Main Menu

Diablo 3

Started by Bison, May 15, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

ummmm....so...like...is Diablo 3 worth it?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

For WoW players with a yearly subscription it was, since they had the game as a free download. I doubt very much if my missus would have bothered otherwise.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

JH.  If you like Diablo lore and gameplay, yes if you play in moderation.  I just don't see how it can hold anyones attention beyond the first play through storywise.  Its a fun game with great mechanics and character building is slowing evolving into a fun aspect, but the dungeons layout is a huge negative IMO.

Bison

Quote from: bob48 on September 01, 2012, 11:39:48 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 01, 2012, 10:52:32 AM
I'd give Nefaro's left nut for a completely randomized dungeon delve like Diablo 1.  Who f'n cares about the story by the 3d time through?  All you want is to kill crap, get loot and experience a new dungeon layout.

Mrs Bob said much the same, although not quite in the same succinct way as you did Bison  :)

Hey just remember that Nefaro does yet know I've bartered one of his boys for random dungeons.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on September 01, 2012, 10:52:32 AM
I'd give Nefaro's left nut for a completely randomized dungeon delve like Diablo 1.  Who f'n cares about the story by the 3d time through?  All you want is to kill crap, get loot and experience a new dungeon layout.

If they changed the graphics and mood to a darker setting, in Torchlight 2, they'd burn Steams' bandwidth with all the sales. 

Likewise, if Din's Curse had better production work done on it for a sequel then it too would roast 'em.   IIRC it was another one of those good indie games that Steam turned away, at least originally (is it on there now?).  Along with Gettysburg Scrouge of War, the Cryptic Comet stuff, and others I've seen mention they tried and were refused.  I'm also looking forward to seeing some better produced Roguelikes that seem to be sprouting up these days, too, since Dredmor was a hit.  I'm surprised that the Steamlords actually approved that one. *shrug* 

I'd give a hairy boy, and some fingers to scratch it with, if someone made a good-looking and user-friendly Roguelike, which plays as Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup does, with even more mechanics thrown in from other similar ones.  Essentially the King of difficult dungeon crawling RPGs, turn-based.  8)

Uhh.. was I ranting again?  Hey Gus, I hope you don't have to reinstall Diablo 3.   Perhaps you should try the 'Options' menu on the patcher program & turn off 'Peer-to-Peer' for the updater and see if it goes through?  I'm kinda looking forward to killing da boss in multiplayer. 

Speaking of multiplayer, has anyone played Din's Curse online with others?

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 11:44:59 AM
ummmm....so...like...is Diablo 3 worth it?

Get it after some price drops. 

The dark setting is great, as always, but it's pretty short on content so you'll be replaying the same areas (only with tougher opponents) over & over, with little in the way of layout randomization.

I'm curious as to how that other one, releasing on the 5th, will be.  Looks like another action RPG but with some story to it. 

Gusington

I agree, get it after the price drops. For 60.00 it is not worth it.

Kushan the error message I am getting is something along the lines that D3 cannot connect to the server and update the game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

The biggest turn off for me so far has been the available classes.  None of them excite me.  Witch doctor? I don't think so.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Kushan

Quote from: Gusington on September 01, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
Kushan the error message I am getting is something along the lines that D3 cannot connect to the server and update the game.

First I would try Nefaro's idea of turning off peer-to-peer under options. Also check and see if your AV software has blocked the Blizzard downloader.

If those don't work, go into your main Diablo 3 installation folder and delete the contents in the updates folder. Then go into Data_D3/PC/MPQs/Win and Date_D3/PC/MPQs/Cache/ and delete the MPQ files in those folders. Not sure if any of that will do anything. But if you got a corrupted download for some reason, deleting anything that has updates/patch info in it may clear it up. If none of those work you may just have to reinstall.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 02:48:15 PM
The biggest turn off for me so far has been the available classes.  None of them excite me.  Witch doctor? I don't think so.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on September 01, 2012, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 01, 2012, 02:28:31 PM

First I would try Nefaro's idea of turning off peer-to-peer under options. Also check and see if your AV software has blocked the Blizzard downloader.

If those don't work, go into your main Diablo 3 installation folder and delete the contents in the updates folder. Then go into Data_D3/PC/MPQs/Win and Date_D3/PC/MPQs/Cache/ and delete the MPQ files in those folders. Not sure if any of that will do anything. But if you got a corrupted download for some reason, deleting anything that has updates/patch info in it may clear it up. If none of those work you may just have to reinstall.

Definitely may need to kill the update cache junk if all else fails, as Kushan said.

I recall when I was first downloading the game - there were multiple issues and I had to go in and manually delete stuff to get it to finally work.. only to have another issue pop up.  Made me wanna reach through the internet and slap someone at Blizzard for such a crappy installer & updater.  I've had no update problems since then, however, and I probably just jinxed myself for the next one by saying that.  :-\

So try random cursing about how sh***y Blizzards support programs are!  Worked for me!   :P

Edit:  One thing to check & see - If Gus is using Norton antivirus.  Never fails to jack up all your stuff!  :P

Gusington

I am using Norton. You are like CyberMatlock.

I will try the above when I am not totally shot. I actually have an extra kid living with me this weekend on top of my own (my two year old nephew) and it has been chaos around here for two days. I finally had a chance to advance past the bugs I reached in The Witcher 2, got past the Prologue and have now entered the first Chapter finally.

So my fury has lessened a bit with the whole Diablo thing.

But I will try the above, hopefully tomorrow when my additional kid goes back to his real parents.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Booo Norton!

That thing regularly manages to attack legitimate programs.  My first move, on getting a computer with Norton, would be to uninstall that overzealous hog and put Avast on.   :-*

I've not messed with it in years (as I've usually ended up removing the thing, even on customers' PCs) so I dunno how many hoops you'll have to jump through to put the D3 update (and exe too) on it's "Whitelist".

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on September 02, 2012, 03:45:52 AM
Booo Norton!

That thing regularly manages to attack legitimate programs.  My first move, on getting a computer with Norton, would be to uninstall that overzealous hog and put Avast on.   :-*

I've not messed with it in years (as I've usually ended up removing the thing, even on customers' PCs) so I dunno how many hoops you'll have to jump through to put the D3 update (and exe too) on it's "Whitelist".

Norton isn't the blotted POS is was in the early 2000's. I switched to Norton last year and haven't had any issues with it. I had problems with both Kaspersky and MS Security Essentials tagging the Blizzard downloader as a virus, but Norton works just fine for me.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

LongBlade

I use Webroot. Last year it was ranked first in terms of testing by a couple of tech mags.

<does google incantation>

Here's PC Mag's list for this year.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.