Author Topic: The Quotable Groghead  (Read 2194 times)

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
  • Giudecca in the hell of unknowing
Re: The Quotable Groghead
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way."

- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Online Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 06:42:24 PM »
^Wow...that is some quote.
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way."

I can't help but read this to the voice of Anton Chigurh in my head.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »

I can't help but read this to the voice of Anton Chigurh in my head.

Heh, the Judge in BM is quite a similar character to Chigurh so it makes sense.   O0
It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
"It took me a long time, my lifetime so to speak, to realize that the colour of an eye half seen, or the source of some distant sound, are closer to Giudecca in the hell of un­knowing than the existence of God, or the origins of protoplasm, or the existence of self, and even less worthy than these to occupy the wise. It’s a bit much, a lifetime, to achieve this consoling conclusion, it doesn’t leave you much time to profit by it."

- Samuel Beckett, "First Love"

- MengJiao

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 08:22:53 PM »
“Friends are enemies who have not attacked you yet.”

- Skipper the Penguin from the Madagascar cartoon series.  (haven't seen it myself, full disclaimer  ;D  but someone posted this on a quotes thread on another forum and I had to share it here.)

- MengJiao

Online Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »
^That one rings a little too true.
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline rustyshackleford

• Velites
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 08:28:46 PM »

- Skipper the Penguin from the Madagascar cartoon series.  (haven't seen it myself, full disclaimer  ;D  but someone posted this on a quotes thread on another forum and I had to share it here.)

;D :D That was in a children's cartoon series? Brutal lesson to learn when you're 8 :))

Offline jamus34

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »

;D :D That was in a children's cartoon series? Brutal lesson to learn when you're 8 :))

Watch Watership Down or Grave of the Fireflies; animated movies guaranteed to scar kids
Insert witty comment here.

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
“What is it?”
“The uh, stuff that dreams are made of.”

- The Maltese Falcon

- MengJiao