Tough Nut for the Luftwaffe: Portland Afternoon August 13, 1940

Started by MengJiao, July 09, 2022, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

After some battles where Ju 88s blasted some ships without much trouble, I put up some flak and barrage balloons in a vaguely historical version of the afternoon raids on Portland:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 09, 2022, 01:07:45 PM

After some battles where Ju 88s blasted some ships without much trouble, I put up some flak and barrage balloons in a vaguely historical version of the afternoon raids on Portland:

About 2 minutes into the battle and some squadrons have tallied some targets:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 09, 2022, 06:07:44 PM

Maybe I made this too rough on the Luftwaffe (though August 13 was a pretty bad day for the Luftwaffe) -- 4 minutes into the battle and the RAF has downed 2 bf109es and 3 Ju87s while not losing any planes.  The flak and balloons haven't done any damage and two ships have been hit and slightly damaged:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 13, 2022, 05:50:09 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 09, 2022, 06:07:44 PM

Maybe I made this too rough on the Luftwaffe (though August 13 was a pretty bad day for the Luftwaffe) -- 4 minutes into the battle and the RAF has downed 2 bf109es and 3 Ju87s while not losing any planes.  The flak and balloons haven't done any damage and two ships have been hit and slightly damaged:

A little later and the battle is swirling west -- loses are :  1 Spitfire, two ships damaged vs 5 Ju 87, 3 Bf109e and that's the story so far.  Except for the fact there are some good bomb hits, its a lot like August 13 after all:

(After 8 minutes, the raid is over and the Ju 88 squadron sank one ship and had no losses, while 5 bf109E and 5 Ju-87 went down vs the loss of one Spitfire and two other ships damaged).