RIP Indiana Jones Swordsman

Started by mirth, June 25, 2014, 08:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Terry Jones, the stuntman who played the Cairo swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark, passed away at 81

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/indiana-jones-stuntman-terry-richards-dies-at-81-89872592282.html

RIP
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Are you f*cking kidding me?? Jeez is there no one cool left?

I read somewhere that that scene was totally unscripted...Harrison Ford was supposed to have fought the stuntman in that scene but had a bad case of the runs and just pulled the trigger.

Can't remember where I read that but I'm pretty sure it's true.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 25, 2014, 08:59:10 PM

I read somewhere that that scene was totally unscripted...Harrison Ford was supposed to have fought the stuntman in that scene but had a bad case of the runs and just pulled the trigger.

Yeah that's it. Ford had dysentery and didn't want to spend the time shooting the scene as scripted with him sword fighting the guy. It would have been at least a day of intense stunt work. Basically he said, "Why don't I just shoot the bastard". And that's what they went with.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on June 25, 2014, 08:59:10 PM

I've read that before as well. Of course, I'm old enough to have seen Indiana Jones first run in the movie theater. That scene....the entire audience seemed to hold it's breath watching his swordplay, then when Indy shot him the many held breaths exploded into laughter throughout the theater. That was just pure magic.

OJsDad

However it came about, it is one of the most iconic movie scenes of all time, or at least for my generation.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

That's exactly what i said to The Wife last night. She couldn't believe the swordsman was 81 now! Raiders was one of my early movie going experiences...IIRC I was six when it came out and my parents took me to see it. The ending of course has scarred me for life.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Was he the only person Harrison Ford shot in the film? I seem to remember Ford fighting, clubbing, kicking, and running over people but did he shoot anybody else? The guy he should've shot was the tough German in the truck. Or the tough German under the plane.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 26, 2014, 09:26:23 AM
Was he the only person Harrison Ford shot in the film? I seem to remember Ford fighting, clubbing, kicking, and running over people but did he shoot anybody else? The guy he should've shot was the tough German in the truck. Or the tough German under the plane.

Yea, he shot some Germans before his fight at the plane.  And he shot some guys when he first went to see Marion.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on June 26, 2014, 07:13:22 AM
...IIRC I was six when it came out and my parents took me to see it. The ending of course has scarred me for life.

SIX! Good grief...... get off my lawn!  >:(

Martok

Actually, I think Gus had to have been 8 or 9 when the movie was first released (1981). 

I, on the other hand, was only 5 at the time.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Barthheart

Quote from: Martok on June 26, 2014, 01:43:50 PM
Actually, I think Gus had to have been 8 or 9 when the movie was first released (1981). 

I, on the other hand, was only 5 at the time.  ;D

:knuppel2:

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"It's not the years, it's the mileage".

Sir Slash

1981? In 1981 I had already been married 3 times and had 2 kids. Or was it married 2 times with 3 kids? That was along time ago. I bet all you young people had little Indiana Jones hats you wore to bed at night. ;D When I was a kid, my hero was Daniel Boone. And he was still alive.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 27, 2014, 09:00:27 AMWhen I was a kid, my hero was Daniel Boone. And he was still alive.

Daniel Boone, eh?  I guess Steelie was a little too old for you to relate to?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers