Main Menu

Master of Orion IV

Started by Anguille, February 18, 2016, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I see that Master of Orion IV will be available from GOG.com as well as from Steam.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tanaka

MOO is going to be only 100 systems so just no. StarDrive 2 Sector Zero Expansion is going to finally have up to 400 systems. I am looking much more forward to SD2 expansion than MOO!!!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqY9xG_6bZI

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on February 23, 2016, 03:44:51 PM
SD2???

Star Drive 2...

I don't bigger is necessarily better. Seems to me SD2 has other problems that should be addressed prior to making a bigger universe.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tanaka

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2016, 03:46:20 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on February 23, 2016, 03:44:51 PM
SD2???

Star Drive 2...

I don't bigger is necessarily better. Seems to me SD2 has other problems that should be addressed prior to making a bigger universe.

Such as? I am sure he is still working on fixing bugs and he has improved the AI in the expansion. I am also looking forward to the new sectors, sector constructions, and sector space battles. He is also improving ground combat. Lots to look forward to! I have no desire to be a free alpha - beta tester for the non-discounted bare bones MOO pre-release.

He explains a lot in this vid:

Freyland

Dear Zero/Zero's minion:

Please use your only two posts on this forum to spam your game in its own thread.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Freyland on February 23, 2016, 07:14:46 PM
Dear Zero/Zero's minion:

Please use your only two posts on this forum to spam your game in its own thread.

I'll admit...the thought crossed my mind, but that may be a bit harsh. Maybe he just likes the game? I mean, its not ALL that bad. It just needs some work and Zero has a habit of moving on to new things before finishing what he started.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tanaka

Dear Zero/Zero's minion:

Wow what a warm welcome I get for finally deciding to register to this forum. Big mistake I guess. You can find me on the Matrix games forum with 3000 posts. And yeah I like the game. I appreciate what this one guy has created and I really like his ideas for the expansion. Take whatever is shoved up your butt out and light a match. Or actually offer something constructive.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tanaka on February 23, 2016, 08:57:12 PM
Dear Zero/Zero's minion:

Wow what a warm welcome I get for finally deciding to register to this forum. Big mistake I guess. You can find me on the Matrix games forum with 3000 posts. And yeah I like the game. I appreciate what this one guy has created and I really like his ideas for the expansion. Take whatever is shoved up your butt out and light a match. Or actually offer something constructive.

OK OK...give him a pass on this one Tanaka. We're glad to have you here.

Tell us what you like about SD2 and some of the new features that you're looking forward to in the expansion. Any idea when the expansion is going to be released?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tanaka

OK OK...give him a pass on this one Tanaka. We're glad to have you here.

Tell us what you like about SD2 and some of the new features that you're looking forward to in the expansion. Any idea when the expansion is going to be released?

He said it would be out within a month. Could have been sooner but wanted to wait on the MOO unveiling and for that to cool down.

Like I said above I am looking forward to the new sectors, sector constructions, and sector space battles. He is also improving ground combat. But I am especially looking forward to the 400 system galaxy which blows MOO away.

Here are some tidbits from Zero:

"At its core, Sector Zero slices the galaxy up into hex tiles, and each hex tile can now have its own terrain type. Certain terrain types spawn together, like nebulas and stuff, so that we can have some actual interesting topography on the stellar map. A lot of mechanics have been re-tooled to take advantage of this new system.

The biggest change is to how you build structures in deep space. Using the Sectors system you can now build a station in most sectors to fortify it. You can then upgrade the station with a listening post, starbase, or maybe a mining station if it's appropriate for that sector, and more.

The AI has had a large refactoring to use this system and I think it's quite a bit smarter now. The Diplomacy AI will be less senselessly aggressive. The Sectors concept gives the AI something to focus upon while it expands, and it also helps the AI understand the disposition of player forces a bit better. We've also got a new pathfinding algoirthm in place that the AI uses to predict player movements with more intelligence.

I've also implemented a technology victory path that any player can potentially achieve. This will give the Good AI archetypes a path towards victory that doesn't require them to either kill you or wait to be killed by you. The story-based path to victory will involve mastering this new galaxy's specific threats.

With the new terrains there are new battlefields. We won't be seeing the same old space background now. If you get into a fight in a nebula, well now you'll actually fight in the nebula. Some of these terrain types provide bonuses or maluses to combat. This is a nice immersive touch for you.

There's lots of new stuff to find in this galaxy. New quests and events, some new minor races that are fleshed out more. We'll have some new techs for you to find and for you to research."

The biggest change is an increase in map size to galaxies FOUR TIMES the size of those in the base game. The DLC also adds in dozens of new cosmic phenomena to explore such as subspace anomalies and ancient wreckage. All waiting for the various competing races to unlock their secrets. These new areas are controlled by the news Sectors system. Which allows players and AI to claim newly discovered sectors on the map and exploit the resources contained there for their purposes.

Also being included is a massive expansion in general content to the base game. New quest lines and special events, technologies to research, and new racial traits to customize the alien races you play as and face are all being included.

Sparhawk

"They", "We","I". Tanaka I'm confused with your connection to StarDrive 2. I haven't looked to closely at the game, I saw to much negative from those whose opinions I respect. The Sector Zero expansion may make me take another look. Space 4x captures my imagination like no other genre.

Tanaka

Quote from: Sparhawk on February 23, 2016, 10:24:30 PM
"They", "We","I". Tanaka I'm confused with your connection to StarDrive 2. I haven't looked to closely at the game, I saw to much negative from those whose opinions I respect. The Sector Zero expansion may make me take another look. Space 4x captures my imagination like no other genre.

I have no connection. I copied those from his post.

Sparhawk

I see. I'll look forward to your impressions when Sector Zero is released.

bbmike

Should we ask Apple to crack into Tanaka's iPhone?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

PAK

Wonder, how much of the budget was consumed by hiring all those actors and how much was actually left for a proper design and development of the game itself...