[Dominions 6] Grogspocalypse: The Return! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, January 18, 2024, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Wow...just ran into Muspelheim in a test. What a powerhouse. I may have to play around with them in the future. Well, the more I test, the worse things get. I guess I'd better make up my mind on a build and send it in before my guys start stabbing themselves. Is everyone waiting on me?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tanaka

Quote from: solops on January 21, 2024, 02:19:04 PMWow...just ran into Muspelheim in a test. What a powerhouse. I may have to play around with them in the future. Well, the more I test, the worse things get. I guess I'd better make up my mind on a build and send it in before my guys start stabbing themselves. Is everyone waiting on me?

Sounds like we are all set to send in Pretenders yes!

Tanaka

Looks like we are waiting on Agartha and Ulm and we can start!

W8taminute

:coffee:  :hearts:

Gonna live vicariously through you guys!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tanaka

Also looks like there is an extra player slot? We have six players but seven slots?

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on January 21, 2024, 07:09:59 PMAlso looks like there is an extra player slot? We have six players but seven slots?

That was just the default number of slots.  I can add or remove any as needed before we start.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

I hope we can get another player!

What size map are we looking at? i,e, how many provinces/player?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on January 21, 2024, 08:20:45 PMI hope we can get another player!

I messaged a few others from the previous games like Ajidica and Boggit, but didn't hear back from them. I'm not in any rush to start the game, but I'm gonna assume this is the full player list unless anyone else speaks up.

Province count hasn't been officially discussed, but right now all the settings are on default except renaming and special event rarity. The default is 15 provinces per player.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on January 21, 2024, 10:03:12 PM
Quote from: solops on January 21, 2024, 08:20:45 PMI hope we can get another player!

I messaged a few others from the previous games like Ajidica and Boggit, but didn't hear back from them. I'm not in any rush to start the game, but I'm gonna assume this is the full player list unless anyone else speaks up.

Province count hasn't been officially discussed, but right now all the settings are on default except renaming and special event rarity. The default is 15 provinces per player.

Sounds good to me. Why change the events default though?

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on January 22, 2024, 12:17:02 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on January 21, 2024, 10:03:12 PM

Sounds good to me. Why change the events default though?

I changed the default setting from common to rare, but thinking on it now it might nerf the usefulness of Luck.  I'll probably just change that back and roll with all default settings except renaming enabled.

- MengJiao

solops

Maybe the next patch Illwinter promised soon will come before we start!

Yskonyn

Ulm is ready. I had been thinking about a pretender build long and hard, but it turns out MA and EA have enough nuance for the nation to make my plans void, hence the delay in uploading my design. :)

I've got a new plan, which will probably not survive first combat with any of you guys anyway, but that'll be no different from my plan A.

Looking forward to this!

A small disclaimer from my side; due to my irregular work schedules I might have to ask for an turn time extension here and there, but I'll try my best to keep things rolling.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

solops

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 22, 2024, 03:53:13 AMI've got a new plan, which will probably not survive first combat with any of you guys anyway, but that'll be no different from my plan A.

I have decided to go with Plan C.

No worries from me on potential delays.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 22, 2024, 03:53:13 AMUlm is ready. I had been thinking about a pretender build long and hard, but it turns out MA and EA have enough nuance for the nation to make my plans void, hence the delay in uploading my design. :)

I've got a new plan, which will probably not survive first combat with any of you guys anyway, but that'll be no different from my plan A.

Looking forward to this!

A small disclaimer from my side; due to my irregular work schedules I might have to ask for an turn time extension here and there, but I'll try my best to keep things rolling.

Some nations (like Pangaea) have differences between eras but are overall pretty similar.  Arguably the jump to LA for Pan is more significant though.  The troops don't look too different, but losing easy blood access and gaining one of the better astral mages you can get changes how they actually fight.

In Ulm's case, it's *vastly* different between eras.  Keeps forge bonus boost, but it goes from "hard hitting lightly armored stuff" in EA to "full plate troops with even worse magic path access" in MA to "astral + blood nation that has run-away potential with solid troops" in LA.

Agartha changes a bunch in practice between eras too. 

MA Ulm is commonly recommended for beginners, but I'm not sure I agree with that because their troops are really slow.  I guess the usual routine of "buff good troops with mages" works pretty well, but using their mages WELL is harder than a lot of other nations.