It's the Weekend...

Started by Bison, May 25, 2012, 05:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

I just picked up the new, single-player Ticket to Ride from Steam, since I'm a sucker for board game conversions.  Add that one to my list.

Huw the Poo

Well I don't have the expansion, but I guess I'll give Armada another go this weekend then.  Thanks for the input chaps.

MarkShot

I have Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne for the iPad, but haven't played them too much.

Just played two lovely CMBB scenarios the last two nights; both defensive.  That's refreshing, since most scenarios are played as the attacker.

Both played as the Axis.

Last night's was the defense of a ridge line with one lone Panther, infantry, and HMGs.  The Soviets advanced with infantry and T-34s.  I used the HMGs from the flanks to slow down the infantry coming up the ridge.  Also, used them to button the T-34s.  My infantry I mainly had placed in a reverse slope position (as I expected the enemy to have tanks and the ridge to get overrun).  I managed to get the Panther some nice firing positions from the crest of the ridge by shooting and then rapidly displacing behind the ridge.  It was a good fight.

Tonight's fight was more of a close quarters brawl.  Again holding a line, but this time along a road.  (all infantry)  Although I had three wooden HMG pill boxes and barbed wire, the defenses were for the most part deployed too forward.  Thus, they fail to create any real kill sacks.  Still I used my initial infantry to prevent flanking of the pill boxes.  They held on long enough that the arriving reinforcements could advance while taking minimal fire.  After a few minutes of fire exchanged back and forth, I was able to counter-attack and the Russians surrendered.

Well, time to go practice some Mandarin.

Bison

I never could seem to get the original CM to run very well on Win7.

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on May 25, 2012, 09:30:20 AM
^Martok, you were having problems with the Warlock demo?
I don't know yet.  However, given I've had issues with Steam in the past, I'm prepared to run into difficulties.  Just downloading the damn thing gave me fits, as I had to jump through a ridiculous number of hoops to do so. 

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 25, 2012, 05:53:01 PM
Well I don't have the expansion, but I guess I'll give Armada another go this weekend then.  Thanks for the input chaps.
Good luck Huw.  I hope you enjoy it! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

Diablo 3 will feature prominently again this weekend. I'll probably get in something else as well, but currently have no idea what that might end up being.

MarkShot

Quote from: Bison on May 25, 2012, 11:08:30 PM

Well, I am still running WinXP Pro SP3 32bit.  So, I am enjoying CMBB/CMAK while they last.  In 2013, I will get a new gaming PC and maybe also replace other PCs (or, at least, upgrade to Win7).  For now, I don't even have to bother with eNuisance and the Vista patch.  :)

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on May 25, 2012, 11:08:30 PM

You can pay Battlefront for Win7/Vista compatibility patches for CMBB & CMAK for like $5 each.  They also require you use their limited online activation system with those paid updates, too.  :-\

MarkShot

I heard that you lose fog effects with NVidia cards under DX10. True?

Staggerwing

Funny thing- I just ran a quick 14 turns of CMAK w/out any issue under Win7... and with no stinkin' patches!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 26, 2012, 06:20:39 PM
Funny thing- I just ran a quick 14 turns of CMAK w/out any issue under Win7... and with no stinkin' patches!

That can be done if you're using an AMD/ATI video card. 

I recall you couldn't do it with Nvidias in the past.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on May 26, 2012, 06:47:18 PM
That can be done if you're using an AMD/ATI video card. 

I recall you couldn't do it with Nvidias in the past.

Nvidia Geforce GT430 is how I roll...
Mayhaps it doth occur only in the presence of Nvidia cards yet even older and grayer of beard than that which currently slumbers within mine own humble 'puter. ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

Staggerwing is having Pendragon withdrawal....hopefully Barthheart returns from the lost world soon...LOL.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MarkShot

哈哈哈!(Chinese for ha ha ha)

I think I know what you mean.  It was really weird.  Yesterday, I sent someone an email (in English, but forwarding a story I wrote in Chinese), and reread it later.  Now, I didn't proof read it, but the English had some decidedly Chinese broken grammar feel to it ... beyond my usual careless writing without proof reading.  Truly scary.  (maybe my brain is being rewired)

It should be quite an experience getting a new PC 2013.  I think 6 years is the longest I've ever gone between new systems.  I'll have to compile a list of games worthy of it.  Despite not playing flight/racing sims anymore, I'll have to buy at least one game which is a complete graphics extravaganza to really indulged myself.

Bison

Quote from: MarkShot on May 26, 2012, 08:30:16 PM
It should be quite an experience getting a new PC 2013.  I think 6 years is the longest I've ever gone between new systems.  I'll have to compile a list of games worthy of it.  Despite not playing flight/racing sims anymore, I'll have to buy at least one game which is a complete graphics extravaganza to really indulged myself.

It's always exciting to get a new rig.  I personally find the months of research and system planning to be quite fun plus you get up to speed on all the latest and upcoming tech.  If you can accept the e-liscense the new CM is pretty awesome and the mods that the community is developing really adds to the graphic love.  Not going to blow away a new system, but it at least would be a game you might enjoy for the life of the rig.