 6] Grogspocalypse: The Return! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, January 18, 2024, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Muspelheim for me please

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: solops on January 19, 2024, 10:36:34 AMI cannot stand not being in, so I'm in! That being said, we need an underworld, as its bonuses help balance some of Agartha's shortcomings. So far, I am not doing well. After mini-maxing the scales, I find that I still need 800+ points for my pretender  :azn: So, I am in no great hurry to start.

My strategy will be heavily dependent on "This won't be a serious competitive game"  :grin:

Fortunately for us, buffs now allow troops to see in the dark better!

Will be interesting to see what you build.  Test casing EA Agartha more in Dom 5, I found that stacking attack buffs onto the sacreds using bless was the best bet for me; it not only let ancient ones actually hit things, but because they were large enough they would also have good odds to repel most things that could be repelled.  Now stat blesses are significantly weaker, so I'm not sure what I'd use.  Maybe still attack, lol.  Indy counts are higher and blesses more expensive though, so many bless based builds will have a harder time generally.

There's a few nations/tactics I want to try which might go down in flames quickly but would be fun.  I tested Mekone too and that's okay, but probably not what I want to go with for first Dom 6 MP.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tournament starts today, and in a couple weeks I will be on vacation, so if we start in the next few weeks I will probably be a bit slow on turns (though before vacation, I could still do a turn/day on average).  During vacation I will have laptop, but might need an extension here or there for that week.

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on January 19, 2024, 10:36:34 AMI cannot stand not being in, so I'm in! That being said, we need an underworld, as its bonuses help balance some of Agartha's shortcomings. So far, I am not doing well. After mini-maxing the scales, I find that I still need 800+ points for my pretender  :azn: So, I am in no great hurry to start.

My strategy will be heavily dependent on "This won't be a serious competitive game"  :grin:

We'll have caves. Maybe I'll switch to Xibalba and keep you company in the lonely darkness. ;)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on January 19, 2024, 02:07:16 PMFortunately for us, buffs now allow troops to see in the dark better!

Will be interesting to see what you build.  Test casing EA Agartha more in Dom 5, I found that stacking attack buffs onto the sacreds using bless was the best bet for me; it not only let ancient ones actually hit things, but because they were large enough they would also have good odds to repel most things that could be repelled.  Now stat blesses are significantly weaker, so I'm not sure what I'd use.  Maybe still attack, lol.  Indy counts are higher and blesses more expensive though, so many bless based builds will have a harder time generally.

There's a few nations/tactics I want to try which might go down in flames quickly but would be fun.  I tested Mekone too and that's okay, but probably not what I want to go with for first Dom 6 MP.

"many bless based builds will have a harder time generally".....Yeah. None of my builds are doing well. Agartha will never out-build anyone, so scales seems a poor option, the SC route does not seem promising and Rainbow does not leave much for bless-buffing troops at all. I have not come up with a good idea yet, but there is one thing I have not tried....maybe if I <redacted>.  Hmmmm.

Alternative is to hide in a dark cave and hope no one notices  :ThumbsUp:
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

I have not figured out how the cave generation works, re how much cave space is generated vs surface space.. Last test on a med map yielded one cave of nine areas. I think I used the "Random" choice for caves.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TheMeInTeam

I know how much you like olms, and I'm sure you noticed the change from ammo to fatigue for natural attacks like that ;).

solops

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on January 19, 2024, 09:42:50 PMI know how much you like olms, and I'm sure you noticed the change from ammo to fatigue for natural attacks like that ;).
Why do they, after a while of "shooting", charge to the front if they are tired? They got fatigued so they run up to engage in melee?
I have not figured this out.

al_infierno

I changed my mind.  Gonna play Xibalba.  Rus is now available to whomever.

We're gonna be cave buddies, Solops!   :Party:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Quote from: al_infierno on January 20, 2024, 03:11:19 AMI changed my mind.  Gonna play Xibalba.  Rus is now available to whomever.

We're gonna be cave buddies, Solops!   :Party:

Are you sure you're not just looking for an easy victim?

MOM!! Xibalba's waving his wings in my eye! I want my own room, errr, cave!

JasonPratt

Quote from: solops on January 20, 2024, 12:58:55 AM
Quote from: TheMeInTeam on January 19, 2024, 09:42:50 PMI know how much you like olms, and I'm sure you noticed the change from ammo to fatigue for natural attacks like that ;).
Why do they, after a while of "shooting", charge to the front if they are tired? They got fatigued so they run up to engage in melee?
I have not figured this out.

Is that "Ulm"? When I was playing them, I seem to recall they were big on javelins (similar to Roman armament and tactics) so on missile orders they'd hurl a few once in range and then when out of ammo close for melee.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

No, I was speaking of the olms of Agartha.

Tanaka

How about no water nations this time haha...

TheMeInTeam

Having water nations allowed vs not would inform my nation choice somewhat.  I don't want to pick one, but if there are going to be water nations I'd be more inclined towards nations that have UW capabilities (like solops' Agartha, Ur, or at least nations that can come up with UW capability more easily through items and summons).  Even w/o water nations, the presence of significant water can skew the game because some nations can get UW more easily than others (and build forts there w/o using late game magic).

Tanaka

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on January 20, 2024, 08:53:46 PMHaving water nations allowed vs not would inform my nation choice somewhat.  I don't want to pick one, but if there are going to be water nations I'd be more inclined towards nations that have UW capabilities (like solops' Agartha, Ur, or at least nations that can come up with UW capability more easily through items and summons).  Even w/o water nations, the presence of significant water can skew the game because some nations can get UW more easily than others (and build forts there w/o using late game magic).

Well you are the last player to pick and no one else has picked underwater so if you don't pick one there will be no underwater nations  :grin:

TheMeInTeam

I don't have anything good, so I will just roll with Mekone and be useless in late game lol.