Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I'm sure I had it and most likely tried it, but I have no recollection of it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 03, 2021, 06:00:23 AM
I'm sure I had it and most likely tried it, but I have no recollection of it.

There you go  ;): http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1737.msg36362#msg36362

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2012, 08:26:32 PM
Well, its out, and while I've only played through the two tutorials so far, I must say I'm not impressed.  So far, it feels like a poor man's Sins of a Solar Empire.  It definitely has tossed some nice ideas into the mix, but it definitely hasn't grabbed me yet.

...and really, there is no reason for it not to be z-dimensional.

Jarhead0331

I love having this place as a digital archive of my thoughts. LoL

Also sad to see the names of so many friends who are no longer here. Was just talking to toonces about that late last night.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

'A digital archive of JH's thoughts'

*shudder*

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I thought that was all, 'Classified'?  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 03, 2021, 07:12:50 AM
Also sad to see the names of so many friends who are no longer here. Was just talking to toonces about that late last night.
Indeed. Don't know why.

Anguille

Finally completed Conflict Desert Storm....last mission was tough.

al_infierno

Finally got my first win in a traditional roguelike, Tales of Maj'Eyal.  I beat the game (pun intended) with Punchmaster, a Dwarf Brawler specialized in Antimagic.  Turns out Brawler is the easiest class to win.  The final boss (a pair of evil sorcerers) was surprisingly a cakewalk, whereas the mid-point boss (a vampire lord surrounded by minions) whooped my butt sideways and made me struggle to survive.  Interestingly you have an NPC companion in the final fight, but apparently on Nightmare difficulty it's quite a battle.  On Normal it wasn't hard at all.  I also played on "Adventurer" mode, which is the standard difficulty where you get a few spare lives before you succumb to permadeath.  I died 4 times in the course of my journey, so hardcore roguelike purists would argue it's not a "true" win.  Personally I like the flexibility of having a few extra lives, and you can even disable lives completely just to play through the game.

Seems to be typical of roguelikes that the mid-game is the hardest part - at a certain point, your character becomes an absolute powerhouse that will only die to some instadeath bullshit (which ToME doesn't do) or a dumb mistake.  I got my ass kicked by the post-game boss, but he's meant to be ridiculously OP.

One thing I like about ToME is that you unlock more classes and races as you play the game.  I have a bunch of new stuff to try out after this run, including a Necromancer, a Temporal Warden (aka time police), Sun Paladin, Oozemancer, and some other really cool quirky-sounding classes.  Definitely worth trying out, it's quite newbie friendly with its WoW-style ability bar.

Punchmaster's character sheet: https://te4.org/characters/247838/tome/f8e355a3-f047-40d1-9f3d-463aa816de11

<:-)   :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Congrats on the Win al.  :clap: :clap: <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

So I managed a, 'Major Victory' in WitE's Road to Leningrad Scenario, my first completed scenario. We managed to drive the Russkies out of Leningrad on the next to last turn of the game for the win. The AI played very good defensively but was kind of passive on offense, only launching one attack on my exposed Panzers. Maybe next I'll kick the Difficulty Level up one notch. Here's the final turn lay-out. Great game!  O0

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 23, 2021, 11:46:38 AM
So I managed a, 'Major Victory' in WitE's Road to Leningrad Scenario, my first completed scenario. We managed to drive the Russkies out of Leningrad on the next to last turn of the game for the win. The AI played very good defensively but was kind of passive on offense, only launching one attack on my exposed Panzers. Maybe next I'll kick the Difficulty Level up one notch. Here's the final turn lay-out. Great game!  O0
:dreamer: :clap:

Rayfer

Well done Sir Slash....! 

Jarhead0331

Yeah...that's a major accomplishment. Well done.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

Thank you one and all. Now my Geriatric Brain needs a nap.