New game from original X-Com creator: Phoenix Point

Started by IronX, March 18, 2016, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

"Phoenix Point is our new game - turn based tactical combat - world based strategy"

http://www.phoenixpoint.info/

No other info at this time.

JasonPratt

Evocative site background art.

....annnnnd that's all, so far.  :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PAK

Apparently, Mr. Gollop said something like this in an old interview: "After the first X-COM I was so worn out by the development that I wanted to do something in a new direction. I proposed an X-COM style game based on a kind of Lovecraftian Chthulu mythos set in the 1930s with cults, portals into a parallel world and Nazis."  ;)

PAK

And, Pray the Old Gods, this new game will be moddable, and some clever guy will rebuild the old X-Com using the new Gollop's engine...  :coolsmiley:

JasonPratt

The Open X-Com project is pretty good by itself, so I'm up for Lovecraftian X-Com. (Which was kind of "Terror From the Deep" anyway.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 18, 2016, 12:10:15 PM
Evocative site background art.

....annnnnd that's all, so far.  :P

But the background art does tell me my hopes for a historical, tactical X-COM type game (like Soldiers at War) are dashed yet once again.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FarAway Sooner

I'm okay with alternate historical.

Heck, the only thing better than Nazis riding dinosaurs are cultist Nazis riding dinosaurs! 

Heil Cthulhu!!

Dread Rlyeh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Tpek

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on March 19, 2016, 11:22:14 AM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I think your cat just walked across your keyboard.

Dread Rlyeh

;D

I'm very curious how this project is going to flesh out.  Obviously I like some of the elements of the presumed setting, but I hope the tactical gameplay is solid.  Tentacles crossed!

PAK

Quote from: Tpek on March 19, 2016, 12:43:23 PM

I think your cat just walked across your keyboard.

He (? - It?) ate his cat already 😱

ghostryder

More substantial on information is the Xenonauts2  site.

I think the first was okay but the art killed it as did the engine that was used---going 3d in unity could be just what is needed--

undercovergeek

does this allow for spasmodically jerky buxom ladies to represent characters in the game?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 19, 2016, 01:06:27 PM
does this allow for spasmodically jerky buxom ladies to represent characters in the game?

I suspect some such things might appear via mods.

salazarus

Backer build is up. It is pre-alpha but it already looks batter than xcom. I like the free aiming. Enemies can bleed and loose limbs. Gameplay: