JudgeDredd! Brother!

Started by Toonces, December 16, 2020, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

JD,
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but you sort of went radio silent so I've been waiting until you show back up.  I sure hope you stick around a bit, I'm thinking of starting to build scale models again.

So by a bit of background, my great grandparents on my mom's side were supposedly 100% Italian, my grandfather 100% and grandmother 0%.  So my mom should have been 25% Italian and I have dark skin, hair, and eyes and so have always identified myself as Italian.

As an aside, my maternal grandmom was from West Virginia.

My father's side is a mixed bag, but he was definitely European white, probably English and Irish. 

So, it came as a very interesting and somewhat shocking discovery when I had an Ancestry DNA done and got the following results:

Scotland 33%
Ireland 24%
England & Northwestern Europe 18%
Germanic Europe 13%
Northern Italy 6%
Spain 6%

Additional Communities
Eastern Kentucky & Northeast Tennessee Settlers
Eastern Kentucky & Southwestern Virginia Settlers
Central Appalachia Settlers
Southern West Virginia Settlers

Also a shout out to MikeGER, my German brother to whom I am apparently closer to than the Italians.  LOL.  I do NOT look Scottish or German.

But...at least now we know where my strong affection for scotch and beer comes from!

The Ancestry DNA thing was really neat.  I'm sure big brother has me in some database now, but whatevz, it was still cool.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

On a similar note, my wife got hers done and she's also Scottish and Irish, but she's got a good amount of Icelandic in there.  Call me crazy, but I find that pretty damn hot!   :smitten:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Ubercat

I don't know..... you look pretty blond to me.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Toonces

Why won't JudgeDredd reply to my thread?   :-[   :-\   :'(

Gusington

My Ancestry profile pegged both The Wife and I to be mostly...Lithuanian, and from pretty much the same part of Lithuania, where there used to be huge Jewish populations. Go back far enough and we're probably related :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Ubercat on December 16, 2020, 08:02:46 PM

Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads on the planet.  They are a pale, pale people.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2020, 10:16:13 PM
Now there's your Scottish side coming out. Not being heard and thinking you're just a number.

I hear you brother. I didn't answer because of the very thing you love...Scotch!! I was crawling upstairs to bed at 3am this morning, knocking just about everything around and waking everyone up. Still...it gave me a reason to whinge at everyone for leaving shite on the stairs!!

It doesn't just explain your love of Scotch and beer - but water too....you surf yes? I don't know if you've heard but Scotland is a watery old place. Some cracking waves on the West cost - but you better be ready to lose yer tadger for a few days!!

I welcome you to your new found home with open arms. Just make sure if you ever visit your homeland that you bring arm bands or some other similar floating device  :smitten:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: airboy on January 01, 2021, 02:33:26 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on December 16, 2020, 08:02:46 PM

Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads on the planet.  They are a pale, pale people.
It's the colour inside that's important  :P
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

^Now there's the posts we have all come to love.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm home!

Now, what football (or do you call it rugby?) team do I need to root for?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2020, 10:16:13 PM

I'll reply.   ;)
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2021, 09:32:27 PM
I'm home!

Now, what football (or do you call it rugby?) team do I need to root for?
Whoah - steady tiger...jumping straight in to the sectarian shite that plagues my beautiful city.

First off our football is your soccer and our rugby is your football.

The first thing you have to know - as a Scot - is that you always over exaggerate how your Scottish team are going to do - in any sport - international or local. You will almost always be be presented with the exact opposite - a distinct defeat - but that's where the genius comes in...you expect that so you're not actually disappointed. So you expect too much but understand you are going to get far less...it's genius really.

Second rule on sport and this is also hugely important is that you always - and I mean ALWAYS - support the other team that's playing England. No exceptions. It's just a thang. The English don't like it. I was always getting it in the ear "Why don't you support England when we would support Scotland if they were still in the competition"...but the answer to that is simple...those are easy, meaningless words because generally speaking Scotland isn't in a competition that England aren't in.

The other reason for it you can give is "You've goat plenty of supporters - ye dinnae need ma support"...

Now - onto teams.

Kind of depends on your religious bending. Catholic and you'll support either Glasgow Celtic or Hibernian. Protestant (Church of Scotland or whatever your US equivalent is) and you'd probably go for Glasgow Rangers or Hearts. You could of course support whatever team you want - but if you are found to be supporting "the wrong team", then there could be bother.

Of course that was all in the 80s - but I'm not sure it's changed a whole lot.

In terms of Rugby - and there is no religious animosity involved with that - then you'd likely support Glasgow Warriors or Edinburgh. Neither are having a good time of it in the Pro 14 tournament they play in. But - as I said at the beginning - that's what you understand.

Basically - when it comes to sport - your cross to bear is understanding you'll get the shite ripped oot ye for yer team dane so poor.

Just one other thing though - you come across as quite a jolly, light hearted fellow. That's not normal for a Scot. But dinnae worry - we'll batter that oot ye when it comes time fer yer initiation

O0
Alba gu' brath

jamus34

Bout the only Scot I got in me is whatever bottle I'm partaking in at the time.
Insert witty comment here.

Toonces

LOL, that really made me laugh JD.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath