PlayWay publishers massive weekend Steam sale this weekend

Started by JasonPratt, July 30, 2022, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/PlayWaySale2022

They sure have an eclectic mix of hit-and-miss games from a bunch of different developers! For our purposes some relevant games are:

Uboat, currently only $10.50! Very well worth it for a modern WW2 sim (plus mods to make it more hardcore), though possibly not up to the standard of fully modded Silent Hunter games. Still in beta after several years (more like a very late alpha since functionality is still being added), but plenty of good playing. (A destroyer sim is in the works and has a playable demo already.) Support and improvement remains ongoing.

Aircraft Carrier Survival, owned it on release (and in the demo) but haven't played it yet.

Plane Mechanic Simulator, currently kind of abandoned, but still a lot of content to chill around with, fixing British combat aircraft during WW2.

Radio Commander, sort of a hit-and-miss game with a good premise (tracking and ordering platoon missions by radio in Vietnam) but with a story also run by radio which kind of grated on some players (since that's bad radio discipline!)

Tank Mechanic Simulator, more supported than PMS, but less detailed in many ways, and more for museum recovery.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

I enjoyed pottering around with both plane and tank mechanic simulator
Own uboat but because it's single player AND open world I just don't get around to it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

I already have the games that interest me. However, some of their upcoming titles are looking interesting:

-Destroyer: The U-boat Hunter
-Kaiju Commander
-Sherman Commander
-Tank Squad
-Deadwater Saloon
-Orc Warchief

But the number of new titles coming out from this publisher makes me wonder if they are just a "game mill" throwing cheap pulp games against the wall to see what sticks. For example some upcoming titles are:

-I am Jesus Christ (this is no misprint...a Jesus simulator I guess?)
-Autopsy Simulator
-Disco Simulator
-Hairdresser Simulator
-Pets Hotel
-Car Wash Simulator
-Dirty Jobs Simulator

There must be several hundred titles listed under "coming soon."

But to be fair, I am pretty good with the titles I have from them.   

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Yeah those "XYZ Simulator" titles are hit or miss.  As far as I can tell they're just cheap and dirty Unity asset flips.  The fun themes just distract from the fact that you're basically just doing busywork.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Quote from: al_infierno on August 01, 2022, 12:43:28 PM
Yeah those "XYZ Simulator" titles are hit or miss.  As far as I can tell they're just cheap and dirty Unity asset flips.  The fun themes just distract from the fact that you're basically just doing busywork.

Not all of them -- the Mechanic simulator games are well-known for quality (more or less, with some variance, the Car Mechanic line having the most work and polish).

Come to think of it, there's a "survival" sale on Steam early this week, and I think Bunker Simulator (or whatever it's called) is in there. If it wasn't early access, I might try it...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

The_Admiral

Quote-Destroyer: The U-boat Hunter
They don't publish that one anymore. They made a deal for a (rather) big buck with Daedalic instead (although obviously they are still a major shareholder of the dev studio to begin with). Clearly it was an illustration of Playway believing it did not fit the catalogue as happily as other games, which is an interesting situation. It also kinda means that it was perhaps the best way to make sure that the dev team would still be able to deliver the hardcore experience they wanted to provide to the, well, hardcore players, besides easier game modes, which is something the devs have been adamant to reaffirm over the last few weeks - which certainly is cool.

QuoteBut the number of new titles coming out from this publisher makes me wonder if they are just a "game mill" throwing cheap pulp games against the wall to see what sticks.
Haha AT, oh you, my dear sweet Summer child, if only you knew about the half of the quarter of the beginning of their bag of tricks, not sure you'd dare to buy a game ever again...  ;)

Yet truly, they still deliver gems regularly (beyond the few meme games). Out of all this flow of stuff of varying quality & taste, besides Destroyer mentioned, my (personal) feeling is that you should all keep an eye on Tank Squad. The team has the bucks, the talent & the research to make it a fantastic thing, and I am confident they'll deliver based on what I've been following. My 2 cts :)

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 01, 2022, 11:09:11 AM

But the number of new titles coming out from this publisher makes me wonder if they are just a "game mill" throwing cheap pulp games against the wall to see what sticks. For example some upcoming titles are:

-I am Jesus Christ (this is no misprint...a Jesus simulator I guess?)
-Autopsy Simulator
-Disco Simulator
-Hairdresser Simulator
-Pets Hotel
-Car Wash Simulator
-Dirty Jobs Simulator

There must be several hundred titles listed under "coming soon."

But to be fair, I am pretty good with the titles I have from them.

Wait for the next-gen mash-up they're working on, "I am Jesus Christ's Hairdresser Simulator".

:)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

When do they come-out with the, 'Gusington Simulator'? I'm thinking PG 30+ for gratuitous Loin-Moistening.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 06, 2022, 10:23:47 AM
When do they come-out with the, 'Gusington Simulator'? I'm thinking PG 30+ for gratuitous Loin-Moistening.  ^-^

Yes, depends on the situation usually, but I'd say this one wouldn't be good to "release" on "early access"  :coolsmiley:

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 06, 2022, 10:23:47 AM

I am legitimately somewhat surprised that someone (maybe crowdrake!) hasn't put together a "Gus Team Seal" game yet.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd